gamblingisfun
    I'm a 'handicapper'...
    gamblingisfun's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8632

How do you guys figure ROI?

I know that if you invest 100 bucks and make 10 that's 10% ROI, I know that, that's easy. But I've read around here that if you make 5-10% ROI on bets you're amazing. The way I figure my own ROI isn't how much I return per actual bet, but over the whole season. So if I put 1000 in my account and its at 1500 at some point then I've made a 50% return. Even if I made 1000 bets for 5 bucks each and slowly made it up to 1500, which would be a low ROI per bet. I figure if I'm using that same dollar to invest over and over again, I shouldn't have to count it multiple times for the same end result. It's different from stock ROI. When I buy a stock those dollars stay there until I sell it. But with sports I could make 100 1 dollar bets with the same dollar and if I end up with 2 dollars then I doubled my money, even if the ROI per bet is 1%.

EXhoosier10
    EXhoosier10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4390

I have to think about this more, but a quick answer:

Looking at it from a results standpoint, the way you're calculating it, profit / initial investment, suffices.

From a(n) predictive/analytical standpoint, profit / amount wagered is the more telling number. Some players make a ton of plays to grind out a 50% bankroll growth, while others pick a game a day and still grow 50%. The more plays needed to make profit, the lesser of an edge the player would have on his bets. If your goal is to have as big of an edge as possible, I'd rather make fewer bets to get to the same end point.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: No coincidences

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9221

I take most notice of how much profit I make per dollar risked.

theclutch7
    theclutch7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 49

theclutch7

don't know! z

theclutch7

what the he

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse
    NunyaBidness's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4507

Quote Originally Posted by gamblingisfun View Post
    I know that if you invest 100 bucks and make 10 that's 10% ROI, I know that, that's easy. But I've read around here that if you make 5-10% ROI on bets you're amazing. The way I figure my own ROI isn't how much I return per actual bet, but over the whole season. So if I put 1000 in my account and its at 1500 at some point then I've made a 50% return. Even if I made 1000 bets for 5 bucks each and slowly made it up to 1500, which would be a low ROI per bet. I figure if I'm using that same dollar to invest over and over again, I shouldn't have to count it multiple times for the same end result. It's different from stock ROI. When I buy a stock those dollars stay there until I sell it. But with sports I could make 100 1 dollar bets with the same dollar and if I end up with 2 dollars then I doubled my money, even if the ROI per bet is 1%.
    Roi isn't important. Growth is. You can optimize your ROI and not be maximizing your bankroll growth.

Think of why 7-11 would rather sell you a 64oz slurpee at 2 cents profit per oz than a 16oz slurpee at 5 cents profit per oz.

HeeeHAWWWW
    HeeeHAWWWW's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 578

Quote Originally Posted by NunyaBidness View Post
    Roi isn't important. Growth is.
    Yep (although with the qualifier that RoI is more useful for proving success of a methodology).

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse
    NunyaBidness's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4507

Agreed.

TheProdigy8199
    TheProdigy8199's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 293

Quote Originally Posted by EXhoosier10 View Post
    I have to think about this more, but a quick answer:

Looking at it from a results standpoint, the way you're calculating it, profit / initial investment, suffices.

From a(n) predictive/analytical standpoint, profit / amount wagered is the more telling number. Some players make a ton of plays to grind out a 50% bankroll growth, while others pick a game a day and still grow 50%. The more plays needed to make profit, the lesser of an edge the player would have on his bets. If your goal is to have as big of an edge as possible, I'd rather make fewer bets to get to the same end point.
    Couldn't agree with you more. It's easier to pick one game a day that presents good enough value to warrant a larger play than it is to make 5 smaller wagers and hope to go 3-1 to make the same profit.

theclutch7

do the math!

ticklz
    Tick L Me Elmo
    ticklz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

Profit/Initial Investment...Starting BR 1000... 30 days later your sitting with 1100 in the acct... 10% ROI...Calculation of how much money you have made on your Original investment