RITZ
    RITZ's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 12545

Kentucky killed the "so-called" self proclaimed sharps!

All that talk about sharps and Kansas dog play just goes to show again it's ok to go with the public IF it's the best team and the right play. Don't blindly follow the against the public crap. Kentucky was a public play/the right play. Sharps not so sharp now as public is counting their winnings!

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Sharp/Public shit is dead now with everyone having access to almost everything.....Vegas makes their money now on trap lines over time with info the public either overlooks or has no access to

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4675

I was sharp, because I didn't bet the game.

ZetaPsi808
    July 2011 Poster of the Month
    ZetaPsi808's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1982

1 game sample size pal.

Housemoney
    Housemoney's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5056

Lost $500 + points on Kansas and I am far from sharp.

zoo youk
    zoo youk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1197

kentucky was the "sharp play"

just cause someone picks an under dog doesnt always mean its "sharp"

Illusivecone
    Illusivecone's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 438

I'm sharp. I cashed on both KU and UK

Live betting FTW!

CrazyCarl
    CrazyCarl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2162

The public doesn't always lose, just usually. Case in point, NFL last year, vegas got beat for the year I believe and lost many weeks on the plays that the public hammered and the sharps bet along with vegas.

I was shocked the refs weren't for KU this game -- I actually think UK got 2-3 more calls compared to what it deserved (not blaming the loss on the refs -- UK deserved it). Very interesting, perhaps Vegas didn't have the fix on in this game.

If you feel really good about a game, and have solid reasons to back it up, bet it and don't worry about the public. But fading the public does well overtime, so it's something to keep in mind on games you're less sure about.

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Illusivecone View Post
    I'm sharp. I cashed on both KU and UK

Live betting FTW!
    Heard that! Didn't live bet, but cashed on both sides on 2 different halves.

The game was easy money... for anyone that followed cbb this year, or at the very least this tourney.

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15084

I'm a tailer (hit the under, thanks IC!!), but it always seems like the "sharp play" is automatically the dog on a neutral court. Any truth to that?

CrazyCarl

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphie Halves View Post
    I'm a tailer (hit the under, thanks IC!!), but it always seems like the "sharp play" is automatically the dog on a neutral court. Any truth to that?
    The sharp play is fading the public. -Especially- if the public bets heavy on one side and Vegas refuses to shift the lines.

The public gets more hyped up about good teams and also overreacts to bad weeks, so yes, underdogs and bad teams do turn out to be "sharp plays" more often than the favorites do.

peacebyinches
    pull the trigger
    peacebyinches's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7802

no. sharps is not a real thing, everyone; everywhere; who has done anything; ever; is not a sharp, we are all apart of the public.

the very degenerate, dumb, smelly, public

CrazyCarl

Quote Originally Posted by peacebyinches View Post
    no. sharps is not a real thing, everyone; everywhere; who has done anything; ever; is not a sharp, we are all apart of the public.

The public means the majority in this sense. But I guess it's cool to take it out of context.

Illusivecone
    Illusivecone's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 438

Quote Originally Posted by peacebyinches View Post

I don't think I can more vehemently disagree with a post

Speak to a random person in a sports bar

byronbb
    byronbb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2284

Were they on the over too???

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCarl View Post
    The public doesn't always lose, just usually. Case in point, NFL last year, vegas got beat for the year I believe and lost many weeks on the plays that the public hammered and the sharps bet along with vegas.

I was shocked the refs weren't for KU this game -- I actually think UK got 2-3 more calls compared to what it deserved (not blaming the loss on the refs -- UK deserved it). Very interesting, perhaps Vegas didn't have the fix on in this game.

If you feel really good about a game, and have solid reasons to back it up, bet it and don't worry about the public. But fading the public does well overtime, so it's something to keep in mind on games you're less sure about.
    You did so well in the other thread but this is a total fail

The public hits 50% over time. Tail them or fade them you're still gonna pay the juice. Add in shit money management that most have and there you have why books crush most bettors.

CrazyCarl

Quote Originally Posted by byronbb View Post
    Were they on the over too???
    I never saw the statistics but I'm pretty sure the public hammered the over.

convick
    convick's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3683

How do you know sharps werent on Kentucky?

CrazyCarl

Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post
    You did so well in the other thread but this is a total fail

The public hits 50% over time. Tail them or fade them you're still gonna pay the juice. Add in shit money management that most have and there you have why books crush most bettors.
    Not sure which thread you're talking about, but thanks.

Majority does not hit 50% of the time, that's just wrong (talking about games with the majority largely on one side). Just look it up. Most sharp plays do do well over time, and most sharps lost in the NFL last year while the public had an unusually good year. There are trap lines all the time and it's not wrong to say that vegas usually wins them. No, they don't always get, and don't always want 50% action on both sides. And when they don't, Vegas usually wins. Fact.

But what you were saying about ridiculous money management is absolutely right.

vaas187
    vaas187's Avatar Become A Pro!

i was sharp because i made 5 K today

but i've lost my fair share recent so this is a nice change

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

Not sure which thread you're talking about, but thanks.

