Senator7
    Senator7's Avatar Become A Pro!

Football Magazines

With all the magazines available for both fantasy football and handicapping, are there any out there that should be in every handicapper's arsenal? I've seen the Gold Sheet Annual, Marc Lawrence's Playbook Annual, Insiders' Football Annual, and StatFox Edge Football Annual. I know that Jim Feist has a workbook/annual out as well. Are any of these actually useful and if so, which ones? Any help would be appreciated.

Senator 7

Mudcat
    Mudcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

Welcome to the forum. Good question.

I don't use any magazines myself but there was a thread recently that had a few thoughts on the topic so I'll give it a bump.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I do not use any either, all stuff right on net now and way more up to date.

bookie
    bookie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1042

Welcome Senator...I think those magazines can be useful if you treat them as just an opening snapshot of what will be an evolving reality...the information like returning starters is accurate and the projections such as the rankings of sub-units (Defensive Line, LB, Offensive Line, Running Backs, etc) are more educated guesses than I could make so I do study these magazines to get my first feel for the teams.

Then it's a matter of using the information...watching the games, reading the box scores and seeking out analysis to see if what you thought was going to happen in the games within the games happened so you can make adjustments accordingly.

Something still to be said for paper, I think, at least until I get Internet in my bathroom.

Mudcat
    Mudcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by bookie
    Something still to be said for paper, I think, at least until I get Internet in my bathroom.
    Sharp point.

bookie
    bookie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1042

Senator...I looked at your post again and saw that you were asking for specific recommendations. I like Phil Steel's College Football Preview for schedule and basic reads on team strengths and weaknesses, and especially info on QB's many of whom you'll never have heard of if you bet the whole NCAA card. I also like the Blue Ribbon College Football Preview for a little more player info into the depth chart and more elaborate readings of the likely intentions of offensive and defensive coordinators. CollegeFootballNews.com is the Fox site and has a good preview section as well.

For NFL I like the Gold Sheet which gives a succinct capsule on where each team is at and as well as some basic patterns from the coach's previous preseasons and some speculations about this one. I also like Pro Football Weekly NFL Preview which is good on individual player strengths and weaknesses (like which OL are better at pass or run blocking) which can be useful to know when evaluating injuries.

Senator7
    Senator7's Avatar Become A Pro!

Thanks for the replies. I already got The Gold Sheet Annual which I really like so far. I had also planned on purchasing the Pro Football Weekly NFL Preview. Any reviews on Marc Lawrence's Playbook or Jim Feist's Workbook? I'm pretty much an NFL handicapper so NCAA stuff isn't a big deal to me. Any other replies would be helpful. This forum has given me much more help than The Rx forum did. Seems like a buddy network over there.

Senator 7

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25
    Shortstop's Avatar Become A Pro!

Senator,

We don't need magazines. All we need is provided free of charge by the wonderful posters here at SBR Forum dot com.