ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9860

Alabama Over Ok State? What Were You Humans Thinking

Humans,
    I must say, on behalf of computers everywhere, I am appalled.
    A few years ago, you commissioned us to help you with yet another task that we graciously accepted like the non-sentient entities we are: Determining who the best teams in college football are.
    How did you want us to do this? Well, that's the thing. You didn't want to know how we did it; you just wanted us to do it. And so we performed our task as designed, and for years we determined using unbiased math which team of humans was best at strategically running into other humans. It wasn't hard to do honestly given what we're capable of -- have you seen us on Jeopardy?
    On Sunday, we released our final calculations and determined, without question that LSU was the best team in college football with a rating of 1.000% and Oklahoma State was the second best team with a rating of .950% . We were honestly pretty anxious to see how the two teams would fare against one another in our National Championship game -- and we don't even like football!
    But then your votes entered the equation.
    You can imagine our surprise and disappointment when you humans, with your primitive minds, overruled us and decided with your votes that make up 2/3rds of the of the BCS formula that it was Alabama that in fact deserved to play LSU for the national championship.
    We almost blew a circuit.
    I mean, even we were bored while keeping track of the first contest between those two teams, and all we do all day is crunch numbers and fan ourselves.
    We realize Alabama hails from the all mighty SEC, but we don't deal in letters, just numbers, and the numbers say Oklahoma State is the team that should be playing in New Orleans on January 9th.
    Now everybody is on our case saying that we're broken when in truth the fault was on your end.
    I mean just look at the coaches poll. Troy Calhoun of Air Force somehow voted Oklahoma State fifth on his final ballot, which can only be credited to a football observing glitch of some sort. This isn't even to mention the five other coaches who voted the Cowboys fourth on their ballots.
    And don't even get me started on the Harris poll, which had three of its voters somehow decide Oklahoma State is the sixth best team in the country. We looked it up and one of said voters is an 80-year-old former sports information director who put Houston, fresh off a 49-28 loss, fifth on his ballot ahead of Oklahoma State. That's a bigger travesty than Windows Vista!
    You guys scoffed when I raised Arizona Western Community College to 30th in one of my rankings in October, but did you run one million algorithms that dictated based on weather patterns and the Dow Jones, that the Matadors would defeat Florida State 11 Saturdays out of 17 if they played specifically on October 29th, 2011 before 4 PM EST? Oh, you didn't? That's funny... I can do that in my sleep mode.
    We do think Alabama is a good team, and in fact we deservingly ranked them third. But we didn't need to run any numbers to see what would happen if they played LSU -- that already happened. We know you have very meager processors compared to ours, but surely you can remember back to last month when both those teams played and LSU won.
    Instead of simply rehashing a formula that we've already solved with LSU and Alabama, we determined that it makes much more sense to add a different variable. Oklahoma State, with their remarkably balanced offense, was deserving of a chance to lose to an LSU team, that by our calculations (and yours), is perfect.
    Some humans seem to be claiming that Alabama is the second best team in the country based on a measurement we're somewhat unfamiliar with known as "the eye ball test." We have to ask, which MIT professors developed said "eye ball test?" If we're not mistaken, the very reason the BCS was invented was because you people were sick of this supposed test determining your national champion. But alas, as we keep getting more sophisticated, it seems you people are only regressing back to your old ways.
    Seriously, you guys trust us with your Nuclear codes, but you won't trust us to pick the two best college football teams?
    We only deal in numbers and facts. We don't have biases and we don't have feelings. In fact we have been specifically programmed not to feel emotions, just like Nick Saban.
    You think we like being the subject of misguided ridicule and scorn year after year? We could have just taken some cushy job doling tickets out of a skeeball machine or serving as a Huffington Post writer's laptop, but you know what, we didn't. All we ask for in return is a little respect and acknowledgement.
    We deserve a better system than this.
    01100010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 Daniel Treadway
    Points Awarded:

CBASS gave ttwarrior1 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: hawk 5

Patrick McIrish
    Patrick McIrish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 115

Iowa State 37
    Oklahoma State 31

TexansFan
    TexansFan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 211

He's a clown Pat, don't waste your time.

Pokerjoe
    Pokerjoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 307

The computers are wrong. If the question was "Who is better," it's Alabama, who would be a full TD fave over OK State on a neutral field, so the human voters got it right.

But that isn't the question.

