kramerthekid
    kramerthekid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 501

Hedgin Live Bets

Why not attempt to get both teams +ev?

kramerthekid
    kramerthekid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 501

For instance I bet the saints at +145 and then I just got the 9ers at +175. Guaranteed money

GamblerSpirit
    TheCentaur, Spankie gone fishing :(
    GamblerSpirit's Avatar Become A Pro!

that's hedgin alright.

jgray
    jgray's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 244

Quote Originally Posted by kramerthekid View Post
    For instance I bet the saints at +145 and then I just got the 9ers at +175. Guaranteed money
    Ha. I made almost the exact same two bets during the game too...

DrIn$entive
    DrIn$entive's Avatar Become A Pro!

2H Denver ML +265

Hoping NE gives their starters a rest in the 4th.

YouMama
    Losers Lose
    YouMama's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 191

You have to have more than a 100$ bankroll to hedge ....................................... im poor

subs
    subs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 969

congratz on ur plays.

sorry if i misunderstand, but that is not what +EV means... at the time of ur bet u may or may not have had an edge that is not the same as + odds. how do u know that u had an edge (+EV)?

NO started as favs but SF scored 2 times, i assume at this point u picked up +145 NO. the trouble is that unless u have an accurate situational way of capping the game (please throw us a bone if u do), or that the price u got was significantly better than the WA market price how do u know that bet was +EV?

trading is a legitimate way of making money, but it is not always as simple as playing the team that is losing. many times u r left holding ur large -EV original bet, taking a small loss or making peanuts for a lot of hard and (i find) tedious work.

not saying anything except, for me, it is more difficult and i am prone to more mistakes... i can't seem to get a better price than the market quickly enough and i'm not even going to try to use my instincts against a bunch of computer models and bots.

wish u continued success

Glitch
    Glitch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

this is a good method when you expect the game to go a certain way like thinking you know who should jump ahead in the beginning or take the underdog- thinking it will be a close game- then buy out on whatever number you want after the 'favorite' side gets lower juice.

if you take the underdog and they are getting blown out from the beginning, you may not have this sort of common investment opportunity.

yet another reason to always play dogs.

Glitch

if you played patriots last night or baltimore right now- you could get houston for a good enough price to offset your risk but you probably wouldnt want to because of the current flow of the game.

ramones951
    ramones951's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 891

Quote Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
    this is a good method when you expect the game to go a certain way like thinking you know who should jump ahead in the beginning or take the underdog- thinking it will be a close game- then buy out on whatever number you want after the 'favorite' side gets lower juice.

if you take the underdog and they are getting blown out from the beginning, you may not have this sort of common investment opportunity.

yet another reason to always play dogs.

This method is especially effective in the NBA where runs and huge point swings are common. I've noticed that sites "overreact" in a sense when one team goes on a run and you can get really good odds on the better team that might have just given up a few points.

Basically if you can master this method, you no longer have to pick winners. Just pick dogs who you think can compete, wait for them to go on a nice run, and then bet the other team at + money.

Glitch

tennis too- i like going in with the dog then just letting it "stay tied" (on serve in tennis terms), late in the first set or if the dog wins the first set or goes up "a break" in it- they will dramatically adjust the odds live.

if they win the first set, a lot of times a +220 will become a -125 to -300

- these overreactions happen often but not every time.

Bengals28
    Success is one thing, Impact is another
    Bengals28's Avatar Become A Pro!

Would books ban you after awhile if you did this and consistently won money?

GamblerSpirit
    TheCentaur, Spankie gone fishing :(
    GamblerSpirit's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals28 View Post
    Would books ban you after awhile if you did this and consistently won money?
    What? You're giving them free money. It goes both ways.

ramones951

Quote Originally Posted by GamblerSpirit View Post
    What? You're giving them free money. It goes both ways.
    Not if you hedge it so that you win regardless of the outcome... youre taking their money. its a legitimate question if someone gets really good at it

Gee
    Gee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2327

Shit.

This gambling caper sounds like free money.

Ruifgalmeida
    Ruifgalmeida's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5324

Quote Originally Posted by kramerthekid View Post
    Why not attempt to get both teams +ev?
    not that easy

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1848

Great for taking care of rollovers and bonuses.

jds07v
    jds07v's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 388

While you are guaranteeing profit by hedging via a live in game wager, you are potentially throwing away profit by hedging a play that will win. Purists will say that you are "giving back money".

