bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Al Sharpton blasts Senate as thousands rally in D.C. for jobs

I'm glad to see Mr.Sharpton is at least doing his part in regards to fighting the government to create more jobs for everyone. Now this man is a true saint.

Al Sharpton blasts Senate as thousands rally in D.C. for jobs

WASHINGTON (AP) — Thousands of people led by the Rev. Al Sharpton rallied Saturday near the Washington Monument, where speakers called for easier job access and decried the gulf between rich and poor before the crowd marched to the new Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial.

The rally was intended to drum up support for President Barack Obama's jobs plan, which died Tuesday in the U.S. Senate. But speakers used the platform for varied causes, including condemning state laws requiring voter identification at the polls and protesting the recent execution of Troy Davis, a Georgia man convicted of killing an off-duty police officer. Davis maintained his innocence until his death and attracted thousands of supporters worldwide even though courts repeatedly ruled there wasn't enough evidence to exonerate him.

Chanting for jobs and justice, many demonstrators carried banners for their labor unions and wore pins or T-shirts bearing King's likeness. Obama is scheduled to speak Sunday at the dedication ceremony for the memorial, the first monument dedicated to a black leader on the National Mall.

Sharpton, the featured speaker at the March on Washington for Jobs and Justice, blasted the Senate for its failure to pass Obama's $450 billion jobs bill. The measure includes an extension of a payroll tax cut and unemployment benefits, as well as money to help local governments keep teachers and other workers on the job.

Obama and Senate Democratic leaders plan to try to pass elements of the measure, and the president used his weekly Internet and radio address Saturday to urge Republicans to support his economic proposals — or else explain to their constituents why they didn't.

"If you can't get the jobs bill done in the suites, then we will get the jobs bill done in the streets," Sharpton said to cheers and applause.

He told the crowd that King would have supported their cause "because he stood for those who were cast down and cast back." King's eldest son, Martin Luther King III, was also among the speakers.

"Over 45 years ago, my father talked about a redistribution of wealth. In fact, that is probably why he was killed," King said. "Because he said if America is going to survive responsibly, then it must have a redistribution of wealth."

Among those who attended Saturday's rally was Kathie Williams, a part-time administrator for the Howard County, Md., parks and recreation department. She'd like to find full-time work but has struggled to do so despite an active search.

"No one has responded to me," Williams said.

Belinda Shade, 56, of Waldorf, Md., works as a special education school administrator but said the economy still makes her insecure.

"Right now I have a job, but I don't know what might happen tomorrow," Shade said, later adding, "There are no jobs. People are really hurting. Everything is coming apart as a result."

District of Columbia Mayor Vincent Gray held a separate protest demanding greater autonomy for the district government before joining in the larger gathering. Congress must approve the local government's budget, and the mayor was arrested earlier this year as he protested a congressional budget deal that included restrictions on how the city could spend funds.

Labor Secretary Hilda Solis and Randi Weingarten of the American Federation of Teachers were among the other speakers.

Nonetheless, Sharpton said the rally was not intended as an overtly political statement or as part of the president's re-election bid.

"This is not about Obama," he said. "This is about my mama."

jarvol
    jarvol's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3670

Government doesn't create jobs. It is just more nonsense thrown out to the growing ignorant population in America.

The idiots in this country should be marching for the abolishment of the IRS and a flat or fair tax, the abolishment of the Energy, Commerce, and Education Departments, the travesty that a balanced buget ammendment hasn't been voted on let alone been passed, wtf the plan is for the $107 trillion underfunded Medicare and Social Security, the wars of aggression that never end, etc. But no, sadly the morons in America want to camp out in a private park near Wall Street and march on the Capitol demanding a job even though they have no useful job skills. What a clusterfukk this country has turned into.

Vegas_bond
    Vegas_bond's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10099

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan View Post
    I'm glad to see Mr.Sharpton is at least doing his part in regards to fighting the government to create more jobs for everyone. Now this man is a true saint.
    I like his name, first of all.

MUHerd37
    Status Your Update.
    MUHerd37's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10678

Al Sharpton is a horrible person. He's a race baiter. He's always looking to get himself on tv more. Guy is a total jackass.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 5 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: VegasRandy, EmpireMaker, eidolon, koz-man, and DwightShrute

wtf
    wtf's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

they interviewed that fat ass racist on tv the other day and asked him if he felt things were better now for minorities, he REFUSED to say yes

his whole pitiful existence resides on playing the race card

he would LOVE for the government to dole out jobs then he can easily force them to go along racial lines, and not quality of staff-which is what happens in the real world

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

BookiesBernanke
    BookiesBernanke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

Quote Originally Posted by crustyme View Post
    wow, look at all the purrrty colors -- must be true

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

Quote Originally Posted by jarvol View Post
    Government doesn't create jobs. It is just more nonsense thrown out to the growing ignorant population in America.

The idiots in this country should be marching for the abolishment of the IRS and a flat or fair tax, the abolishment of the Energy, Commerce, and Education Departments, the travesty that a balanced buget ammendment hasn't been voted on let alone been passed, wtf the plan is for the $107 trillion underfunded Medicare and Social Security, the wars of aggression that never end, etc. But no, sadly the morons in America want to camp out in a private park near Wall Street and march on the Capitol demanding a job even though they have no useful job skills. What a clusterfukk this country has turned into.
    Sir, you're ill informed.