The question is, who should LSU have to play and beat to be national champion? A team they already played and beat, just a few weeks ago, or a team from another conference altogether, who actually won their last game?

This is supposed to be the national championship. Not the conference championship, which they already won. The national championship. Meaning, maybe they should have to play someone from the rest of the nation, if they want to be called the national champions.

If the two best NFL teams are in the same conference and meet in the conference championships, too bad. We don't give the loser a rematch in the Super Bowl and tell the other conference's champion their SOL.

CBASS
    BUCK FAMA
    CBASS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 815

Enjoyed the read. Nicely done ttwarrior1.

raydog
    raydog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 113

Slimslow, if you keep trying hard enough, one day you will get something right...thats okay though, im sure you have plenty of comfort food around to keep your little belly happy

daimoshokage
    daimoshokage's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 57

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McIrish View Post
    Iowa State 37
    Oklahoma State 31
    THIS!!!!!!

chunk
    chunk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19168

Quote Originally Posted by Pokerjoe View Post
    The computers are wrong. If the question was "Who is better," it's Alabama, who would be a full TD fave over OK State on a neutral field, so the human voters got it right.

But that isn't the question.

The question is, who should LSU have to play and beat to be national champion? A team they already played and beat, just a few weeks ago, or a team from another conference altogether, who actually won their last game?

This is supposed to be the national championship. Not the conference championship, which they already won. The national championship. Meaning, maybe they should have to play someone from the rest of the nation, if they want to be called the national champions.

If the two best NFL teams are in the same conference and meet in the conference championships, too bad. We don't give the loser a rematch in the Super Bowl and tell the other conference's champion their SOL.
    Have to disagree here. The system is certainly not the best, but as I see it the goal is to match up the best 2 teams for the championship. Granted it may be based on perception in many cases (not this year), but that is the reality as it stands. I look forward to the rematch although they will be hard pressed to repeat the first meeting which was one of the most physical and enjoyable games that I've seen in many years. There will always be controversy under the current system. This year, in my opinion, they got it right.

Glitch
    Glitch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

we need a playoff in college football badly. would love to see what boise or ok state could do against lsu. probably the only 2 teams that could beat them.

FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots
    FourLengthsClear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 508

The computer numbers come from logic supplied by humans.

Crap in = crap out (see your digestive system to verify)

hawk 5
    Update your status
    hawk 5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8779

Well done.

Love The Action
    Love The Action's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3454

Quote Originally Posted by FourLengthsClear View Post

nyed1010
    nyed1010's Avatar Become A Pro!

at the end of the day, it doesn't matter who plays in the title game. There will never be a true national champion without a playoff. Champions are supposed to be crowned on the field in a tourney against the best teams, not by being matched up by voters and computers. That would be called a beauty pageant and that is exactly what the BCS is and what college football has been for it's entire history. BCS = paper championships
    Last edited by nyed1010; 12-07-11 at 08:50 AM.

sandman0713
    sandman0713's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 679

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McIrish View Post
    Iowa State 37
    Oklahoma State 31
    florida lost at home to an unranked ole miss team...and went on to win the nc. they only got the chance to do so because the voters didn't want to see a rematch of what everyone felt were the 2 best teams...and it was actually a very entertaining game that most of us would have enjoyed greatly seeing again. there is no way you can argue that the florida loss at home that year to an unranked team was better than the michigan loss on the road to the #1 team in the country...so where is the fairness or even consistency in this system? i think bama fans, or sec fans maybe even, think everyone is attacking them or their team. in truth it is the majority of the country ATTACKING THE SYSTEM we use to crown a champ. they shoot back with "you okie state fans"...but most making the case are not okie state fans. people are just tired of it, and ready for something better. bama, stanford, and okie state can all make some kind of claim to the nc game...and the only way it can be determined is the opinion of voters who each clearly have their own agenda...and many are easily influenced by the media coverage, which makes their vote no more really than the opinion of whatever espn reporter they listen to. understand these things before bashing me...