I think that any profit is good, and guaranteeing profit seems like a good idea. I subscribe to the live bet theory. Yesterday for instance, I was able to live bet the Under 61 in the packers / giants while getting the Over 50.5 earlier in the game. There was potential for me to go 1-1 and give away the first wager's proceeds, but having a 8.5 point middle on a total was something that I could not let myself pass up.

Glitch

Quote Originally Posted by jds07v View Post
    While you are guaranteeing profit by hedging via a live in game wager, you are potentially throwing away profit by hedging a play that will win. Purists will say that you are "giving back money".

I think that any profit is good, and guaranteeing profit seems like a good idea. I subscribe to the live bet theory. Yesterday for instance, I was able to live bet the Under 61 in the packers / giants while getting the Over 50.5 earlier in the game. There was potential for me to go 1-1 and give away the first wager's proceeds, but having a 8.5 point middle on a total was something that I could not let myself pass up.
    youre not potentially throwing away profit youre throwing away potential profit.

but still- mostly good points especially with middling totals. someone could even devise a system for which side to get in around which numbers depending on which sorts of scoring-projections.

ramones951

I see what you're saying. But again, with the nature of the NBA and the huge runs you see in games, nothing is guaranteed. I would rather have the sure money.

Glitch

Quote Originally Posted by ramones951 View Post
    I see what you're saying. But again, with the nature of the NBA and the huge runs you see in games, nothing is guaranteed. I would rather have the sure money.
    but it appears you dont understand fully what we're saying. you are supporting the notion that this is a good method sayin these huge runs happen often.

lets say you take dallas mavericks +150 tonight before the game. they go on a nice run during the game and acquire a 11-point lead via one of these runs of which you speak. NOW- thanks to live betting platforms, you can take boston celtics at very nice odds betting against your initial bet. at this point it becomes guaranteed money.

the problem is that if the mavericks never go on a run and get a little lead, this opportunity may not exist.

FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots
    FourLengthsClear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 508

but it appears you dont understand fully what we're saying. you are supporting the notion that this is a good method sayin these huge runs happen often.

lets say you take dallas mavericks +150 tonight before the game. they go on a nice run during the game and acquire a 11-point lead via one of these runs of which you speak. NOW- thanks to live betting platforms, you can take boston celtics at very nice odds betting against your initial bet. at this point it becomes guaranteed money.

the problem is that if the mavericks never go on a run and get a little lead, this opportunity may not exist.
    Indeed but that does not make the bet on the Celtics a good bet.

That is only a good bet if it had value in it's own right i.e. was a bet that should be made regardless of the first bet on Dallas.

This type of hedging/trading is fine if you know how to identify value and are disciplined (sometimes it will make sense to hedge for a loss too). Just as in pre-game betting though most people will fall short in both of those criteria.

antifoil
    Update your status
    antifoil's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6611

the real problem with that is the mavs don't play boston tonight so you will be betting on two different games.

ramones951

Yes, I totally get it. The system is not flawless, just like any other system. Like Four lengths just said, its just all about identifying the value. I wouldn't just blindly bet all underdogs and then pray for them to go on a run. You have to pick your sports and be damn good at it.

If the opportunity never presents itself to hedge, so be it. You're gonna lose some.

Although maybe you'll get lucky by letting it ride and the dog makes a late push at the end of the game.

Glitch

uhh lakers not celtics. sorry i dont really bet nba anymore.

Glitch

Quote Originally Posted by FourLengthsClear View Post
    Indeed but that does not make the bet on the Celtics a good bet.

That is only a good bet if it had value in it's own right i.e. was a bet that should be made regardless of the first bet on Dallas.

This type of hedging/trading is fine if you know how to identify value and are disciplined (sometimes it will make sense to hedge for a loss too). Just as in pre-game betting though most people will fall short in both of those criteria.
    but further than predicting value is predicting the flow of the game or match. ie if a certain team scores a lot in the first half or starts slow or if a player goes to a lot of tiebreaks or whatever. (when you think these opportunities are likely to be created)

i agree with the general nature of what youre saying but guaranteed profit is guaranteed profit when you can lock it up. having money down one way is just a free shot to go the other way- and if you time it right- you can go the other way for free or very cheaply to ensure profit or minimize the loss.

in tennis- you bet a good underdog that wins a lot of first sets, let him win a set, buy out for a profitable return.