Police? Government jobs. Fire Dept? Government jobs. Road construction? Government jobs. Our evolving prison system? GOVERMENT FUNDED 'private sector' jobs. KBR/Haliburton jobs? GOVERMENT FUNDED 'private sector' jobs. Military? Goverment jobs. Man, when can I stop? The goverment, under REPUBLICANS moved a TON of 'government' jobs into the private sector - but yet, they are still government funded... And this is different how? Our Goverment creates DICKLOADS of jobs and always has and always will, no matter what crazy talking point you heard - because this is not an original cliche talking point of the right. It's one of their stupidest and of course, since no one is smart enough to think on their own and question that - I hear it all the time. It's pissing me off. Our economy sucks and you're blaming poor people? Are you that daft?

Sorry, this talking point is HUGE among Michele Bachman supporters and other "crazy" Republicans and teabaggers, who are nothing more than total ignorant pawns being exploited. The goverment creates jobs all the time, especially under the current crazy neocon. In fact, there are now MORE goverment created jobs DUE to the current neocon than in history per capita. They aren't exactly part of the direct governmental bureacracy - but who pays for it? THE F'N GOVERMENT, KNUCKLEHEADS. DAMN. You think the majority of the people we are paying overseas are goverment employees directly? No. The ones that cost a DICKLOAD more are the private sector ones that make more than our soldiers... Are those not goverment jobs even though the government pays for them? It's just - (in my best Doug Stanhope mocking/sarcasm voice) "oh, well we should privatize it because then people won't think the goverment isn't paying for it" - which they f'n have been, for a LOT cheaper, until the neocon took over and they privitized a LOT of it and wealth went straight up, not down.

You realize the blowjob to the banks (via AIG, you know, the insurance co that all the banks hedged out on the investments that killed most of our 401ks - that they SOLD to us???) and health insurance companies (neodem/neocon, actually) and the pharma cos under ******* stupid neocons?
    That's OVER 3 trillion right NOW given away to the top 1%. People cry because people can't support a family with a job at Starbucks and that they should 'get a job!!!'. Well, they have a f'n job. And their job pays about enough to cover rent and utilities, if they live an hour away from work, probably (and spend the difference on mass transit or gas). What about the other stuff? Just because YOU may not be suffering under these brutal times doesn't mean there aren't oh I don't know OVER 50 million in this country who ARE. Sheesh. I figure the poverty level is exploding because people are lazy. Yep. They just want their 600 bux/month in their home of 20 people living the GOOD life on welfare. Are you that out of touch with a MASSIVE part of our population? OR do you get your news from Fox? I would love to know. People that talk shit about the poor seem to have 0 idea of what it's like to hustle your way gaming the system just to survive, just praying you might get a Sunday shift that pays just a touch over 10 bux/hour.

But back on the O P. F Sharpton. The only jobs he makes are to get him paid. He's no more a representative of his race than John Boehner is of the "Fake Orange Tan Jersey Shore" race.
    People with money should f off on the 'occupy Wall Street' protests (Especially guys like Mike Moore). Unlike the teabaggers, they are not funded by BIG oil and traditional Republican money. They're funded by donors, like me, who pay for a local pizza shop to send them a pizza, not massive slick PR/Marketing banners and such. No one makes a phone call to a media outlet and gets day long coverage like the teabaggers had access on Fox at their bullshit rallies led by millionaires. This is by Americans FOR Americans - even all our non millionaire dumbass American asses. Also, good to see others in other nations out in HUGE force across the globe protesting. Did teabaggers get that? Of course not, the rest of the world recognizes when big business is f'n you for your vote, you go elsewhere. It's just, we have no 'elsewhere'. Dems are paid off in huge numbers just as much as the current neocon (sorry, the (R) party, my old party, is the 'crazy' party, now).

Just sayin. For a forum of smart punters with numbers, this forum is mostly falling on it's face in terms of economic philosophy and also recognition of what's really going on. I was wrong saying this country was turning into an aristocracy in 2001, oligarchy is what it's become (i didn't think Americans would let it get that far, but I also didn't know how dangerous Fox would become to political discourse). The plutocratic class is killing us all. If you don't know what an oligarch is, go read up on google.

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10323

J-o-b-s

Flashmo
    Flashmo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24333

Al Sharpton is a self serving, racist piece of excrement

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

God bless Rev AL Sharpton a true saint indeed!

rkelly110
    rkelly110's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10576

Keep it going fellas, don't stop. If you agree with the protesters and want a jobs bill,
    write your congress person. If you don't know who they are, Google your state congress.
    It takes 5 mins.

ABEHONEST
    Say what? I'll bite your head plum off!
    ABEHONEST's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4175

Al is the one politician that cannot make legit fun of Donald Trump's hair!

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith
    itchypickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5620

Rev Al wants poor black kids from the south to be able to go to school, get a good job and rise through the ranks of corporate America like the white man...and then one day run for President and not be ridiculed based on race..........

We now have Herman cain who grew up in Atlanta to poor parents, went to school and made the grades, excelled in corporate America and made millions without any need for 'social justice handouts'......and who is the first one to call him out as a race traitor......REV AL