samdapatriotsfan
    samdapatriotsfan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1040

Got laid off yesterday...what do I do?

I am a technical support engineer with over 11 years of experience and, surprise, my director called me in yesterday to tell me that my position is being moved to India. This is not the first time this has happened to me but hopefully it will be the last. They offered me a small severance if I sign a disclosure saying that I will not sue them...for any reason.

This has piqued my interest. Why would I have to sign something saying I will not sue? What are they worried about? I have never been asked to sign anything like this before. I kind of think it may have something to do with the fact that I am the only black man in the company. But I hate playing the race card so I have to believe that is not it. However I am failing to see any other reasons for asking me to sign such a document.

I have until the beginning of February to sign or reject the offer.

Any ideas/advice on what they may be getting at or why they would ask me to sign this?

William Walters
    William Walters's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Great.........yet another toll free customer service number where I can't understand a motha-fukkin thing they are saying to me!

Tough break pal. Can't offer up any good advice..........never been down that road.

dom75
    dom75's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 511

I would reject the offer. I have been laidoff twice by the same company and will soon be laidoff again in a month or two. It is my understanding that if you take the severance pay then you can not get unemployment benefits. Look into it deeper as I am not completely sure.

EmpireMaker
    EmpireMaker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 669

consult a lawyer
    clearly they weren't thinking about you when they decided to move your job to India
    do what's best for you
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: excel

Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3519

Unemployment, sit back, relax. Find a gig paying under the table. If you can't beat em', join em'.

griz
    FEB 2012 POTM
    griz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 607

consult a labor professional on this.

Iced
    Iced's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

A lot of companies offer severances as long as you sign a disclosure not to sue, it's relatively standard.

Companies can get sued for firing someone because of age, gender, race, filing a claim for workers' comp benefits, taking a leave under the FMLA, etc.

Outsourcing, though, is a valid reason to let someone go, and you can't sue them for that.

You can probably find a lawyer who would represent you if you want to sue them for racial discrimination or some BS like that, but I'd recommend just taking the severance. Like I said before, the disclosure is standard protocol, it's not like the company is giving you a disclosure because you're a special snowflake.

Take the severance and start looking for another job, good luck.

darkhat
    darkhat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2882

It is very common for companies to have you do this. They just are covering their ass because people can obviously sue for a billion reasons at any given time. My company makes us sign things like this constantly. Oh you showed up with a new pair of shoes? Sign this saying you won't sue us if you trip on the way to your computer.

playersonly69
    playersonly69's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 142

You most DEFINITELY get unemployment even if you get severence pay.

samdapatriotsfan

Quote Originally Posted by Iced View Post
    A lot of companies offer severances as long as you sign a disclosure not to sue, it's relatively standard.

Companies can get sued for firing someone because of age, gender, race, filing a claim for workers' comp benefits, taking a leave under the FMLA, etc.

Outsourcing, though, is a valid reason to let someone go, and you can't sue them for that.

You can probably find a lawyer who would represent you if you want to sue them for racial discrimination or some BS like that, but I'd recommend just taking the severance. Like I said before, the disclosure is standard protocol, it's not like the company is giving you a disclosure because you're a special snowflake.

Take the severance and start looking for another job, good luck.

I don't think I want to deal with the hassle of suing them, especially if this is pretty standard. Thanks for the info.

samdapatriotsfan

Quote Originally Posted by William Walters View Post
    Great.........yet another toll free customer service number where I can't understand a motha-fukkin thing they are saying to me!

Tough break pal. Can't offer up any good advice..........never been down that road.

RubberKettle
    RubberKettle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 791

Go down to the local unemployment office and talk to someone about your options.

mathdotcom
    mathdotcom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1943

take advantage of book promo offers

they are best in late august though so next time try to get canned later in the year

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I would play the race card Son, fuk them

I bet your a hard worker too

Shake them down for more

senseionline
    senseionline's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1970

and government keep telling us job is booming wtf

samdapatriotsfan

Thanks for info on unemployment, it has been a long time since I have had to use it. I am already applying for jobs and I hope I won't even have to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by mathdotcom View Post
    take advantage of book promo offers

they are best in late august though so next time try to get canned later in the year
    Thanks Math, I will try to keep that in mind for next time.

