SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

OT: Republican Debate in New Hampshire feedback

Saw most of the Saturday GOP debate in New Hampshire.

My thoughts in no particular order:

1. Santorum seemed unsure of himself with his answers, and uncomfortable on the stage. I think he'll fizzle out.
    2. Perry was, in my estimation, a total phony.
    3. Huntsman made good, well-reasoned and intelligible points, and it's laughable he did so poorly in Iowa.
    4. Ron Paul was attacked even by the anchor, and it's unfortunate as I think he otherwise made good points.
    5. Romney was charismatic, made good points and seems every part the frontrunner.
    6. Gingrich was on the defensive a little too much for my liking, but did get the crowd behind him re: religion.

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star
    PhillyFlyers's Avatar Become A Pro!

Ron Paul won.

Look at all the post debate polls. Look at how he is rising and Romney is slipping in New Hampshire.

Look at how the other candidates can't argue with him on the issues and have to resort to smearing him like saying he's dangerous or out of touch.

Paul has got this.

Dutch
    Honky Lips
    Dutch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 736

Iowa only voted for Santorum because they're socially conservative. New Hampshire likes to go there own way. He'll come in fourth.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 432

Romney going to get the nomination. His campaign is too well structured, and he has a ton of money in the war chest. Republicans have a habit of having the person "next in line" get the nomination.

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyFlyers View Post
    Ron Paul won.

Look at all the post debate polls. Look at how he is rising and Romney is slipping in New Hampshire.

Look at how the other candidates can't argue with him on the issues and have to resort to smearing him like saying he's dangerous or out of touch.

Paul has got this.

SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

Anyone watch Sunday's debate? Romney was beat up a little by the other candidates.

Haven't seen the whole thing, but Huntsman coming off strong.

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith
    itchypickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5620

Lou I had them both on DVR...Huntsman did great in both I feel. Although he didn't have a huge amount of time since the moderators were constantly trying to keep a fight going between Romney and anyone who'd engage him.

I liked Huntsman's approach to foreign policy and Afghanistan as well as saying we need a total gutting of the tax policy but do it right and not just eliminate it all together.

At this point Romney is like the team with a 30 point lead and 4:00 left....just don't fumble and get to the end. A week or so ago they gave him no shot in S.C. but he's come on strong there now that people realize it's time to get behind him even though he's not perfect...but need to beat up on Obama and not other Reps.

Can't believe noone else on here caught Newt saying he wished he was at home last night "to watch the college basketball championship on tv" It was like the Kennedy moment saying Lambert Field in Green Bay.

Iced
    Iced's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Quote Originally Posted by SBR Lou View Post
    Anyone watch Sunday's debate? Romney was beat up a little by the other candidates. Haven't seen the whole thing, but Huntsman coming off strong.
    Yep. Saturday was a win for Romney and Paul. Huntsman did decent. Gingirch and Santorum didn't do as good as they usually do. Perry looked like a fool.

Sunday was a little less exciting. Huntsman looked better than usual and Romney did quite a bit worse than usual -- everyone else performed about average.

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Sanchez View Post

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Ron Paul cam off as the same Libertarian fool that he always comes off as. Anyone who thinks that he has any chance of winning the New Hampshire Primary should be banned from this forum, and from the human race in gereral.

Romney continues to do what he needs to do. He looks Presidential, not like some old wrinkled Prune (Ron Paul). Romney is well ahead in New hampshire and has a substantial lead in South Carolina. He has a 20% lead over Paul in New Hampshire, and a 10 point lead over Santorum in South Carolina. Gingrich is 11 points behind Romney. Paul is a dismal 4th, 20 points behind Romney.

Santorum must pull out all the stops because he is spliting votes with Gingrich. The two of them out poll Romney by 10% in South Carolina, but individually, both trail Romney by 10% or more. He seems unsure of how to handle his new found popularity.

Gingrich is still easily the best debator of the bunch, but has the worst campaign staff of the bunch. It will take a minor miracle for Gingrich to survive past Florida. A romney win there seals his nomination.

Rick Perry looks desperate. He is not campaigning in New hampshire, and is doing very poorly in South Carolina, polling at 5%. Look for Perry to withdraw from the race after South Carolina.

