McCarthyFam
    McCarthyFam's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 331

anyone know anything about how car insurance works?

alright, this probably isnt the place to ask this, but i know there are some intelligent people here that may be able to help me out. we got hit with some snow this past saturday. i was driving to work, and hydroplaned in the snow, lost control, spun out and hit the wall on the underpass of a bridge. my tire blew out as had about 3grand in damage to my front passanger side im guessing. i had to get towed, and filed it to my insurance company.

The problem lies with, i'm from PA and my jeep didnt pass inspection, it only passed the emmisions inspection. i needed 2 tires, and a new tie rod. i got the new tie rod, but havent gotten the tires yet. do you my insurance company will hold me responsible for this since its not inspected. or will they cover it? my deductable is 500

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011
    doublej95's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

The only one with the correct answer and the answer that matters is your insurance company. They might not cover it due to not passing inspection.

MartinBlank
    Going to be a good weekend
    MartinBlank's Avatar Become A Pro!

The insurance adjustor will notice it immediately. They will send someone out to examine your vehicle----there are few things they will look for immediately----

1. Valid inspection sticker.

2. Current Pennsylvania tags (that little sticker on your license plate).

In the fine print of your policy----it is very likely they will be able to deny your claim. When was your vehicle up for inspection? How far out of inspection are you?

Are you current tags expired as well?

This one is going to be tough for you my friend. I suppose you can plead "I didn't realize my inspection sticker was out of date"----

Boxer300
    Boxer300's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 221

Quote Originally Posted by MartinBlank View Post
    The insurance adjustor will notice it immediately. They will send someone out to examine your vehicle----there are few things they will look for immediately----

1. Valid inspection sticker.

2. Current Pennsylvania tags (that little sticker on your license plate).

In the fine print of your policy----it is very likely they will be able to deny your claim. When was your vehicle up for inspection? How far out of inspection are you?

Are you current tags expired as well?

This one is going to be tough for you my friend. I suppose you can plead "I didn't realize my inspection sticker was out of date"----
    What he said... they will be looking for any reason to not pay. Good luck, but you should have had the car up to date.

McCarthyFam

my pennsylvania tags are current, and passed emmisions inspection, just didnt pass vehicle. it was to get inspected in september. so almost 2 months past due.

downsouth
    Bobbywaves is a stiff
    downsouth's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25129

Just treat it like you do the people here. Stiff/scam them. Seems logical to me.

MartinBlank
    Going to be a good weekend
    MartinBlank's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by McCarthyFam View Post
    my pennsylvania tags are current, and passed emmisions inspection, just didnt pass vehicle. it was to get inspected in september. so almost 2 months past due.
    That isn't terrible, but it is going to be very difficult.

Insurance adjusters simply follow a checklist---there is very little room for intrepretation or third party assessment. At the very top of their assessment will be "Valid Inspection".

You paid the insurance, file the claim--the worst thing they will do is deny the claim.

Dumb question on my part, but what was the reason you vehicle failed inspection?

VegasInsider
    Update your status
    VegasInsider's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

I've worked in the insurance industry for about 4 years, although not auto, and I think you might be fighting hard to get this one covered. You do have SOME leverage, since you did, in fact, TRY to get the vehicle inspected and got the tie rod fixed. I would make sure the insurance company knows that you were made a valid effort to get the vehicle fixed/inspected and you weren't just ignoring that the sticker had expired. Given your driving record with the insurer, they might cut you a break here.

Like I said, I never dealt with auto insurance so I'm not exactly sure of all the intricacies in the auto policy.

VegasInsider
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by MartinBlank View Post
    That isn't terrible, but it is going to be very difficult.

Insurance adjusters simply follow a checklist---there is very little room for intrepretation or third party assessment. At the very top of their assessment will be "Valid Inspection".

You paid the insurance, file the claim--the worst thing they will do is deny the claim.

Dumb question on my part, but what was the reason you vehicle failed inspection?
    Two tires and a tie rod (which he had the tie rod already replaced prior to the accident)

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Were you supposed to fight someone again and crashed on purpose?

File the claim. They will take care of it, minus your deductible.

McCarthyFam

still waiting for them to call back. will post once i find out what will happen.

McCarthyFam

the collision place thats fixing the car called back today, never mentioned a word about it to me. said the adjustor came out and estimated the damage at 5,900 and asked me for the okay to get started on it.

bb_skoots
    bb_skoots's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 389

grits looks pretty sharp right about now.

VegasInsider
    Update your status

the collision place thats fixing the car called back today, never mentioned a word about it to me. said the adjustor came out and estimated the damage at 5,900 and asked me for the okay to get started on it.
    Sweet!!!

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Cool. Got a couple of friends in Philly right now. They said they want to smack your leprechaun looking face a bit. Get in your car and go meet them somewhere. I'm sure you'll total your car this time.

McCarthyFam

Grits is a character lol

cant call it
    BAMA UP!!!
    cant call it's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 455

Is the tow yard also a repair yard?

Go pay the tow yard to put two new tires on it before they come look at it.