opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

Attn: All Canadian Football fans.....

We rarely get to watch the CFL here in the States, but last nights Montreal vs. Toronto game was on the NFL Network. It was pretty good. Quality of play was fairly high, offenses were fast paced, and looked like a decent crowd. I have to admit I also was watching "Win a Date with Tad Hamilton" on another tv (which for those who haven't seen it is a fantastic movie. Topher Grace is very funny, and that Josh Duhamel is pretty damn easy to look at!), so I probably missed a few plays here and there, but nevertheless....an enjoyable sports viewing experience.

My question is this.....where do the majority of the players come from? I recognized very few names that I remembered from watching college ball, and none that I remembered having played in the NFL. Where do they go to school to play ball? And how much does a top player make in the CFL?

Thanks in advance, boys. God Bless ALL of North America.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

Well that looks like all of you

spankie
    Long Live Rodney!
    spankie's Avatar Become A Pro!

I dunno about CFL being pretty good!

I think top ncaafb teams could compete with some of those canadian teams, they are not great.

a lot of US players who dont make the nfl play in canadian fballl
    Last edited by spankie; 08-05-11 at 06:59 AM.

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25044

Opie:

1) Vast majority are in fact Canadian. CFL has an "import" limit, such that the CFL does not become a minor league for the NFL. I believe the cap may be seven Imports per team. I'd have to look it up.

2) Salaries are in fact not massive. Sure, the top QBs probably do pretty well (and many of them are American). Avg salary is somewhere around $100k, so they're not really raking it in.

I will say the CFL players give a great effort. I think it's a good league for viewing.

Ra77er
    Ra77er's Avatar Become A Pro!

4.25 million team salary cap
    40k or so league minimum
    They recruit different style of players than the NFL,think undersized/skill players (Doug Flutie, Boston College).

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25044

I was very close on Avg salary, but Import rule is closer to 50/50. The Non-Imports are Canadian-born or Canadian-trained:

"Players and compensation
    The CFL began enforcing a salary cap for the 2007 season of $4.05 million per team. The cap was raised to $4.2 million in the 2008 season and remained at that level for 2009.[40] On June 29, 2010, a new collective bargaining agreement was ratified that raised the salary cap to $4.25 million for the 2010 CFL season and would continue to increase by $50,000 each season until 2013.[41] Financial penalties for teams that breach the cap are set at $1 to $1 for the first $100,000 over, $2 to $1 for $100,000 to $300,000 over, and $3 to $1 for $300,000 and above. Penalties could also include forfeited draft picks.[42] For 2010, the minimum team salary was set at $3.9 million while the minimum player salary was set at $42,000.[41] In 2006, the active roster limit was increased from 40 to 42. The import/non-import ratio, which required teams to keep at least 20 non-import (Canadian-born or Canadian-trained) players on their active roster, was retained at 50%, and thus 21 non-import players are required on the active roster. Teams may have up to 4 players on their reserve roster, and up to 7 on their practice roster.[42"

Ra77er

Oh and in the 90's we had some American teams in the CFL........epic failsausage

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Quote Originally Posted by opie1988 View Post
    We rarely get to watch the CFL here in the States, but last nights Montreal vs. Toronto game was on the NFL Network. It was pretty good. Quality of play was fairly high, offenses were fast paced, and looked like a decent crowd. I have to admit I also was watching "Win a Date with Tad Hamilton" on another tv (which for those who haven't seen it is a fantastic movie. Topher Grace is very funny, and that Josh Duhamel is pretty damn easy to look at!), so I probably missed a few plays here and there, but nevertheless....an enjoyable sports viewing experience.

My question is this.....where do the majority of the players come from? I recognized very few names that I remembered from watching college ball, and none that I remembered having played in the NFL. Where do they go to school to play ball? And how much does a top player make in the CFL?

Thanks in advance, boys. God Bless ALL of North America.

Heck Opie you saw the CFL all-time leading QB taking snaps for the Als...AC Anthony Calvillo tear the Argo's up. I think the rosters had a 50/50 split of Canadian born/trained and US players on their rosters. They only have a 42 man roster...hence the kicker is also the punter. The Salary cap is around 4.2 million and a guy like AC makes around $300k

Davydave
    Davydave's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2008

If you like offense, you would like the CFL, most totals are in the 50's.

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8798

CFL is decent to watch...when there is no NFL or college ball on

Ra77er

Quote Originally Posted by Davydave View Post
    If you like offense, you would like the CFL, most totals are in the 50's.
    Yup QB dream, bigger field, 3 downs, and unlimited motion.

azimm11
    azimm11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1757

CFL is a great game. A lot of players come up through the CIS (Canadian Interuniversity Sport)..or come up when they don't make a NFL team and want to keep playing ball

AribaAriba
    AribaAriba's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 97

check out the toronto argo's field, they advertise Bet365.net o ya they can play at pinny too

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/schultz/

dj_destroyer
    I'm +EV
    dj_destroyer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 383

At Commonwealth Stadium (Edmonton), they also advertise for Bet365.

Also, the worst Canadian team would win every time against the top NCAA team if they played CFL rules. If they played American rules, the worst CFL team would win about 70% of the time against a top NCAA team.

SpreadSniper
    SpreadSniper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7261

Winnipeg LOVES FOOTBALL!!!..... and beer

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I rarely bet on it
    Too erratic
    Scores seem to be getting lower

The Bet Master
    The Bet Master's Avatar Become A Pro!

How do we rarely get to see it? Games are on the NFL Network every week.

William Walters
    William Walters's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Poor athletes in Canada. Slow, drunk, and rather portly.

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

Quote Originally Posted by The Bet Master View Post
    How do we rarely get to see it? Games are on the NFL Network every week.

Perhaps I should've said "rarely choose to see it." Depends on the quality of re-runs available that night.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011