John Huntsman must love hearing himself talk, because no one else is listening. While polling at 9% in New Hampshire, he is only polling at 2% in South Carolina. Why he is still in the race is anyone's guess, but everyone minus Romney is glad that he still is. He takes voters from Romney.

In the next 10 days, look for Romney to win New Hampshire easily, and do very well, if not win in South Carolina. Both Santorum and Gingrich are splitting the Conservative vote, making life easier for Romney. Look for Perry to withdraw after a poor showing in South Carolina. Paul will continue to run, even though he has no chance of winning any primary. I do not expect him to withdraw from the race, because he is a very selfish person who would rather sacrifice the election to Obama than do the right thing and withdraw from the race once it becomes aparent that he cannot be the nominee. Paul is upset because th GOP ran him out of Congress by backing another candidate in his Congressional District that would have defeated him in a GOP primary. Huntsman is looking for some type of Cabinet Post if Romney wins. Maybe Secretary of State.

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25689

Quote Originally Posted by SBR Lou View Post
    Anyone watch Sunday's debate? Romney was beat up a little by the other candidates.

Haven't seen the whole thing, but Huntsman coming off strong.
    Huntsman really is their best candidate, it's a shame no one seems to notice him. Wonder if it's because he doesn't cater to Fox News, Hannity and Limbaugh?

Iced
    Iced's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

BigdaddyQH, you sound mentally retarded.

Your IQ O/U is set at 87.

ThingsFallApart
    ThingsFallApart's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy117 View Post
    Huntsman really is their best candidate, it's a shame no one seems to notice him. Wonder if it's because he doesn't cater to Fox News, Hannity and Limbaugh?
    Exactly, he doesnt use the coded language that those right wingnuts love. He understands that you have to get things done instead of getting some nontopic cue'd up for the next episode of the Bill Oreilly factor.

The right doesn't like Huntsman because he'd rather get things done than fight and get TV time. He would get the most Independent votes but not the 'Billy Bob' in southern Kentucky votes (if you get my drift) and you the right needs all of Appalachia and SEC country to show up to win this thing.

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

Quote Originally Posted by Andy117 View Post
    I'll vote for Huntsman over Obama.. No other republican will get my vote.

RonPaul2008
    Update your status
    RonPaul2008's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 243569

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyFlyers View Post
    Look at how he is rising and Romney is slipping in New Hampshire.
    I wish that were the case my friend, but...you are what sports bettors call a homer.
    Intrade has Romney as 97.2% chance to win New Hampshire.

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

I didn't have to watch it to know these things
    1- Ron Paul gave good answers, will finish strong in NH and will get 0 media play
    2- It's a dog/pony show
    3- Rick Perry loves the rooster
    4- Huntsman would win in the general election easily but Republicans like to play the 'entitled/next in line' card, even though his economics are far and away as abusive to the 'working class' as any other candidate in the race. Romney is the (R) nominee for all you dumbasses that vote for your slave masters, and it will get worse, whoever is elected.
    5- It's not a debate, it's a spin campaign at BEST (A real debate requires individuals to engage each other rather than have zingers and crap - you' have to go back to the 60s to find a proper major office debate).
    6- Santorum's blatant hate speech and jesus ******* make him as electable as David Duke. He may seem clever, but he's f'n delusional. Hating gays does not win you a huge office unless you're in the middle east (the only thing they all agree upon over there).

Meh, who cares. The media gives 0 play to Ron Paul. Romney is going to win on Super Tuesday and it will be done. That's how the (R) party works. Don't need to know much about politics so much as know how f'n dumb (R) voters are. They make (D) voters look like f'n geniouses, and they're dumber than dumb. Most (R) voters think they will be billionaires some day in Fukall, Alabama with their new idea '3 minute abs' or a shaving razor with 10 blades, or whatever the current standard is.
    Last edited by McBa1n; 01-09-12 at 12:27 AM.

Emily_Haines
    Emily_Haines's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15319

They are all paid liars except for Ron Paul

Lot's of dumbasses get suckered by who looks the best or talks the best.

