stevek173
    stevek173's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5964

Barton all in on bill to legalize online poker

"Joe Barton is all in on a bill to legalize online poker

Rep. Joe Barton found bipartisan support for a bill to legalize online poker. (Facebook photo)
    Rep. Joe Barton, R-Ennis, introduced a bill Friday to legalize online poker, which Barton calls a “game of skill.”

Current law permits playing online poker, but the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act of 2006 bars players from collecting money on their winnings. In April the FBI shut down three major poker sites – Full Tilt Poker, Poker Stars and Absolute Poker – and a grand jury charged 11 defendants with money laundering, bank fraud and violation of gambling laws.

Barton’s bill would legalize the online game and create a federal agency to oversee and regulate the sites. The legislation also requires the websites to register with gaming commissions, though they would have to register in a state that already allows gambling.

Under the bill, people across the country would be able to play online poker for money , but each state would also have the choice to opt out of the law. Other forms of online gambling would still be illegal.

“We want to have an iron-clad system to make sure that those who play for money are playing in an honest, fair system where they can reap the benefits of their winnings,” Barton said in a press release issued from his office. “To put it simply, this bill is about having the personal freedom to play a skill-based game you enjoy without fear of breaking the law.”

Barton – who has admitted to enjoying a game of poker, though not the Internet version – had bipartisan support as he introduced the legislation to the House Energy and Commerce Committee. His bill had 11 co-sponsors, including Rep. Ron Paul, R-Lake Jackson, who is in the midst of cultivating his own controversial bill to legalize marijuana.

The bill would allow millions of online poker plays to legally make money off their hands. (AP photo)
    Although Reps. Barney Frank, D-Mass., (Paul’s co-sponsor for the marijuana bill) and John Campbell, R-Calif., struggled when they unveiled a similar online poker bill last year to the House Financial Services Committee, Barton is hoping for better luck this time around. Barton’s staff has spent the past month working with the Poker Players Alliance to craft the bill, and he will surely have the backing of the millions of online poker devotees.

“Poker is an all-American game,” Barton said, “and it’s a game that requires strategy and skill.”"

This could be good.

Br0nxer
    July 2012 Poster of the Month
    Br0nxer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 888

didn't you say you were leaving SBR

what are you still doing here

stevek173
    stevek173's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5964

I was in a bad mood, I changed my mind. This is an informative, constructive post that is beneficial to the cummunity so take it for what it is and go **** yourself while you are at it.

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

I love it... a republican. I hope all those know-it-all fukks on 2p2 are hiding right now after telling the sheep to vote only democrats to help their "agenda" of legalizing online poker

ShogunRua
    Update Status
    ShogunRua's Avatar Become A Pro!

Anybody think this will ever really happen?

rake922
    rake922's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2117

nosniboR11
    fu
    nosniboR11's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by RudyRuetigger View Post
    I love it... a republican. I hope all those know-it-all fukks on 2p2 are hiding right now after telling the sheep to vote only democrats to help their "agenda" of legalizing online poker

conservative Republican , plus he is a great guy, have had dinner with Mr. Barton

muldoon
    muldoon's Avatar Become A Pro!

Try glancing over the bill before you praise the douche that apologized to BP after they destroyed the gulf.

caseyking2
    Clemson Tigers!!
    caseyking2's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2490

Hell they are legalizing damn gay's to marry but we can't gamble legally!!! Come on let us degenerates gamble. I can't go play poker or go place a wager legally but I can go marry a dude in NY now??

EmpireMaker
    EmpireMaker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 549

I would like to see someone get a bill through that allows us to play poker online safely and without hassles