No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Which is the more poorly-run MLB franchise: Jays, Dodgers or Angels

Honestly, all three represent everything that can go wrong when too much money mixes with not enough heart. These ballclubs are put together like fantasy teams. They're successful in name only; offseason contenders. They do none of the little things it takes to win in baseball. Just awful, and honestly, even worse than the Cubs' organization if that is at all possible.

If only there were no guaranteed money in baseball. That's what makes the NFL so successful -- how much of Revis' new contract with the Bucs is guaranteed? Exactly. Do you think Carlos Marmol gives a shit that he blew today's game (again)? He's cashing that check no matter what. The Jays, Dodgers and Angels have these guys up and down their roster. Winning is a moot point once you reach a certain tax bracket.

To win in baseball, you need to play defense, have stellar relief pitching, hungry young kids mixed with veterans who still have something to prove, good chemistry and sacrifice personal gain for the good of the ballclub. It's a tried and true method. These franchises just don't get it.

LordVodka
    LordVodka's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 156

Right now, I'd say the Angels as far as wasting too much money goes but shitty teams like the Pirates are worse than them.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by LordVodka View Post
    Right now, I'd say the Angels as far as wasting too much money goes but shitty teams like the Pirates are worse than them.
    What? I'd take the Pirates' organization over LAA's in a heartbeat. Good farm system, solid young kids, crafty veterans and one of the best bullpens in baseball. They have a lot of things to build around. The Angels don't.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2392

gotta lotta good things going for them now

LordVodka
    LordVodka's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 156

When was the last time Pirates made the playoffs?

R.P. McMurphy
    Update your status
    R.P. McMurphy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 175

Some of these GM's and teams don't know how to build and are not great talent evaluators. They think it's just as simple to sign a star on the wrong side of 30 to a max contract for too many years to generate buzz and sell tickets. Guess what when you sign these guys like Pujols, A-Rod, Dickey to ridiculous contracts there is a reason there former team had no problem letting them go. They got the best out of them in their prime and now you can pay them the ransom they demand for their past glory as they fade and deal with injuries more often!

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

The Pirates are also spending about as much as one fat ugly LAA contract. Total.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

I don't think that really has too much to do with the question.

I think we are looking at who is running a franchise poorly now.

should the new Pirate owner and GM be scrutinized for failures before 2007?

by the way, when was the last time the Jays made the playoffs?

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

yea blue jays and pirates haven't made playoffs in 20 years. blue jays play in a tough division. dodgers made wild card in 07

jnickell100
    jnickell100's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 269

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    Honestly, all three represent everything that can go wrong when too much money mixes with not enough heart. These ballclubs are put together like fantasy teams. They're successful in name only; offseason contenders. They do none of the little things it takes to win in baseball. Just awful, and honestly, even worse than the Cubs' organization if that is at all possible.

If only there were no guaranteed money in baseball. That's what makes the NFL so successful -- how much of Revis' new contract with the Bucs is guaranteed? Exactly. Do you think Carlos Marmol gives a shit that he blew today's game (again)? He's cashing that check no matter what. The Jays, Dodgers and Angels have these guys up and down their roster. Winning is a moot point once you reach a certain tax bracket.

To win in baseball, you need to play defense, have stellar relief pitching, hungry young kids mixed with veterans who still have something to prove, good chemistry and sacrifice personal gain for the good of the ballclub. It's a tried and true method. These franchises just don't get it.
    NC, exactly how closely have you been watching the dodgers this year? They've been riddled with injuries the whole season. Hanley out at SS, his replacement has a BA of under .200. Mark Ellis at second base has been out for a week and a half now. Adrian gonzalez hurt his neck, Crawford has been out. Billingsly, is out for the year,Lilly is out, Capuano hurt and we all know about Grienke.

So starting SS, 2nd, LF have all been out for a whole. Greinke,lilly, Capunai and billingsly starting pitchers are out, their2/4/5 starting pitchers. Give it some time.

The Samurai
    The Samurai's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 326

What? I'd take the Pirates' organization over LAA's in a heartbeat. Good farm system, solid young kids, crafty veterans and one of the best bullpens in baseball. They have a lot of things to build around. The Angels don't.
    Sounds like someone's ass is sore from flushing too much $ down the laa crapper. Comparing laa and pit is ludicrous. Laa have been competitive for the last 15 seasons. Pit hasn't played a season over .500 or made the playoffs since '92 and they won't this year either. While laa have definitely been mismanaged in many areas, comparing them to one of the worst clubs in modern history, sounds like sour grapes to me.