These same people get distracted by some dude holding up and jingling his car keys.

andywend
    andywend's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 244

Voters vote republican NOT because they all think they will become billionaires. They vote republican because they are tired of working 40-60 hour weeks only to support the lazy, good for nothing liberal bum.

If the democrats stopped with the silly notions of strongly supporting giving people money for life for doing absolutely nothing, as well as giving preferential treatment for certain groups of people, then they would gain the support of the majority of the working middle class and the republicans would become extinct.

Obama knows full well that his 1st term performance does NOT warrant a 2nd term so he is telling his lazy, pathetic support base that the wealthy are to blame for all their problems. Its PURE CLASS WARFARE from a president who can't argue in defense of his performance.

ABEHONEST
    Say what? I'll bite your head plum off!
    ABEHONEST's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4175

I was not impressed with Romney. He's definitely NOT a smooth speaker under pressure. He stammers quite a bit, which I see as not too sure of what he talking about. Paul, again, stood out. But, are "we" taking him serious enough? Those scare tactics about drastic changes have done a solid job of frightening the many easily panicked-minded citizens. Dirty politics at it's best.

actiondan
    actiondan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16711

A vote for Romney is a vote for Bush and Obama. They are all New World Order puppets. Gingrich was owned by Ron Paul on the Vietnam deferments

Hurls
    Hurls's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 663

Quote Originally Posted by andywend View Post
    Voters vote republican NOT because they all think they will become billionaires. They vote republican because they are tired of working 40-60 hour weeks only to support the lazy, good for nothing liberal bum.

If the democrats stopped with the silly notions of strongly supporting giving people money for life for doing absolutely nothing, as well as giving preferential treatment for certain groups of people, then they would gain the support of the majority of the working middle class and the republicans would become extinct.

Obama knows full well that his 1st term performance does NOT warrant a 2nd term so he is telling his lazy, pathetic support base that the wealthy are to blame for all their problems. Its PURE CLASS WARFARE from a president who can't argue in defense of his performance.

Emily_Haines
    Emily_Haines's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15319

Same old tired argument from crying Andy. Maybe if the GOP wasn't so fixated on massive military spending and never ending wars, you could have a few more bucks in your pocket. Instead you choose to blame people who are down on their luck instead. PATHETIC!

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaul2008 View Post
    I wish that were the case my friend, but...you are what sports bettors call a homer.
    Intrade has Romney as 97.2% chance to win New Hampshire.
    Exactly. I would vote for Dr Paul in a heartbeat if he were the nominee against Obama but it just isn't going to happen. He has a dedicated small % that is loud and gets a buzz going but at the end of the day the lack of nationwide support, donations, and the campaign structure simply not built for this will end the run.

Philly I think is a well intentioned guy but his tunnel vision gets the best of him....he could be at a game cheering for North Texas vs Oregon and spend his whole time with his back turned to the field explaining to the crown how pretty of a place Denton, Tx is compared to Eugene and with 1:10 left on the clock...N Texas scores a FG to make it 63-3 Oregon and Philly would jump and cheer calling it a comeback

DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8492

Quote Originally Posted by Emily_Haines View Post
    Same old tired argument from crying Andy. Maybe if the GOP wasn't so fixated on massive military spending and never ending wars, you could have a few more bucks in your pocket. Instead you choose to blame people who are down on their luck instead. PATHETIC!
    Andywend is right as usual. What you guys don't seem to want to understand is too much government and over spending isn't good for anyone. Lower taxes, reduce the size of government drastically, create a surpluss and then you have money to help "people who are down on their luck". Borrowing from future generations to do this is criminal.

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith

Andy And Dwight are right on point here. The argument for more taxes, more programs 'to help the weak' are not what we need, it's what one side wants in order to grow govt and not individualism.

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

Stop with the same talking points..

Cut spending and raise taxes... If you think cutting welfare programs are going to erase the debt, then you should just toss limbaughs salad already..

RubberKettle
    RubberKettle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 791

Cut spending and raise taxes yes.

Entitlement programs are driving the debt wagon.

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith

Quote Originally Posted by King Mayan View Post
    Stop with the same talking points..