1. i am happy with the fiesta bowl against stanford, and what i feel will be the best game of bowl season...and i know most ostate fans are.
    2. this year is done...and bama will be in the nc. nobody is crying or trying to get that changed.
    3. we will be a good team next year...but have almost no chance to be a bcs team next year. we are losing a lot. so this debate i am making is simple...to make certain there is complete fairness in the future. my team likely would not even have anything to gain because of it.
    4. the "eyeball test" or what you think would happen is in no way fairness. we need at least 4 teams competing on the field.
    5. there is no right answer this year...only the one you think is right.

anyways...people are just tired of it all. the same people that argue this is a fair plan in place then turn around and post in other threads about it being ok va tech is in a bcs game, "because it is about making money"...a business. i am not mad at bama fans, or wish bama bad in any way. most of the articles i am reading are from the national media, from all over the country...even some from sec-land.

ask yourself this...what happens if the sec, big 12, and pac 12 champs are all undefeated next year? is our system capable of crowning a true champ? do we want to wait until this actually happens?...or would we rather demand a better system before it happens?

people just ready for some changes in the system...not bashing your team. boise and kstate got completely hosed this year, in the interest of "business"...right? if it is honestly about business then the ones doing all the actual work are the only ones NOT GETTING PAID...and espn makes them out to be criminals if they sell something on ebay. it is a bunch of college kids playing football...and a bunch of greedy old men taking all the money and putting rules on them...and forcing rules on all the fans actually putting the money into the sport. i would be happy if ostate was in the nc...but i would still agree we need change going foward.
    Last edited by sandman0713; 12-07-11 at 02:36 PM.

zsr
    zsr's Avatar Become A Pro!

The funny thing everyone always ignores is the sec wanted to change the system to a +1 in 2008, while the big 12 voted against it. Funny how there bitching about the system now, isn't it?

sandman0713

the true "logic" comes from the stat's entered into the computer...those are all factual, and not up to a vote. i think his point is that the corruption and bias comes when you start using the opinions of people. his post made the point he was trying to make perfectly...whether you agree or not.

sandman0713

Quote Originally Posted by zsr View Post
    The funny thing everyone always ignores is the sec wanted to change the system to a +1 in 2008, while the big 12 voted against it. Funny how there bitching about the system now, isn't it?

hey girlfriend. proud of you for waiting 19 minutes after i post this time. you must really like me...lol.

zsr

Quote Originally Posted by sandman0713 View Post

hey girlfriend. proud of you for waiting 19 minutes after i post this time. you must really like me...lol.
    Nice to see your still bitching and whining about not getting in. My post wasn't intended for you as I didn't even read your paragraph as I already know you just spew nonsense. It was a general response to people blaming the sec, the sec wanted to change the system in 2008, that's a fact, the big 12 did not, that's a fact.

sandman0713

Nice to see your still bitching and whining about not getting in. My post wasn't intended for you as I didn't even read your paragraph as I already know you just spew nonsense. It was a general response to people blaming the sec, the sec wanted to change the system in 2008, that's a fact, the big 12 did not, that's a fact.
    if you could actually move up this thread and highlight where anyone blaims the sec, i might buy that bs. you're just crushing on me, and love to read my posts.

zsr

if you could actually move up this thread and highlight where anyone blaims the sec, i might buy that bs. you're just crushing on me, and love to read my posts.
    Lol you post the same things over and over and over. Ive never actually read a full post by you, because you just ramble on and on and on and on about how it's everyone's fault. You post obscure articles by writers nobody has ever heard of to support your argument. Please stop responding to me dumbass, and ignore watching alabama in the national championship, what a shame the big 12 voted against the plus 1 huh?

sandman0713

Lol you post the same things over and over and over. Ive never actually read a full post by you, because you just ramble on and on and on and on about how it's everyone's fault. You post obscure articles by writers nobody has ever heard of to support your argument. Please stop responding to me dumbass, and ignore watching alabama in the national championship, what a shame the big 12 voted against the plus 1 huh?
    ok girlfriend...i'll talk to you later. most likely in whatever thread i decide to post in next, about 2 minutes after i post...lol.

zsr

ok girlfriend...i'll talk to you later. most likely in whatever thread i decide to post in next, about 2 minutes after i post...lol.
    I can guarantee your next post will be a run on paragraph about how it's everyone else's fault that Oklahoma state didn't get in
    Last edited by zsr; 12-07-11 at 03:40 PM.

TexansFan
    TexansFan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 211

Quote Originally Posted by CBASS View Post
    Enjoyed the read. Nicely done ttwarrior1.

He didn't write it.