Majority does not hit 50% of the time, that's just wrong. Just look it up. Most sharp plays do do well over time, and most sharps lost in the NFL last year while the public had an unusually good year. There are trap lines all the time and it's not wrong to say that vegas usually wins them. No, they don't always get, and don't always want 50% action on both sides. And when they don't, Vegas usually wins. Fact.

No offense guy but you have no idea what you're talking about.

Go ahead and watch any of these capping contests that they have on here on sbr and after thousands and thousands of plays every contest the total aggregate hits right around 50%.

And if you read these threads around here you know that most are not "sharps" on here.

CrazyCarl

No offense guy but you have no idea what you're talking about.

Go ahead and watch any of these capping contests that they have on here on sbr and after thousands and thousands of plays every contest the total aggregate hits right around 50%.

And if you read these threads around here you know that most are not "sharps" on here.
    I edited my post a bit to make it a bit more clear while you were replying. I'm not talking about ALL bets, I'm only talking about the ones where the public is largely on one side.

Sharp plays do do well generally and if you ignore that then you are ignoring many years that back it up.

BettingWizard
    BettingWizard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

temporary loan

brock is proof of this

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

I edited my post a bit to make it a bit more clear while you were replying. I'm not talking about ALL bets, I'm only talking about the ones where the public is largely on one side.

Sharp plays do do well generally and if you ignore that then you are ignoring many years that back it up.
    Well that makes more sense but as someone posted earlier that edge is gone. Watch any number of the reverse line movement threads on here and you'll see that they'll go on a run and then take a bath...but ultimately end up around 50% with a loss. The problem is that the "public" knows about some of these angles and jumps on so it's not an angle anymore.

convick
    convick's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3683

You talking 55-45 split? 60/40? 70/30? 80/20? What, by your definition, constitutes a "large" public play?

Duff85
    Getting ready for Japball
    Duff85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4007

Quote Originally Posted by RITZ View Post
    All that talk about sharps and Kansas dog play just goes to show again it's ok to go with the public IF it's the best team and the right play. Don't blindly follow the against the public crap. Kentucky was a public play/the right play. Sharps not so sharp now as public is counting their winnings!
    Yo Ritzy - enjoy the win today - its just a loan. Anyone who is sharp at sports betting knows that any game is just one tiny investment. They bet accordingly - donks like you crack some wood over "good teams" and bet regardless of value. So yep you won today, but the books will get their money back bro.

There is a reason Blowvada will let you bet any amount you want on any game, yet most of the "so-called sharps" can't get shit down. Think about it.

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10323

I never saw the statistics but I'm pretty sure the public hammered the over.
    65% Over
    35% Under
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    62% Ky
    38% Kan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MoneyLine
    Kan 27%
    Ky 73%
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Sharps" has become overused and meaningless by
    people throwing terms around randomly.

Today everyone has access to necessary information
    and there is no excuse for not making an informed, intelligent
    wager.
    Last edited by 19th Hole; 04-03-12 at 12:39 AM.

CrazyCarl

Well that makes more sense but as someone posted earlier that edge is gone. Watch any number of the reverse line movement threads on here and you'll see that they'll go on a run and then take a bath...but ultimately end up around 50% with a loss. The problem is that the "public" knows about some of these angles and jumps on so it's not an angle anymore.
    That's probably somewhat true, but I'd argue that an edge is still there. Most bettors will continue ignoring these things for eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by convick View Post

You talking 55-45 split? 60/40? 70/30? 80/20? What, by your definition, constitutes a "large" public play?
    I'd say 60/40 doesn't count as juice still just about makes up for that. Just depends on who you talk to. If you want to go looking into some statistics I'd like to be involved in it whether or not they back me up. My claims are based on various sharps who do well year after year using these ideas and did bad last year when these big public plays mostly won (in the NFL).

For my claims, I'd say 65%+ or so would probably lose more often than not.

CrazyCarl

Quote Originally Posted by 19th Hole View Post
    Today everyone has access to necessary information
    and there is no excuse for not making an informed, intelligent
    wager.
    Most people are irrational.

--

For the record, I don't consider most touts to be sharps.

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10323

Most people are irrational.

--

For the record, I don't consider most touts to be sharps.
    Goes w/o saying....

BernardMadoff
    Sam Hurd +3000
    BernardMadoff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 280

Funny people always have opinions about such AFTER the game, couple bounces here or there and there would have been threads about how KY was square, you guys are hilarious.

sweethook
    sweethook's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10500

why take ku , did they see them play againts ohio st.

CrazyCarl

Quote Originally Posted by BernardMadoff View Post
    Funny people always have opinions about such AFTER the game, couple bounces here or there and there would have been threads about how KY was square, you guys are hilarious.
    To be fair, most of the KY backers put their money where their mouth was.

BookiesBernanke
    BookiesBernanke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

The Line was 6 and it ended up 8... basically a coin flip, could have went either way

LVHerbie
    LVHerbie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1973

If the squares didn't win every now and then the industry couldn't sustain itself since all that would be left is sharps and Brock Landers...
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Duff85

12 Last