Cut spending and raise taxes... If you think cutting welfare programs are going to erase the debt, then you should just toss limbaughs salad already..
    Cutting welfare won't erase the debt....the ceasing to constantly take out more debt to fund pet projects in a down economy will erase the debt

I am a strong proponent for putting tighter restrictions or caps on entitlement checks though..excluding those with true disabilities of course i.e. I understand it's hard to find work if lose your left arm and your right leg in a snowmobile accident......but if you can't stand for long periods of time according to your Dr because you're 23 years old and are 270 pounds with an affinity for chocolate and Burger King.....you do not qualify.

If my Crimson Tide lose tonight I'm taking my drunk ass out in my Chevy pickup and go looking for those worthless little Chevy Volts we paid for thanks to Obama and ram the fukk out of them....get my pound of flesh exacted in my time of anger

Inkwell77
    Inkwell77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2413

If you cut military spending you will bring down the debt much faster than by cutting various welfare programs. Also, cutting welfare programs would do much greater harm to this country than cutting military spending. If you cut the welfare spending you would just have to increase the police budget and the prison/jail budget. Would not be a winning situation, break even ev at best. Now cutting military spending is +ev. This is something right wing morons fail to understand. There is this thing called prison that is a governmental expense that is very expensive. What is more likely, America is attacked by some terrorist/foreign army OR people with no money, no housing, and nothing to eat start breaking various laws and get sent to prison? Real tough question here

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

Quote Originally Posted by Iced View Post
    BigdaddyQH, you sound mentally retarded.

Your IQ O/U is set at 87.
    87 is about 40 points too high.

rkelly110
    rkelly110's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10576

What if they win, itchy? No running around the bar tonguing everything in sight.

You can bash all the Chevy's you want, they're junk anyway. Dodge, baby!

Corleone
    Corleone's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 81

Yea, its the poor, lazy people responsible for destroying the middle class!
    How dare they blame the wealthiest 2 percent in this country.

By the way, unions are responsible for the 40 hour work week, paid benefits,pensions and protecting workers rights by giving them a voice through contracts and labor negotiations. Check and see if your company CEO and vice president have contracts. Republicans are responsible for Anti-union campaigms, corporate greed, tax breaks for the wealthy, and trying to get rid of any workers rights. So for you to say people vote republican because they are tired of working 40-60 hours a week is extremely inaccurate.
    Get your facts straight, bro. Do some research and quit quoting sound bytes.
    Last edited by Corleone; 01-09-12 at 12:30 PM.
    Points Awarded:

golfrulz gave Corleone 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith

Quote Originally Posted by rkelly110 View Post
    What if they win, itchy? No running around the bar tonguing everything in sight.

You can bash all the Chevy's you want, they're junk anyway. Dodge, baby!
    WHEN we win, no promises...I'm not responsibel for who or what I kiss or try and rub on in my celebration

It's a bow tie on bow tie grudge match and physics dictates the Silverado wins this collision

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68569

Have you ever asked your kid a question and they go in to this long explanation that you know is a lie from the start but you don't let on so you can hear the whole thing?

The entire debate kind of felt like that to me.

DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8492

Quote Originally Posted by Corleone View Post
    Yea, its the poor, lazy people responsible for destroying the middle class!
    How dare they blame the wealthiest 2 percent in this country.

By the way, unions are responsible for the 40 hour work week, paid benefits,pensions and protecting workers rights by giving them a voice through contracts and labor negotiations. Check and see if your company CEO and vice president have contracts. Republicans are responsible for Anti-union campaigms, corporate greed, tax breaks for the wealthy, and trying to get rid of any workers rights. So for you to say people vote republican because they are tired of working 40-60 hours a week is extremely inaccurate.
    Get your facts straight, bro. Do some research and quit quoting sound bytes.
    Most don't have a problem with ALL private unions per say. There are some good ones like you described. I personally don't like unions. It's the government unions that most conservatives dislike. They are out of touch with reality and are bankrupting states. In California, you are a government unionized worker making 80K for example, and you can retire at 59 with 100% of your income for life plus full benefits. Insane. No wonder California is broke. Its examples like that which anger people.

So same can be said about government unions as can be said about greedy bankers etc.

12 Last