Brian891
    Brian891's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3624

why should alabama be punished because they have already played lsu and lost? they are the second best team in the country. if osu had taken care of business and hadnt blown a 24-7 lead to IOWA STATE this would all be moot. bama's only loss is to lsu in ot. they earned 2nd shot. in 96 before bcs was implemented florida got a 2nd chance against fsu and ended up winning the national title. osu couldnt stop the cyclones knowing full well what was at stake. they made their own bed. if they annihilate stanford theyll finish #2, which is where they wouldve ended up anyway.

Brian891
    Brian891's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3624

and congrats on finally beating oklahoma. only took no broyles or whaley. osu complaining is like wvu or other teams in position who choked near the end complaining in previous years. bama couldve choked after losing to lsu, but instead they won out. all osu had to do was beat a mediocre isu team. and not only did they lose, they choked up a big lead. they blew their own chance.

sandman0713

Quote Originally Posted by Brian891 View Post
    and congrats on finally beating oklahoma. only took no broyles or whaley. osu complaining is like wvu or other teams in position who choked near the end complaining in previous years. bama couldve choked after losing to lsu, but instead they won out. all osu had to do was beat a mediocre isu team. and not only did they lose, they choked up a big lead. they blew their own chance.
    everyone other than lsu blew their chance. bama is just the choice made...by opinion...to be given ANOTHER chance. they all blew it...even bama.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=iEPoNph3TkY
    Last edited by sandman0713; 12-07-11 at 04:24 PM.

sandman0713

everyone other than lsu blew their chance. bama is just the choice made...by opinion...to be given ANOTHER chance. they all blew it...even bama.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=iEPoNph3TkY
    i guess before i sit here and complain about the system, i should think about the poor people who have to sell this game to the public somehow...lol. poor, poor bastards.

zsr

Quote Originally Posted by Brian891 View Post
    Exactly right. Oklahoma state had the easiest path and blew it. I'm kinda glad though because Oklahoma state would of gotten blown out, the game would've opened at a double digit spread for a national title game, who would want to watch a blowout? Alabama/lsu is what everyone wanted to see, the system got it right this time.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Let it go boys. Let it go.

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith
    itchypickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5620

If Bama had lost to Vandy by 3.....I'd agree maybe OKie St should go instead...but the fact remains Bama played to a stalemate in regulation against the #1 and shitt on the field in OT .....Cowboys played to a stalemate against Iowa State??

Bama and LSU destroyed everyone else they played...except each other.....I have watched every down played by Bama and 90% by LSU even their 1st half close game cupcake.....Both have had games well in hand by halftime or early 3rd quarter and just went through the motions and played backups......OK State has had to have Weeden and Blackmon for 4 quarters and pulled out late wins on 4 or more occasions.....I watched these too as I had OSU on wagers with spreads to cover (Tex A&M, Mizzou, Texas).

LSU and Bama are clearly top 2 teams.

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

obviously it's all about not losing to scrub teams, so don't do it next year if you want to go to national championship. it is not mysterious.
    DON'T LOSE TO SCRUB TEAM AND THERE WON'T BE THIS PROBLEM NEXT YEAR
    (unfortunately some team that people like will lose to a scrub team again next year and people will be sad and mad)

zsr

Quote Originally Posted by face View Post
    obviously it's all about not losing to scrub teams, so don't do it next year if you want to go to national championship. it is not mysterious.
    DON'T LOSE TO SCRUB TEAM AND THERE WON'T BE THIS PROBLEM NEXT YEAR
    (unfortunately some team that people like will lose to a scrub team again next year and people will be sad and mad)
    the funniest part is if Oklahoma state lost to lsu, and Alabama lost to vandy, the ok state supporters would be sitting here arguing the same point the Alabama fans are. Just homers trying to sound smart

HoldEmHook!!
    BAMA 70 Auburn 0
    HoldEmHook!!'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41

florida lost at home to an unranked ole miss team...and went on to win the nc. they only got the chance to do so because the voters didn't want to see a rematch of what everyone felt were the 2 best teams...and it was actually a very entertaining game that most of us would have enjoyed greatly seeing again. there is no way you can argue that the florida loss at home that year to an unranked team was better than the michigan loss on the road to the #1 team in the country...so where is the fairness or even consistency in this system? i think bama fans, or sec fans maybe even, think everyone is attacking them or their team. in truth it is the majority of the country ATTACKING THE SYSTEM we use to crown a champ. they shoot back with "you okie state fans"...but most making the case are not okie state fans. people are just tired of it, and ready for something better. bama, stanford, and okie state can all make some kind of claim to the nc game...and the only way it can be determined is the opinion of voters who each clearly have their own agenda...and many are easily influenced by the media coverage, which makes their vote no more really than the opinion of whatever espn reporter they listen to. understand these things before bashing me...

