JakeLc
    JakeLc's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 50

How Biased Is Your Announcer

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...Sports_threeup

If you're wondering what's going on in the American League Central pennant race over the next week, all you need to do is tune into a Chicago White Sox telecast and listen for the voice of the team's play-by-play man, Ken "Hawk" Harrelson.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

They have to be

Nobody would listen

PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

"I tell you what" - used at beginning or end of any statement for emphasis
    "I am telling you what" - see above
    "I am going to tell you what" - see above
    "I am fixin' to tell you what" - see above
    "Boy I tell you what"- see above
    "Hiney Bird" - a bird that flies in perfectly executed concentric circles until it flies up his own behind and disappears forever (a reference to Jay Mariotti.)
    "Sit Back, Relax, and Strap it Down!" - when the pre-game analysis of the two teams ends
    "That's a can o' corn" - when any batter hits a lazy fly ball
    ""That ball hit deep. Waaaaaaaaaay back. He looks up, you can put it on the booooooooooooooaaaaaaard...YEEEEEEEEEEEE EES!" (D.J. joins in) - when a Sox batter hits a home run
    "Mercy!" - usually after a great play, or when the White Sox are having a big inning
    "HE GONE!" - when a Sox pitcher strikes out an opposing batter
    "Right size, wrong shape." - when a ball with home run distance goes foul
    "Rack 'em up!" - when Sox defenders successfully execute a double play
    "Duck snort" - a short, hard fly ball that lands in the gap between an infielder and an outfielder
    "STRETCH!" - when a Sox batter hits a deep ball that has the potential to go over the wall for a home run
    "Souvenir right/left side" - when a player hits a ball foul into the stands on the left or right side
    "Hang whoop'um" - when a player hits a hard line drive right to an infielder
    "Zone 'em in, Reel 'em in, and light her up" - when a Sox player has a count with 3 balls, meaning to draw a walk
    "You can cancel the postgame show" - when a batter breaks up a pitcher's no-hit bid
    "Grab some bench!" - when a Sox pitcher strikes out an opposing batter
    "Gas" - when a Sox pitcher throws a fastball on which the batter whiffs
    "WAY BACK!" - when a Sox player hits a ball so far it is a no-doubt home run
    "Get foul!" - when an opposing player hits a ball that might go foul, and will be serious trouble for the Sox if it doesn't.
    "Stay fair..it will!" - when a Sox player hits a ball that might go foul, but doesn't
    "That ball was kilt" - when a Sox player hits a ball (usually a long homerun) with tremendous force
    "Sacks packed with Sox" - when the Sox are batting and have the bases loaded
    "That'll load 'em up" - a play (usually a base on balls) loading the bases while the Sox are batting
    "Time to cinch it up and hunker down" - when a batter has two strikes and is behind in the count
    "Chopper Two Hopper" - when a batter swings down on a pitch and hits a two hopper to an infielder
    "And here's (Player) He's Due" - When the player coming to the plate has no hits in the game
    "It's Sock it Thome time!" - whenever Sox slugger Jim Thome comes to bat in a crucial situation and Hawk has a strong feeling he will come through
    "Come on (Player's number, e.g. 24) One time" - when Hawk is hoping for clutch heroics from an unlikely source
    "That one had eyes on it" - referring to a sharp line drive hit by a player
    "Watch out" - when a player lines a foul ball into the stands
    "That'll get the job done" - when a Sox batter sacrifices a baserunner, often a fly ball, to bring him home
    "But the damage is done" - when the Sox end a productive inning
    "But a crooked number goes up on the board" - after a team scored two or more runs in an inning
    "Look at dis" - when the Sox get a timely hit or make a great defensive gem
    "Man, that is some B.S. right there" - when Hawk gets extremely angry at an umpire's call
    "He's got a chance to be something special" - when Hawk is optimistic about a young player's future (usually right after, "Boy I tell you what")
    "He just missed it" - when a Sox batter hits a deep fly ball, almost a home run
    "C'mon (Player), first and third him" - when there's a runner on first and Hawk wants a single to right field
    "Dreaded leadoff walk" - when a Sox player walks the first batter of an inning
    "Lance Johnson jump" - when a baserunner takes a nearly suicidal leadoff when attempting to steal a base (a reference to the great Sox base stealer Lance Johnson)
    "Get on back there, stretch, c'mon STRETCH!" - when a ball just barely makes it over the fence
    "Down to the last bullet" - when a team has two strikes and two outs in their final inning
    "Ball four base hit" - when a Sox hitter has a full count and Hawk wants either a walk or a hit on the next pitch
    "That's trouble" - when the opposing team gets a hit to score at least one run
    "Give 'em a thrill" - when a Sox player has a chance to make the crowd roar with excitement
    "Feisty" - Hawk's nickname for broadcast partner D.J.
    "Your what hurts?" - Hawk's response to any slightly homoerrotic comment by broadcast partner D.J.
    "Where was that pitch?" - when the umpire calls a ball that Hawk thinks was a strike
    "Before we show you our picks to click you at home select yours" - referring to the daily contest between anouncers which player will have the best game
    "I loooooove that duck." - when Hawk expresses his love for the duck that shows up on the graphic for the daily Aflac Trivia Question
    "Carmines" - the nickname Hawk has for the Red Sox (carmine is a shade of red)
    "Twinkies" - the nickname Hawk has for the Twins
    "And this ballgame...is OVA!!" - after the Sox earn a victory (especially emphatic if it is an exciting game)
    "That'll end the [inning number]. Good guys in trouble." - after the opposing team ends their half of the inning and the Sox are down a lot of runs
    "Did he? Yes he did!" - when an opposing batter strikes out on a close check-swing
    "There's a base hit up the middle right through the wickets." - after a base hit through the pitcher's legs
    "Pickett (Pick it) Wilson!" - after a Sox infielder makes a tough play on a ground ball
    "Carmine derriere" - Hawk's affectionate term for a fiercely competitive player
    "I love fireworks in the day time." - Hawk says when during a day game a Sox player hits a home run and the stadium shoots off fireworks.
    "Lookin' for it, got it, couldn't do nothing with it" - when a Sox player guesses correctly what/where the next pitch will be, and just misses hitting it well.
    "Suck'em up Joe" - when the opposing team hits a ball towards third baseman Joe Crede.