sitzlejd
    sitzlejd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 552

UCLA kicked to start both halves!

This could only happen to me...

Their punter fukked up and chose to kick to start the second half, even though they kicked to start the game.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

sitzlejd

UCLA had all the momentum going into half after a pick and quick TD to take the lead. They were getting the ball back in 2H so I was pumped for the momentum to continue. Then they defer somehow and ASU scores a TD on the opening drive.

tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 76

I find that very hard to believe, if its true I feel bad for you, as the coach should be fired instantly. Either you (if this did not happen), or the coach are the dumbest person alive.

sitzlejd

Check the drive summary. They had Petros Papadakis (who's the sideline reporter) explain what happened. Unphukkingreal.

I have UCLA ML and also ATS in a parlay.

CanuckG
    CanuckG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 584

UCLA won the toss. Officials gave UCLA their choices instead of wanting to defer to the second half or receive the ball they wanted to kick.

tto827

The coach is going to have a fun time explaining that decision to reporters after the game.

sitzlejd

Petros made it sound like the punter came out of the locker room before the rest of the team and made the decision. The refs asked if he was sure and he said yes.

JakeLc
    JakeLc's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 50

from LA times :
    A pregame gaffe by UCLA gave the ball to Arizona State to start the second half.

The Bruins won the toss, but captain Jeff Locke elected to kick off to start the game. It gave the Sun Devils the option in the second half.

tto827

Quote Originally Posted by JakeLc View Post
    from LA times :
    A pregame gaffe by UCLA gave the ball to Arizona State to start the second half.

The Bruins won the toss, but captain Jeff Locke elected to kick off to start the game. It gave the Sun Devils the option in the second half.
    What? That's also incorrect (not your statement, but the ruling), you defer to receive in the second half. Something is seriously off here, I hope we here something official on it.

JakeLc

supposedly instead of saying defer he said we want to kick it's all in the exact words he said

sitzlejd

Never seen this before in my life. The TV guys said it happens from time to time but it's extremely rare.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

hey just explained it. captains were late to get on the field, only guy out there was the ucla punter so he went up for the coin toss. apparently theres some kind of option that makes it so opposing team gets the ball twice. if he just deferred theyd be fine. refs didn't explain it to him, just said are you sure that what you want to do

tto827

Quote Originally Posted by JakeLc View Post
    supposedly instead of saying defer he said we want to kick it's all in the exact words he said
    wow, something tells me the ref is on a power trip, because I have heard teams say "we'll kick" and then still receive in the 2nd half. Thanks for explaining it but still stupid.

JakeLc

Bruins Nation@BruinNation And #UCLA's not knowing the difference between "kick" and "defer" results in a ASU field goal to start the second half. 21-20 Bruins.

34m Bruins Nation@BruinNation
    #UCLA elected to kick, not defer, after winning the kick so they have to kick again in the second half. I wish this was surprising.
    Last edited by SBR Jonelyn; 03-06-15 at 10:58 AM. Reason: image does not exist

ThaTopMoron
    Body-Bags
    ThaTopMoron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6898

fukkn bad beat and would piss me the hell off

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine
    swordsandtequila's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6482

Understand the rule. Winner of the toss has the choice of picking in the first half or second half, from which he can choose to kick or receive. By electing to kick (instead of deferring), first half was UCLA's, ASU gets the choice in the second half.
    Last edited by swordsandtequila; 10-27-12 at 04:47 PM.

theAkathist
    theAkathist's Avatar Become A Pro!

"he said heads-tails"

Ernie Mccracken
    Ernie Mccracken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4304

What a dumshit rule.

HR Paperstacks
    HR Paperstacks's Avatar Become A Pro!

There was a game I think last season where Nebraska kicked to start both halves too.

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine
    swordsandtequila's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6482

Quote Originally Posted by tto827 View Post
    wow, something tells me the ref is on a power trip, because I have heard teams say "we'll kick" and then still receive in the 2nd half. Thanks for explaining it but still stupid.
    No offense, but no you haven't. Winner of the toss (team A) gets to choose which half, period. By opting to kick or receive (instead of deferring), team A chooses the first half, by default second half choice is team B's. Team B could choose to kickoff (great defense, awful offense, it happens). If UCLA would have deferred, they would've had the choice in the second half.

It's a pretty simple, straight forward rule, obviously one the punter didn't understand. Kind of like Donovan McNabb not knowing the NFL has overtime.

sitzlejd

Dammit, this extra possession for ASU is going to bury my UCLA ML.

Monte
    Monte's Avatar Become A Pro!

Well they won

sitzlejd

tto827

Quote Originally Posted by swordsandtequila View Post
    No offense, but no you haven't. Winner of the toss (team A) gets to choose which half, period. By opting to kick or receive (instead of deferring), team A chooses the first half, by default second half choice is team B's. Team B could choose to kickoff (great defense, awful offense, it happens). If UCLA would have deferred, they would've had the choice in the second half.

It's a pretty simple, straight forward rule, obviously one the punter didn't understand. Kind of like Donovan McNabb not knowing the NFL has overtime.
    Thanks for taking it easy on me , good explanation. Seems like a very stupid rule, but it's a rule none-the-less I guess.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Mccracken View Post
    What a dumshit rule.
    No what a dumbshit player. The rule has been in place for the history of man. Winner of toss gets 3 choices: receive, kick-off or defer. Most choose defer to get choice (ergo, ball) in second half. Idiot chose kick-off.

Machine Choice
    Machine Choice's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2736

After reading this entire thread, it is still unclear WTF happened.

ttrace35
    ttrace35's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1782

Heads I win, tails you lose.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Moral of the story, even with extra offensive possessions ASU still couldn't beat UCLA. ASU blows.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Quote Originally Posted by Machine Choice View Post
    After reading this entire thread, it is still unclear WTF happened.
    UCLA chose to "kick-off" after winning toss, allowing other team to choose "receive" in second half, meaning UCLA kicked off first half. If UCLA would have chosen "defer" like he should have, then UCLA would have chosen receive in second half.