Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere
    Bcatswin's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5350

Give UC credit for forcing players to man up

It’s easy to manufacture words.

It’s not easy to manufacture emotions.

Which is why what Yancy Gates did on Monday is so much more meaningful than what he said. The Cincinnati senior wept openly, holding his head in his hands, as he tried to apologize for his actions during the Bearcats’ brawl against Xavier on Saturday.

It does not erase the other image, the searing image of Gates punching Kenny Frease and then desperately trying to find someone, anyone else, to unload on.

Cincinnati forward Yancy Gates wipes tears from his eyes during a news conference on Monday.
    That one will trail him for the rest of his career and rightly so. His actions, his penalty. But at least there was a sign of remorse on Monday -- tangible and visible remorse.

“People have been saying I’m a thug or a gangster,’’ Gates said before trailing off and wiping his eyes.

And in a 48-hour span when so few have done anything right, give credit to university officials for this: They did not allow their athletes to hide behind statements. They made them apologize on camera and then face the hard music, fielding questions from the assembled media.

We have been given enough paper apologies in the last few months to fell a forest. From Penn State to Syracuse, from politicians to university presidents, this has been a good season for statement writers.

They are easy to write and easier still to hide behind, paper apologies that are clearly contrived, rarely contrite and typically followed by the "We won’t talk about that," evasion when the culpable is again put in front of the media.

At least Mick Cronin, who insisted on Saturday that this was more than basketball and his job is about more than winning games, has something to back up his words. He reasserted that the final length of the suspensions will be up to him, saying, "In my locker room, nobody will take the floor again if they don’t understand it’s a privilege."

More, the man who said it was his job to turn his players into men actually made his players act like men.

Instead of offering his players an escape hatch, he forced them -- Gates, Octavius Ellis, Cheikh Mbodj and Ge’Lawn Guyn -- to sit down in front of the glare of the unwelcome spotlight without scripts and with only their own scruples as guidance.

“I don’t know about the environment [during the game],’’ Gates said. “I take responsibility for my actions, no matter what was going on. I’m an older guy on the team. I should have grabbed my teammates instead of going out there, throwing punches. … All I can say is it looked bad and it was bad.’’

The suspended Bearcats will undergo the requisite anger management counseling, but Cronin also wants them to do some sort of community service -- ideally they’d talk to kids, especially high school basketball players and apologize to them -- as well as apologize to their classmates through the student government.

It doesn’t excuse what happened. Nothing will.

Nor does it entirely make up for what still remains a tepid suspension for such brutality.

Six games -- and even lesser ones over at Xavier -- equates to a mere dent into the Big East season and seems woefully inadequate for something so horrific.

UC athletic director Whit Babcock attempted to explain the reasoning behind the six games, knowing full well that no explanation will sate the appetite of some. He said that he and university president Gregory Williams spoke with several people -- Big East officials, other athletic directors and coaches -- trying to come up with a comparable situation and punishment.

They found none. They considered, he said, the 10-game suspension of Oregon running back LeGarrette Blount but decided that because Blount’s punch of a Boise State player came seemingly unprovoked and after a game, it wasn’t similar enough.

They arrived at six -- more, Babcock said, than outsiders suggested -- and agreed that everyone who had thrown a punch, even if it didn’t land, would receive the same treatment.

“No amount of games,’’ Babcock said, “can take those punches back.’’

And that is the reality that sent Gates to tears.

There are people who had never heard of Yancy Gates until Saturday and now only know him from the fight video.

Even worse, there are people who did know of him and their opinions, too, will be forever colored by his actions.

It’s a tough lesson and an even harsher reality.

At least Cincinnati is making him face it without a piece of paper to hide behind.

Yancy

paco
    paco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7051

He's crying cuz he prolly realized he threw away millions of dollars and a chance to play in the nba .

griz
    FEB 2012 POTM
    griz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 607

hard to blame the kid

where hes from if someone sticks their hand in ur face u punch the fukk out of them

they are just kids, lets all remember that. 6 games sounds about right

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere

Wish X would do something like this as well, going to end up looking bad on this.

PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by paco View Post
    He's crying cuz he prolly realized he threw away millions of dollars and a chance to play in the nba .
    This!!!!

ProfaneReality
    ProfaneReality's Avatar Become A Pro!

yeah tears in front of the camera, and when they go away, getting props and saying u see me knock that white boy out ?

Sdotbold
    Update your status
    Sdotbold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 148

Yeah most of these kids are not students, never were. They are playing big east basketball. That's why they are there. Most don't come from some suburb. White suburban writers don't get it and never will. Where they grew up if someone has shit to say they had better be ready to throw down.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

NBA does not care about that

has no bearing on draft status

nba wants killers

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

should be allowed to fight like in hockey. big deal.

