JayLA
    On to the next one...
    JayLA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1219

do gambling addicts win more money?

How are some ways degens and addicts benefit from their vice?

I knew aguy who hung around gulfstream poker tables. He caught a bad beat bonus one time, sent a large portion of the 15k check to his daughter in college but was at the tables the next week. I have to think if i flipped 15k that fast, id slow down...but then again im not addicted to this.

Detrimentals are obviously chasing, no discipline, and addiction.

Positives include knowledge, experience, and luck

Anyone other thoughts? THANKS for sharing.

MeatWad
    MeatWad's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 221

How are the games running at Gulfstream these days. Haven't been up there in a while, kind of miss the ragtag mix of Russians, Jews, and horse racing degens. Guess the games will be getting better in a couple of months when the ponies start running. Hard Rock just up the road runs a little bigger, prefer the comfort of Gulfstream though.

As far as your post, by design winning gamblers are programmed to calculate the risk of everything and reduce their risk in correspondence with the odds. Winning gambling resembles more tedious investing than pleasure.

The Degens seem to feed off the overextension of risk/rush, and also have a masochistic streak. Not sure their habit is beneficial to themselves. But then again it keeps their blood flowing and brain active. Better than alot of more mundane, less obvious addictions that many others have, such as food, TV, and codependent relationships.

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Of course, they also lose more too.

MeatWad
    MeatWad's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 221

Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDog View Post

Gambling addicts thrive on poor bankroll management and risky propostions to get the blood really pumping. Variance is their middle name and losing is their specialty. I envy them until I consider the fact they actually have to work a job to pay for their gambling.

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

i do not work guy

JayLA
    On to the next one...
    JayLA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1219

thanks for the replies, i wrote this quickly at work............still not sure where I was going LOL

Quote Originally Posted by MeatWad View Post
    How are the games running at Gulfstream these days. Haven't been up there in a while, kind of miss the ragtag mix of Russians, Jews, and horse racing degens. Guess the games will be getting better in a couple of months when the ponies start running. Hard Rock just up the road runs a little bigger, prefer the comfort of Gulfstream though.

As far as your post, by design winning gamblers are programmed to calculate the risk of everything and reduce their risk in correspondence with the odds. Winning gambling resembles more tedious investing than pleasure.

The Degens seem to feed off the overextension of risk/rush, and also have a masochistic streak. Not sure their habit is beneficial to themselves. But then again it keeps their blood flowing and brain active. Better than alot of more mundane, less obvious addictions that many others have, such as food, TV, and codependent relationships.
    Gulfstream's my favorite to play at. I've been around dog tracks all my life and never understood how you can wager on dogs but horses...That's classy...I'm interested in researching that racket soon.

Gulfstream's poker room is nice...recently cleaned it up with new chips, new tables after a big ass fish tank erupted inside the building. flooded the whole floor LOL cannot make this shit up!!

Hard rock is for weekend nights i need a little extra for drinks. lots of risky players there, dangerous.
    dania jai-alai is one of my faves, but i suspect some crooked stuff goes on there.

I'm person non grata at Mardi Gras, but that's for another thread!! LMAO

I'm glad i don't feel the NEEEEED to gamble. That's probably cause I've had my share of losses at poker, and small heartbreaks in sports betting. People close to me think that once I figure it all out, I'll be a very effective player cause they know my drive to gamble is more profit based, than just the need to "feel something"
    ...like right now for example, i haven't even looked at college or NFL odds. kinda gives me a headache thinking about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDog View Post
    true, like most things in life.

Quote Originally Posted by rm18 View Post
    i do not work guy
    I truly envy that sharp sports bettor, no need to work life. I know very few dudes who lived a portion of their lives like that, they say it all comes to an end eventually. But the stories they tell me are fascinating.
    Seeing currency as ammunition against bookies and crackin' a grin as some flashy colored jersey does EXACTLY what you expected...
    MMM that sounds better than tight one night stand pussy!

I think we all need to learn how to control our impulses. One can become addicted to anything in life, it's up to us to learn how to maintain stability.

Best of luck!

pongo7890
    pongo7890's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 170

Yeh sure they win more, but they are never satisfied and end up losing it all very quickly

Bostongambler
    Bostongambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14464

I would have to say no

konck
    Listen the toilet is flushing
    konck's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2323

They do but it doesnt matter .....they lose it right back

coop
    coop's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 127

The negative, impulsive aspects are what define a gambling addict to me, far more so than their volume of play.

They are usually synonymous with chasing, tilting, drinking, impulse bets, poor BR management, etc.

so no, they do not win more

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Quote Originally Posted by coop View Post
    The negative, impulsive aspects are what define a gambling addict to me, far more so than their volume of play.

They are usually synonymous with chasing, tilting, drinking, impulse bets, poor BR management, etc.

so no, they do not win more
    On a forum, I always have to watch myself getting stuck on semantics. However, here I feel the distinction is at least useful.

The quintessential "gambling addict" plays a lot more than the "non-addict", as a result, they win money more times than the average gambler - only because of sheer volume of bets. Be it sports, cards, slots - they simply just have more bets.

So, the question begs to define winning. In my opinion, in this context, the win/loss is gathered on each individual bet, deal, or slot pull. Not whether they are +/- for the session or lifetime (that is a whole different animal).

Either way you look at this question, I think it is impossible to believe that an average gambling addict wins more than he loses. Especially considering that a gambling addict is only deemed one by others, and nearly always they are labeled such on a losing streak. As the old adage goes "you only have a gambling problem if you're losing". If you are winning at such a nice rate that you are up lifetime, you are a "wise guy" or "sharp" - whatever the label may be, gambling addict is never associated with a winning.

Also, it is impossible to find that edge and keep it if you are simply betting to have action. Always a losing proposition these days.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

IDK,

When I used to live at the TAJ in AC and play poker daily and bet games and horses daily, I'd have like 10k one day and 100 the next week...

I didn't succeed because I lose my edge when I drink and all my big losses involved a lot of liquor...

It was a great time though, top notch food/girls/suites all comped daily...