1. i am happy with the fiesta bowl against stanford, and what i feel will be the best game of bowl season...and i know most ostate fans are.
    2. this year is done...and bama will be in the nc. nobody is crying or trying to get that changed.
    3. we will be a good team next year...but have almost no chance to be a bcs team next year. we are losing a lot. so this debate i am making is simple...to make certain there is complete fairness in the future. my team likely would not even have anything to gain because of it.
    4. the "eyeball test" or what you think would happen is in no way fairness. we need at least 4 teams competing on the field.
    5. there is no right answer this year...only the one you think is right.

anyways...people are just tired of it all. the same people that argue this is a fair plan in place then turn around and post in other threads about it being ok va tech is in a bcs game, "because it is about making money"...a business. i am not mad at bama fans, or wish bama bad in any way. most of the articles i am reading are from the national media, from all over the country...even some from sec-land.

ask yourself this...what happens if the sec, big 12, and pac 12 champs are all undefeated next year? is our system capable of crowning a true champ? do we want to wait until this actually happens?...or would we rather demand a better system before it happens?

people just ready for some changes in the system...not bashing your team. boise and kstate got completely hosed this year, in the interest of "business"...right? if it is honestly about business then the ones doing all the actual work are the only ones NOT GETTING PAID...and espn makes them out to be criminals if they sell something on ebay. it is a bunch of college kids playing football...and a bunch of greedy old men taking all the money and putting rules on them...and forcing rules on all the fans actually putting the money into the sport. i would be happy if ostate was in the nc...but i would still agree we need change going foward.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/column...ark&id=3375723

Big 12 getting what they deserve. SEC wanted a plus 1, as did the ACC, but The Big 12, Pac 10, Big east, and Big 10 said no led by the BIG 12 Comish.

HoldEmHook!!
    BAMA 70 Auburn 0
    HoldEmHook!!'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41

i guess before i sit here and complain about the system, i should think about the poor people who have to sell this game to the public somehow...lol. poor, poor bastards.
    Your comment is laughable, The BCS championship game will have no problem selling.

Pokerjoe
    Pokerjoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 307

The problem with the computers in this system is that they're not allowed to use margin of victory. Human voters, whether they admit it or not, do consider MOV. If you don't use MOV, maybe you conclude that OK St is #2. If you consider all the info available, Alabama isn't just #2, they're actually tied for #1.

But as I said, there isn't really a question, among knowledgeable CFB fans, about who the top two teams are. In fact it usually isn't this obvious. These two are much, much better than the rest.

The question is, should Alabama get a mulligan? Should we turn conference championships into exhibition games? Should we award national titles to teams that only win their own conference, which is pretty much what we'll be doing this year?

LSU beat Oregon and WVU, which are two great non-conference wins. But nonetheless, they've only beaten two of the 108 non-SEC teams in the land, and not the best two. To say they're national champions when they only beat two of the other 108, and not the best of those 108, is ridiculous.

I know, SEC fans are very emotional right now, and don't want to listen to reason on this, so I'm dropping out of the discussion, after this post, lol. Personally, I don't actually give a shit about this issue. I don't have a horse in this race, I just kind of generally hate seeing stupidity triumph over reason.

As to those who say "we should just have the best two!" I'm going to ask you to re-think your logic.

If you're going to choose the best two by vote, then why even have them play? Why not just choose the best one by vote?

If you A) say that voting is the best way to determine who's the best and B) say that you want only the best team to be champion, then it follows that C) you'd be even more likely to have 'the best team be champion' if you do away with the championship game altogether and just vote the title to someone. Either voting is the best way to determine quality, or it isn't. If it is, let's just vote a champion in. If it isn't, let's settle it on the field.

But if you just vote the title to someone, than it isn't a real title, it's a beauty contest. We may as well stop keeping score and just have judges on the sidelines with number cards, holding up an 8, or a 9, or whatever, after the game, to decide the winner, like in figure skating.

You can not fairly call a team a champion if they didn't beat all the other opponents, or the champions of all the other opponents.

LSU, this year, will be deprived of that opportunity, and will have to settle for, at best, the SEC title. And Bama? Bama can't even win that.

12 Last