No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

What is more valuable to books: quantity from the public or quality from the sharps?

I was thinking about this reading the Orioles thread in the baseball forum. Is it a more profitable night for the books if they're getting a ton of "sharp"/big money action on a side that winds up losing? Or does public money cancel out and even override what books bring in from the sharps?

I know it technically depends and ideally they'd like to draw more even action and collect the juice on a play, but I was just wondering if books have a take on which side generally brings in more money: a play that's got like 80% of the public pounding it, or a side the sharps swing and miss on.

TheCentaur
    TheCentaur's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

Have no idea, ask 5Dimes Tony

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

We'd rather have the public lose. We limit sharps so their losses will be self-limiting and this happens more than you might think.

With the pubic we win because of the sheer volume of bets and we assume the event will be replicated more consistently than all the sharps getting on one side and losing.

Think about the retail saying, "It's better to have one customer 100 times than 100 customers one time"

GL nocoin

TheCentaur

Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
    We'd rather have the public lose. We limit sharps so their losses will be self-limiting and this happens more than you might think.

With the pubic we win because of the sheer volume of bets and we assume the event will be replicated more consistently than all the sharps getting on one side and losing.

Think about the retail saying, "It's better to have one customer 100 times than 100 customers one time"

GL nocoin
    Who's we? Are you booking Kraken? What kind of credit line can I get?

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post

GL nocoin
    That's kind of what I've always assumed -- especially the part about repeating past failures. Thanks Kraken.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

Quote Originally Posted by TheCentaur View Post
    Who's we? Are you booking Kraken? What kind of credit line can I get?
    that's what i was thinking, who the fukk is we?

mathdotcom
    mathdotcom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1943

Some books have 95% volume from sharps
    Some books have 0% volume from sharps

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by mathdotcom View Post
    Some books have 95% volume from sharps
    Some books have 0% volume from sharps
    Which is always interesting to me as well.

Take today's FF between Philly and Cincy for instance. The Phils opened at -113 and closed at +102 at Pinny. There was obviously sharp action backing the Reds. Whoops.

High3rEl3m3nt
    SBR's 7 figure Contractor
    High3rEl3m3nt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4146

Why is not money the most important thing? If the public is wagering 5 million on a side and sharps are wagering 2 million on the other side, wouldn't the books want to eliminate their risk? Seems like, in certain instances, that sharps could potentially bail out books from huge, one-sided public sides. What do I know I guess...

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Quantity from Public.

vyomguy
    vyomguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 234

The top books are afraid of sharp action...most top books try to limit you some way or the other. Many so called sbr A+ books have done lot of things to reduce my action.

1> Reduce the bet amounts on games
    2> Put a 30 second delay
    3> Change line while I am betting and offer bad line (this is after sumbit and before confirm).
    4> Put a window on when you have to make a bet

All these shitty things were done by A+ rated SBR books...FYI. SBR is not for players...they are always on the books side with these bullshit ratings.

If you are in US..all books are shitty and have unfair lines. All the good books are outside of US....like Pinny and betfair.

To answer your question no coin....books care more about public money...coz they will find devious ways to limit sharps.

t-wizzle
    t-wizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2191

Even money on both sides.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by vyomguy View Post
    The top books are afraid of sharp action...most top books try to limit you some way or the other. Many so called sbr A+ books have done lot of things to reduce my action.

2> Put a 30 second delay
    3> Change line while I am betting and offer bad line (this is after sumbit and before confirm).

All these shitty things were done by A+ rated SBR books...FYI. SBR is not for players...they are always on the books side with these bullshit ratings.

If you are in US..all books are shitty and have unfair lines. All the good books are outside of US....like Pinny and betfair.

To answer your question no coin....books care more about public money...coz they will find devious ways to limit sharps.
    Wow. Interesting.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by t-wizzle View Post
    Even money on both sides.
    That goes without saying -- I was just wondering which a book would prefer between a big public loss and a big sharp money loss.

High3rEl3m3nt
    SBR's 7 figure Contractor
    High3rEl3m3nt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4146

Obviously books would rather lose to the public big than sharps big. They're going to get their money back with a public win.

TheCentaur

I really don't get this whole question. A win for the books is a win, doesn't matter where it came from. Now who they would rather have the most action from is another issue.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

centaurs right, i also think this varies from game to game and sport to sport.

t-wizzle
    t-wizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2191

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    That goes without saying -- I was just wondering which a book would prefer between a big public loss and a big sharp money loss.
    Doesn't matter. Whichever pays them the most.

pokernut9999
    pokernut9999's Avatar Become A Pro!

Books always win , so what is the point of your question ?

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

coin dont u got some lines to monitor

MeatWad
    MeatWad's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 221

What kind of action are you looking for? Cantor takes high limit bets and won't ban you in Vegas. Sharps throw serious money down there every day of the week, and they will increase your limits if they don't respect your action, think Floyd Mayweather Jr. I have yet to find an on-line book that doesn't try shadey tactics to limit risk/exposure.

lunchbawks
    NB#
    lunchbawks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 173

its all profit for the books either way. parlays are the most profitable for books

Capnitrite
    Capnitrite's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 235

I don't think they give a crap where the money comes from as long as they get it

raydog
    raydog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 113

Quote Originally Posted by vyomguy View Post

2> Put a 30 second delay

haha...sounds good, but not really...what you got right was who books need to lose and thats a no brainer...and there are always books that dont like winners, but there are plenty of places that will take whatever you can handle

whens the last time you ever heard of someone getting limited betting nfl and other major markets at pinny or even bm? you havent...there are tons of books that wont limit guys betting the big market sports...
    Last edited by raydog; 09-12-12 at 05:54 AM.