Aaron McCrevice
    Aaron McCrevice's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 655

Blue Jays are merely a tax write-off for Rogers Communications.

Same thing with Dodgers & Guggenheim.

Angels on the other hand, could be an illegal immigrant & drug laundering front for Arte Moreno

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by The Samurai View Post
    Sounds like someone's ass is sore from flushing too much $ down the laa crapper. Comparing laa and pit is ludicrous. Laa have been competitive for the last 15 seasons. Pit hasn't played a season over .500 or made the playoffs since '92 and they won't this year either. While laa have definitely been mismanaged in many areas, comparing them to one of the worst clubs in modern history, sounds like sour grapes to me.
    I never bet on the Angels. Ever. This discussion has nothing to do with gambling.

Stop focusing on the past. This is about presently-run franchises. If you'd rather have LAA's roster than Pittsburgh's, I'm not going to be able to convince you otherwise so it's a moot point but one is structured the right way and one isn't.

The Samurai

I never bet on the Angels. Ever. This discussion has nothing to do with gambling.

Stop focusing on the past. This is about presently-run franchises. If you'd rather have LAA's roster than Pittsburgh's, I'm not going to be able to convince you otherwise so it's a moot point but one is structured the right way and one isn't.
    To a certain degree, I agree with you. I would love to see the Buccos make a run but PAST HISTORY tells me they won't. No way they win a division that stl and cin play in. No way they beat out teams like lad, col, mil, was, and az for a wild card. As it sits now, I would say laa have about 4 bad contracts on their hands. Wilson, Pooholes, Hamilton, Wells (still on payroll). Guys like fat Jody, Vargas and most of the the rag arms in the pen are on short term low risk deals. So their is definitely mismanagement here. I just respectfully disagree that the pirates are a better organization. While I think laa are already in too big a hole to dig out, I still think they got a better shot at making a run than the pirates.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by The Samurai View Post
    To a certain degree, I agree with you. I would love to see the Buccos make a run but PAST HISTORY tells me they won't. No way they win a division that stl and cin play in. No way they beat out teams like lad, col, mil, was, and az for a wild card. As it sits now, I would say laa have about 4 bad contracts on their hands. Wilson, Pooholes, Hamilton, Wells (still on payroll). Guys like fat Jody, Vargas and most of the the rag arms in the pen are on short term low risk deals. So their is definitely mismanagement here. I just respectfully disagree that the pirates are a better organization. While I think laa are already in too big a hole to dig out, I still think they got a better shot at making a run than the pirates.
    The fact that it's even debatable is sad and pathetic.

The Samurai

The fact that it's even debatable is sad and pathetic.
    True that!!!

gryfyn1
    gryfyn1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

The Jays are not poorly run at all; they are overall very well run, and they took a shot acquiring several guys with potential to make a run while it looked like the Yankees and Sox were down. Alot of the moves they made turned out shitty, but not from a bad process.

The Dodgers are in a weird position, they had been run extremely poorly before the new ownership group and they overspent on players as that was the only way to spend the massive amount they had to spend. after one year there is no way to say if they are poorly run.

The Angels have made questionable deals signings each of the last two years, 10 year deal to a 31 year old was a bad idea, and trhowing massive amount at a questionable Josh Hamilton after 5 months of being a slightly above average hitter all the while filling a very thin pitching staff with borderline players and ignoring depth.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by gryfyn1 View Post
    The Jays are not poorly run at all; they are overall very well run, and they took a shot acquiring several guys with potential to make a run while it looked like the Yankees and Sox were down. Alot of the moves they made turned out shitty, but not from a bad process.
    Which was viewed as a good acquisition? China Doll Reyes? Shaky Josh Johnson? 38-year-old one-hit wonder R.A. Dickey? You could see this coming from a mile away.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Which was viewed as a good acquisition? China Doll Reyes? Shaky Josh Johnson? 38-year-old one-hit wonder R.A. Dickey? You could see this coming from a mile away.

Melky Cabrera?

Vegas39
    Vegas39's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 214

How were Cubs not included

4seasons
    4seasons's Avatar Become A Pro!

TO is in last place with 21 losses, which is the worst record in the League next to Houston & Miami. If you're mtaching up with the Fish & 'Stros, your team is a joke. TO has no business being 10-21, thus they by far are the worst run team of the ones you titiled.

Itsamazing777
    Not interested....
    Itsamazing777's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1760

Gibbons is terrible. But then again, if every pitcher sucks, who do you put in?