JohnGalt2341
    46 and 2 are just ahead of me
    JohnGalt2341's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3703

The underhand free throw... could it improve some players free throw percentage?

I'm no genius nor do I know much about physics but I would think that once a person reaches a certain height he would mathematically make more free throws if he shot them underhand. I'm sure there have been coaches that have looked into this but I'm still not convinced that a guy over 7 feet that makes around half of his free throws wouldn't do better if he shot them underhand. If a guy like Shaq could have made 70% of his free throws in his prime he would have been unstoppable. Your thoughts....

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

I don't know it is harder to aim but you get more good bounces, for shaq probably it would of helped because his shot was flat.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 444

That's funny that you bring this up. When I played and practiced basketball, I would normally hit about 70% of my free throws. I started trying to granny shot them about six months ago, and my average is almost 90% now. You have less mechanics to focus on with your technique, and the ball has a softer touch on the rim.

JohnGalt2341
    46 and 2 are just ahead of me
    JohnGalt2341's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3703

Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
    That's funny that you bring this up. When I played and practiced basketball, I would normally hit about 70% of my free throws. I started trying to granny shot them about six months ago, and my average is almost 90% now. You have less mechanics to focus on with your technique, and the ball has a softer touch on the rim.
    That's awesome! Rick Barry shot 90% in his NBA career which I think is the 3rd highest percentage all time. You would think at least one of today's NBA coaches would encourage their worst free throw shooter to learn this technique.

unusialsusp5
    unusialsusp5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3601

wilt chamberlain did it and could even come close to 50% in most years. didn't actually check so don't call me on it. he did hit 28-32 in his 100 pt. game in hershey pa in 1962 however.