vyomguy
    vyomguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 234

Giants designate Miguel Tejada and Aaron Rowand for assignment

They cant come back to Giants lineup again. This is the end of an era.....FINALLY...dead weight gone

Tejada, Rowand: Dead Weight Gone

That was a strong move by Brian Sabean today, essentially clearing Aaron Rowand and Miguel Tejada out of the Giants' clubhouse. Both were "designated for assignment," which effectively means the end of their Giants' tenure.
    As the rules state, such "designated" players can be placed on waivers, traded, assigned to the minors (not a factor now, with the minor-league seasons ending) or given their outright release. I'm not sure how it will shake down for Rowand and Tejada, but one thing is for sure: They can't come back under any circumstances.
    It's really a shame what happened to those two guys. Rowand is revered in Chicago and Philadelphia for his hard-nosed contributions to winning teams. He's had his moments in San Francisco, but the years have taken their toll, and we find him now as a player who can only contribute defensively.
    I like the guy. I like how he kept his chin up last year, when his playing time diminished, and how he hasn't lodged any public complaints this year. The Giants would love to have the Rowand of 2005, when he played for the world champion White Sox, or the guy who became a leader -- on and off the field -- for the Phillies. Right now? I swear, he's the worst two-strike hitter I've ever seen. I mentioned that in the press box last night, and when Andy Baggarly looked it up, he found that Rowand is hitting .152 with two strikes (I find that shockingly high) and .077 with an 0-and-2 count.
    Maybe Rowand can hook up with another team for the stretch drive, or try to resurrect his career in a new setting next spring. He has become a tired look here (especially that batting stance), and I can't imagine that he'll be missed.
    As for Tejada, he hung himself the other day when he said, glumly, "I just work here." He was trying to explain why he didn't run hard to first base when asked to bunt, an order he found insulting, but that's the attitude of a quitter.
    Listen, this guy was a great, great player in his day, an MVP in the American League and a shortstop who could do it all. He's simply done right now. He's the last to realize it, but the evidence is on the field. A lot of scouts felt Sabean erred badly in taking a gamble on Tejada. I was behind the move until I caught Brandon Crawford's act at shortstop -- gifted hands, makes the tough and easy plays, the whole package. Now we've got Orlando Cabrera and Mike Fontenot at that position, and they're not exactly tearing it up, either. But at least the Giants have separated themselves from Tejada and his sour attitude. Let's hope he carries pleasant memories of better days.

Nookx
    Nookx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

Thank god, we need to get rid of like five more guys though. I cant wait for Gary Brown. Torres blows nutsack... I hope there planning on bringing him up tommorow.

stevek173
    stevek173's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5964

Tejada is one of the all time great examples of "can't do it without the rroids"

blackbox
    Update your status
    blackbox's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3229

Wow- live nearby and never heard a word about this-the hatchet is falling.

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere
    Bcatswin's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5350

Bums

grekos
    grekos's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13316

Do they get pay checks for the rest of the year?

JR007
    JR007's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by stevek173 View Post
    Tejada is one of the all time great examples of "can't do it without the rroids"
    i was at Fenway Park many years ago and saw Tejada when he was with balt first stint, before the roids scandel, never anyone "buffed" like him for his size, I knew then, he was on something, free weights, could never do that to a man

Killer_Demo
    209 Street-Tough
    Killer_Demo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4201

take out zito for good