High3rEl3m3nt
    SBR's 7 figure Contractor
    High3rEl3m3nt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4146

Research Study Shows that Sports Advisory Groups are Fail

PDF article attached. Most already know and yes, the study could be more expansive, but I thought I would share. Enjoy!

High3rEl3m3nt

What do you guys think? Post in here if you get a chance to read the whole article. Would be good to discuss strengths and weaknesses of the article's claims.

Spungalo
    Spungalo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2424

Fantastic! My area of concentration is in gambling studies and this article seems right on. While the data set is limited, I don't foresee any other weaknesses, except those outlined in the limitations section at the end. This also validates labby and "hot capper tracking" systems (like BiggDogg's) as profitable avenues of sports betting. Nice catch, HigherElement!

High3rEl3m3nt

I agree that it's limited too...wonder how many tout groups would be willing to go under the scalpel. I do believe that ATS betting is the most difficult, whereas hockey and baseball are easier to turn a profit. However, tout-groups rarely admit this. Thanks for you throughts. thoughts : )
    Last edited by High3rEl3m3nt; 04-25-12 at 01:24 PM.

infamousbacardi
    Alone In a Room
    infamousbacardi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 132

Immediately take note that paper only covers FOOTBALL (American) and not other major US leagues.....

TFC
    Update your status
    TFC's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 320

Thanks for posting. Very interesting. Do you have any more academic papers on gambling available?

infamousbacardi
    Alone In a Room
    infamousbacardi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 132

Also the age of the article is interesting....for example, the Golec and Tamarkin study cited at one point regarding the NFL market efficiency was from 1991...I mean, I'm not an expert, but the industry has wildly changed since then w/ more and more information being collaborated and being made available every year...I mean, page 20 even cites stuff from '78 and '84!

High3rEl3m3nt

Quote Originally Posted by infamousbacardi View Post
    Immediately take note that paper only covers FOOTBALL (American) and not other major US leagues.....
    Agree...that's one of my criticisms too. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

High3rEl3m3nt

Here's another article for you guys:

High3rEl3m3nt

Most of the articles that i have concern football, because it's the most popular American sport.

cutchemist42
    cutchemist42's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5801

Quote Originally Posted by High3rEl3m3nt View Post
    I agree that it's limited too...wonder how many tout groups would be willing to go under the scalpel. I do believe that ATS betting is the most difficult, whereas hockey and baseball are easier to turn a profit. However, tout-groups rarely admit this. Thanks for you throughts. thoughts : )
    tout-groups? Sorry, I've never heard this said before....

cutchemist42
    cutchemist42's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5801

Reading the PDF you posted. Not fully done but wished to comment on something I read while still on my brain.

It's interesting that they mention the NFL market is efficient and that college/arena markets might have some ineffiency. However, whether there's a difference because 70% of NFL bets are from uninformed bettors and 30% from informed in terms of effiency would be interesting.

That then makes me wonder about which markets are inefficient at the moment, if any?