BroDog73
    BroDog73's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Unemployment, sit back, relax. Find a gig paying under the table. If you can't beat em', join em'.
    This is exactly what is wrong with our country!

Sorry man, situation sucks! Good luck in finding a new job!

FuzzyDunlop
    Poster of the Month October 2015
    FuzzyDunlop's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

Fairly standard cover their ass policy, unfortunate (possibly illegal) that your severance is tied to it. Are you in New England? If so, PM me and I'll take your resume, my company is growing and I know of a few other people that hire quite regularly in MA & NH.

iFrat
    iFrat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 240

Take that race card straight to the bank. I wouldn't sue, but you could get them to bump that severance package up some. Also you cant get full unemployment if you take it, at least not in TN. Most of the time its a better deal than unemployment anyways. Think the max in TN is only 280 bucks wk before taxes.

samdapatriotsfan

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyDunlop View Post
    Fairly standard cover their ass policy, unfortunate (possibly illegal) that your severance is tied to it. Are you in New England? If so, PM me and I'll take your resume, my company is growing and I know of a few other people that hire quite regularly in MA & NH.

Thanks Fuzzy, I appreciate the offer but I am in California. Silicon Valley to be exact.

The Oddsbreaker
    The Oddsbreaker's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by dom75 View Post
    I would reject the offer. I have been laidoff twice by the same company and will soon be laidoff again in a month or two. It is my understanding that if you take the severance pay then you can not get unemployment benefits. Look into it deeper as I am not completely sure.

You can get both severance and unemployment in MA and NH, my neck of the woods. Not sure about Cali...

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyDunlop View Post
    Hey you mother fukker

How about me??

I have no fukkin job man and can do fukkin anything

Sammy DAPPER call me

RyanLeafOfBets
    Team Dexter
    RyanLeafOfBets's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 191

Sorry to hear about that... Unemployment pay sucks, but better than nothing. I didn't get a severance when I got laid off a couple years ago, but even if you can't get unemployment if you accept a severance pay, the severance pay is probably better off than unemployment (assuming you can get a job in 3-6 months)

Ninersnut
    Money talks and bullshit runs marathons
    Ninersnut's Avatar Become A Pro!

You should of said cool, I'll move to India. Is there relocating expenses?

dj_destroyer
    I'm +EV
    dj_destroyer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 383

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    This... it's the fukking dream and you don't feel like a total troll because you've paid into it all your life.

TR88
    TR88's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Hey you mother fukker

How about me??

I have no fukkin job man and can do fukkin anything

Sammy DAPPER call me

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith
    itchypickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5620

Maybe sit back and reflect on all of the other skills you could have learned with your off time during 11 years of chatting on the phone

Good luck on another job hunt though. Take this as a lesson ...never stop learning shitt....never know when you might need a fall back

samdapatriotsfan

Thanks itchy, I am looking into taking a couple of Unix courses to broaden my skill base.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21797

Consult a lawyer. Maybe have the lawyer send a letter demanding more severance/better terms. Also check and see if there is any non-compete clause in there.

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Tell'em

3x their offer then you'll sign - otherwise say "I will contact an attorney"

bachngocduong
    bachngocduong's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by dom75 View Post
    WRONG
    I take the severance pay and still get unemployment benefits

ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9884

file for unemployment and use that for awhile and then go online and put in applications to similar jobs

samdapatriotsfan

Thanks for the info boys. I think I am going to contact an attorney just to see what my options are.

MB
    MB's Avatar Become A Pro!

I got laid off too and thought about suing, but didn't want to go through the hassle. I had a friend who sued, and they had a PI and a spy infiltrate his situation so they can get dirt on him. They came out with all his info in court. He won after 2 years, but he said it wasn't worth it.

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Quote Originally Posted by samdapatriotsfan View Post

Thanks for the info boys. I think I am going to contact an attorney just to see what my options are.

Bluff them 1st...

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Odom View Post

Tell'em 3x their offer then you'll sign - otherwise say "I will contact an attorney"

Settle for 2x or 1.5x

12 Last