Business3587
    Business3587's Avatar Become A Pro!

Why Sportscenter pisses me off.

These people have no idea what they are talking about. The just read from a teleprompter.

I mean really, they stress the fact that the Patriots traded up to get Hernandez and Gronkowski, and that they have outscored the Ravens two TE's they selected in that draft (Pitta and Dickson). Well, honestly, I think Pitta and Dickson would be doing just as well if they were in the New England offense. I mean come on, it doesn't take a brainiac to figure the shit out.

coop
    coop's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 127

I've always wondered this. Does anyone know how much control the anchors have over what they actually say? do they do their own writing or do they have writers and are strictly just talking heads?

I would think they write what they say during the actual highlights since they always use the same lame catchphrases and slogans over and over

coop
    coop's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 127

And for shows like Around the Horn, are they reading off teleprompters with prewritten arguments or is that all off the cuff?

Business3587

Who knows? The only guy I like on ESPN is Jim Rome.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32341

ESPN talking heads are reading from teleprompters.
    Berman writes his own schtick, a few other veterans do, but the rookies get assistance from writers.

Who tells these talking heads to speak with their hands is my problem.
    I hate that, Reisha Candidate is guilty of talking with her hands, Rachel Nichols too, like an old school Italian housewife would do.
    Watch them next time, I hate that.

Stan Verette (sp?) uses the same old one liners too, I want to shoot him "she's a beauty that number nine" when he does the top ten plays of the day.
    Hey Stan, get new material. Not only that, Stan's speech pattern is all staccato like.

I'm all for sexy racks, but I can't listen to Erin Andrews, her voice is beyond nasal, uber annoying to the ears.
    I could go on and on and on

crzbrave
    crzbrave's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

No, do you guys remember the show to find the next sports center anchor. Was a big deal years back, I watched every episode. lol. Anyways, one of the competition things was they all wrote their own lines as they watched the clips before hitting the air.

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Business3587 View Post
    Who knows? The only guy I like on ESPN is Jim Rome.
    Rome the punk

muldoon
    muldoon's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by coop View Post
    And for shows like Around the Horn, are they reading off teleprompters with prewritten arguments or is that all off the cuff?
    They are given the topics long before the show, and each have their own set of notes and bullet points. I know this because I called out Woody Paige for being wrong about something on twitter and he messaged me the gist of how they do the show.

bswagos
    bswagos's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2547

What bugs me the most is too much talking not enough highlights. Especially during baseball season. They should go over every game from the previous day but some get no coverage at all.

Business3587

Quote Originally Posted by teaserpleaser View Post
    Rome the punk
    Sounds like Rome must have dug in that ass a time or two.

Muscles
    Muscles's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2096

Sportscenter can be pretty bad at times...especially sitting there and praising guys like Tebow, who's numbers aren't even half of Staffords and they barely talk about him getting snubbed on the pro bowl. meh.

Hotdiggity11
    Hotdiggity11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 135

For the regular show, ya, they read off teleprompters. Which is no big deal and makes sense since, otherwise, they would have to react to video clips as they happen and they would hurt the flow of the show.

On the other hand, shows like "Around the Horn" are definitely off-script but definitely pre-planned. Makes sense since most of them are veterans and have been doing sports for decades.

3PtShooter
    3PtShooter's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16245

talking heads for sure

Naz18
    Naz18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1940

Quote Originally Posted by bswagos View Post
    What bugs me the most is too much talking not enough highlights. Especially during baseball season. They should go over every game from the previous day but some get no coverage at all.
    This...even the so called highlight shows like baseball tonight and the numerous NFL shows fail to do this.

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Gronk is a beast that can't be compared to the two guys on the Ravens. Gronk would be a beast wherever he went. If you knew anything about him coming out of college, you knew he was the next great TE in the making. Belicheck and Brady and their system obviously make Gronk much much better than what he would have been in another system, using his talents the wrong way.

They couldn't cover Gronk in college, they can't cover him in the Pro's. It wasn't a matter of if, just a matter of when the team that drafted him realized it.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2392

its not just the system, those guys are elite.

the system helps though

hell Mike Vrabel was a TE force down on the goal line for the Pats

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Business3587 View Post
    Sounds like Rome must have dug in that ass a time or two.
    Yeah you got me rome ” dug in that ass” its hard to live with the shame or I watched jim bet you wont call me chris again everrett dig in romes punk ass. you like punks

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11971

Quote Originally Posted by bswagos View Post
    Me too.
    thats y I only watch channel 213 (MLB Network) on Direct tv during bb season.

dredmahawkus
    dredmahawkus's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

Pisses me off they spend a total of like 2 minutes on NHL because they dont have the contract to televise NHL games.....if they did sportscenter would be all hockey and no basketball.

Naz18
    Naz18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1940

Quote Originally Posted by dredmahawkus View Post
    Pisses me off they spend a total of like 2 minutes on NHL because they dont have the contract to televise NHL games.....if they did sportscenter would be all hockey and no basketball.
    Then they pick up NASCAR and start talking about that crap...