Stumpage
    Update your status
    Stumpage's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13676

Philadelphia weather conditions.....

For anybody interested, the forecast between 8:00 and 11:00 PM tonight in Philly is:

*6 Degrees celsius (43 Degrees for the American friends...)
    *Variable Cloudiness
    *20% Chance of Precipitation

According to these chaps anyway:

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/uspa1276

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

What a mess this whole thing has become. Even if this was the Yankees vs. the Mets, most casual fans would not have baseball on their mind after this crap and at this time of the year. And even for a hardcore fan such as myself, I just can't get into planning my evening around MAYBE watching THREE FRICKIN' INNINGS!

Mudcat
    Mudcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

I hear that next year, the World Series could run as late as Nov. 7th.

It seems like only a matter of time before MLB is going to stop dodging bullets and have a full-fledged problem with weather conditions. Some northern team that plays outdoors is going to be having a blizzard when MLB wants them playing ball.

So they'll either have to make the radical move of playing somewhere else - imagine that - or else decide the champion of the sport on an icy, snowy field with winds whistling in the middle of the night and players wearing parkas.

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

The weather is certainly part of the issue, at least with me. Even if they have the slate so that the last World Series game would be around Oct 20 each year, there still could be problems when it comes to rain. MLB is NOT going to shorten the season in any manner, either by lopping games off the schedule or by offering doubleheaders during the regular season. So the only way to keep from being extended to Halloween or November would be to start things earlier, which will lead to some weather issues in late March.

But weather is only part of my point. By extending the season, indeed, the high point of the season with the World Series, to this time of year, MLB is battling three other major sports, four if you count hockey. Most fans are in full football mode, NFL and college, at this time, and now MLB is having to compete with the excitement from the start of the NBA season.

MLB even compounds the problem in that they won't even begin to announce their season awards until Nov 10. Now how many people are going to even notice two weeks from now when they announce MVP, Cy Young, etc?

Mudcat

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Bee View Post
    So the only way to keep from being extended to Halloween or November would be to start things earlier, which will lead to some weather issues in late March.

Memories of the very first game of the Blue Jays franchise, played in the snow and freezing cold at old Exhibition Stadium, Apr. 7, 1977.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
    Memories of the very first game of the Blue Jays franchise, played in the snow and freezing cold at old Exhibition Stadium, Apr. 7, 1977.
    A blast from the past in regards to Exhibition Stadium. I remember watching games from that stadium back in the day. The weather conditions in April were as bad as they were in September. They should have built the dome many of years before they actually did up there, because the weather always became a factor.

Beat up the book
    Beat up the book's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 433

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpage View Post
    For anybody interested, the forecast between 8:00 and 11:00 PM tonight in Philly is:

*6 Degrees celsius (43 Degrees for the American friends...)
    *Variable Cloudiness
    *20% Chance of Precipitation

According to these chaps anyway:

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/uspa1276
    I live 1 hour west of Philly,its colder then a witch's !It's looked like rain all day, and its really windy.
    Ticket stubs (which get you back in the game) are going for $300 plus.I have one and i am still going to watch the game from my couch. Its Cold!

Stumpage
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by Beat up the book View Post
    I live 1 hour west of Philly,its colder then a witch's !It's looked like rain all day, and its really windy.
    Ticket stubs (which get you back in the game) are going for $300 plus.I have one and i am still going to watch the game from my couch. Its Cold!
    That's good info.....If you don't mind, please post any significant changes throughout the day, although that seems pretty bloody nasty already.....

Mudcat

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan View Post
    A blast from the past in regards to Exhibition Stadium. I remember watching games from that stadium back in the day. The weather conditions in April were as bad as they were in September. They should have built the dome many of years before they actually did up there, because the weather always became a factor.

I remember sitting in that stadium for game 7 of the 1985 ALCS. That would have been mid October. It was pretty miserable.

The fact that Kansas beat us did not help.

Some people will actually complain about our retractable stadium sometimes - but not on days like that.

Still, Toronto is not as bad weather-wise as some other cities that have teams. But wherever you are, you just never know when a freakish system is going to hit.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
    Some people will actually complain about our retractable stadium sometimes - but not on days like that.

S
    If any MLB team that needed a retractable roof, it's Toronto.

Beat up the book

Snopp Dog called it,
    Its just starting to DRIZZLE!!

RogueJuror
    RogueJuror's Avatar Become A Pro!

Beaty up keep us updated, make a movie

ZBOIZ
    ZBOIZ's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9739

What do you like on the total guys????

Beat up the book

No shit, its sunny now!!!
    Still windy and cold.

zboiz, staying away from the total.

RageWizard
    RageWizard's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Bee View Post
    The weather is certainly part of the issue, at least with me. Even if they have the slate so that the last World Series game would be around Oct 20 each year, there still could be problems when it comes to rain. MLB is NOT going to shorten the season in any manner, either by lopping games off the schedule or by offering doubleheaders during the regular season. So the only way to keep from being extended to Halloween or November would be to start things earlier, which will lead to some weather issues in late March.

But weather is only part of my point. By extending the season, indeed, the high point of the season with the World Series, to this time of year, MLB is battling three other major sports, four if you count hockey. Most fans are in full football mode, NFL and college, at this time, and now MLB is having to compete with the excitement from the start of the NBA season.

MLB even compounds the problem in that they won't even begin to announce their season awards until Nov 10. Now how many people are going to even notice two weeks from now when they announce MVP, Cy Young, etc?

You're right Willie. Just about the time the world series is starting, you have football in mid season, hocky and basketball starting up, and even the end of Nascar going on. They should shorten the season. 162 games is a shit load, the season is way too long for the average fan.

blackbart
    blackbart's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20721

its not the 162 games, it the playoffs, remember they used to last one week. The world series, the two league champs, that was it.

Beat up the book

Updated game time forcast,
    Low 40's but wind chill in low 30's
    Wind from the west 15-20
    No rain! 50% chance phils win!!

smitch124
    smitch124's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1547

Oh come on just play the game, there is nothing colder than Candlestick at night in July!!

Beat up the book

Quote Originally Posted by smitch124 View Post
    Oh come on just play the game, there is nothing colder than Candlestick at night in July!!
    Its on.
    Did i mention its cold here.

RogueJuror
    RogueJuror's Avatar Become A Pro!

thx beaty up

Mudcat

Quote Originally Posted by Beat up the book View Post
    Updated game time forcast,
    Low 40's but wind chill in low 30's
    Wind from the west 15-20

Conditions like that make me want to grab my glove and put on the ole baseball gear and take to the field myself.

Stumpage
    Update your status

Well done Beaty Up....SBR's own Inside Man.....

Beat up the book

Thanks guys.