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

Six games is a huge joke.

ebbearsfb1
    ebbearsfb1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1694

Dude how many threads you gonna post about this? Every thread you praise how cin.is handling this and hate how xavier is or isn't handling it.. praising yancy when he is the one throwing down like its a cage match.. both sides look pathetic .. simple ass.. lousy attempt at trying to save face

HR Paperstacks
    HR Paperstacks's Avatar Become A Pro!

The worst thing about the punch is its not like Frease was squared up with him and he just cant fight very good, Yancy straight up sucker punched him like a fukin punk. He deserves what ever rep he gets, he looked like a convict the way he was out there trying to fight everyone.

Side note my buddy was at gameworks just across the river in Northern KY later on watching the UK/IU game and he saw Kenny Frease and his family down there. He said Frease's dad was hammered and when they showed the replay of the fight on tv he was yelling at the tv "**** you Gates you punk, I'll take your ass on." LOL god wish I was there to see it.

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere

ebbears anytime something new comes out ill post whatever i want you do not half to follow, in no way am i saying UC or X is right i dont condone it at all. I am both a UC and X fan just not when it comes to this game. I just think UC is doing a whole hell of a lot more to the subjects involved than X. Not to mention they are now saying Tu threw the 1st punch. I only made the thread cause i think its good they made them get in front of the media and take the heat.

Not sure why they call Gates, Yates most likely remembering Yates come back vs the Bengals

Darkside Magick
    Black Box Algorithm
    Darkside Magick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1258

just another day in the nasty nati.

clevelandpride
    clevelandpride's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Yancy Gates = animal. Fukk him...he deserves to be kicked off the team. That other idiot who tried to step on Freese when he was down should sit out the rest of the year too.

-"Cronin talked the talk. Then he and his bosses declined to walk the walk."

-Pat Forde, Yahoo Sports

ebbearsfb1
    ebbearsfb1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1694

you can fake emotion though thats the problem with society..

yancy is a punk ... 6 game suspension really? thats saving face, he is gonna miss what 2 big east games?

if that is saving face, then what is not saving face a one game suspension?

everyone is wrong, but putting him in front of a probably majority cinncinatti media doesnt

no matter what he says or does is gonna take time to change opinion...

im a big believer in 2nd chance through actions not words or phony emotion

BigDofBA
    BigDofBA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2011

How in the hell are you going to defend this thug? Also, I'm not sure how you are applauding Cincy for making their players apologize. THEY HAD TO DO THAT!

He sucker punched a guy that wasn't looking and wasn't even in the fight. Is that what manning up is??? No its not. It's a total bitch move.

I think it's funny that he is crying like a little bitch now. It pretty much verfies what we knew all along. Cincy talked shit leading up to this game and since they were getting their asses kicked on the court, they decided to act like a bunch of thugs.

Sucker punching a guy that isn't even looking or in the fight and then crying after you come to terms that you are an idiot = Being a Bitch.

I'm pretty sure the Big 12 will not ever take Cincy after this. If you think anyone's opinion of Gates is better now just because he is crying, you are wrong. I think he is more upset because he screwed up the only good thing he had going for him. I hope it was worth it.
    Points Awarded:

Night-Tripper gave BigDofBA 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere

Guys i did not applaud or defend anything i simply posted an article that Andy Katz and ESPN wrote. Everything including title of the thread was from ESPN not me. All except Yancy which was a damn joke. Still funny how all the blame is on UC.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Cronin talked all this accountability BS, but in the end - the suspensions were made specifically not to hurt the team in Big East play. Words don't mean shit. Xavier kids are idiots too for acting like it was some sort of street fight where they had to bow up and defend their turf. Stupid fukks. It's basketball and your ass gets to play for free. Should have been 10 games minimum for throwing a punch.

snoopaloop31
    snoopaloop31's Avatar Become A Pro!

The guy cried, he should be forgiven.

snoopaloop31
    snoopaloop31's Avatar Become A Pro!

Where the hell were the refs all game? Shouldve been technicals called as soon the shit talking started. The refs let this get out of control.

oiler
    oiler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2500

funny the other day ,they were saying they wouldnt back down to anyone,seems they found out the coach is the boss and put his foot day,too bad he couldnt stop it before it happened

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere

I totally agree with you EP, Cronin said the Big East only wanted to do 3 or 4 games and the school said 6, so thats what they went with. I think Gates and Cheikh should be done for year or at least have minimum of 10 game suspensions. I don't understand what the officials were doing througout the whole mess either. I think they could have stopped this in the 1st half and put a stop and warned both bench's way before this happened. You see Ref's get in between guys all the time and say enough is a enough. Never seen that this game.

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by snoopaloop31 View Post
    Where the hell were the refs all game? Shouldve been technicals called as soon the shit talking started. The refs let this get out of control.