t-wizzle
    t-wizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2191

Why Kentucky is the Play (Write-up)

For weeks now, I have been very high on the Kentucky Wildcats. If you follow college basketball closely, you know that this team has grown immensely over the course of the season. They have gone from a team that was trying to find its identity early on to a team that has a true identity as we have now reached the Final Four. This Wildcats team, unlike last year's edition, plays as a team. The talent advantage is evident, but they have consistently outworked their opponents and that is why they are where they are. In short, this team's identity comes down to 2 things: Defense and the ability to stay in the moment.

It is one thing to have talent and athleticism and I'm not gonna act like Kentucky is at a disadvantage when it comes to those but it is another to use that talent and athleticism the right way. These players have bought into the belief that defense wins. Liggins is as good as it gets defensively. He uses his length to disrupt the opponent and force them into bad shots. But the more important thing is the great team defense these guys play. Kemba Walker is a hell of a player and he has done a great job of not only taking over games by scoring but by involving his teammates. Still, he is UConn's offense. Kentucky will be able to contain Walker with strong team defense and when Kemba is able to get to the rim, he'll be met by Josh Harrellson.

I really can't say enough about Harrellson. His numbers are showing that he's having a great tournament but it's really so much more than that. The offensive rebounds are demoralizing for the other team. Even if he doesn't get the putback, Harrellson is often able to kick it back out and there is usually an open shooter with so many players crashing the boards and trying to keep Harrellson from grabbing the rebound. Which leads me to my next point - Kentucky hits big shots from the perimeter. Remember last year when they were something like 0-for-20 from 3's against West Virginia in the Elite 8? That's simply not the case with this year's team. Knight, Jones, Lamb, Miller, Liggins... take your pick. They can all knock down shots from outside. Particularly in the college game, 3 pointers play a huge role in the momentum of the game so Kentucky's ability to hit 3s is a big time advantage.

Like I said, Kentucky has the ability to stay in the moment. They have some real cool customers and their biggest clutch performer is Brandon Knight. 2 game-winning shots in the tournament so far for him; the game seems to slow down when he has the ball late and you just get that feeling that he is going to make a play. Some guys love the big moment and he is one of them. The entire team in general though has been able to play well during crunch time - playing in some hostile SEC environments, they have come a long way from close losses at Georgia, at Alabama, at Vandy, and at Arkansas. They were able to win some close battles on their home floor against Florida and Vanderbilt before picking up a really nice win at Tennessee in a game that I thought propelled them into the tournament. The Vols were in control most of that game until late in the second half when the Wildcats took over. Down 1 with 5 and change to play, Kentucky dominated the final minutes of that game and a bit 3 by Darius Miller sealed the deal. Looking back, that game may not seem so impressive considering what's gone on at Tennessee but that was a huge game for the Vols in their home finale. I will always look back at that win as being the one that changed this Kentucky team (KY went on to win the SEC tourney, including a decisive championship game win against a very good Florida team).

The Wildcats had their scare against Princeton but I really think this team is primed to win the title. UConn is going to put forth a great fight and the game should be a hell of a battle but overall I just think Kentucky's defense is going to give Walker and the rest of the Huskies fits. Oriakhi won't be able to do much against Harrellson inside and Kentucky will hit the big shots that will ultimately give them the edge.

We all know how these games always seem to come down to the end so I wouldn't advise laying 2.5. Normally, I don't play MLs but this is right around where I draw the line in the -140 range. I'm looking at this as a pretty big play, maybe in the 10x range. Good luck and enjoy the games.
    Points Awarded:

bobbyfk gave t-wizzle 5 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: daimoshokage, and megahead05

pimike
    SPORTS IS MONEY
    pimike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 90326

Nice write up. Why not just go big on Kentucky to win it all at +140?

bobbyfk
    Las Vegas Local
    bobbyfk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1506

Quote Originally Posted by t-wizzle View Post
    For weeks now, I have been very high on the Kentucky Wildcats. If you follow college basketball closely, you know that this team has grown immensely over the course of the season. They have gone from a team that was trying to find its identity early on to a team that has a true identity as we have now reached the Final Four. This Wildcats team, unlike last year's edition, plays as a team. The talent advantage is evident, but they have consistently outworked their opponents and that is why they are where they are. In short, this team's identity comes down to 2 things: Defense and the ability to stay in the moment.

It is one thing to have talent and athleticism and I'm not gonna act like Kentucky is at a disadvantage when it comes to those but it is another to use that talent and athleticism the right way. These players have bought into the belief that defense wins. Liggins is as good as it gets defensively. He uses his length to disrupt the opponent and force them into bad shots. But the more important thing is the great team defense these guys play. Kemba Walker is a hell of a player and he has done a great job of not only taking over games by scoring but by involving his teammates. Still, he is UConn's offense. Kentucky will be able to contain Walker with strong team defense and when Kemba is able to get to the rim, he'll be met by Josh Harrellson.

I really can't say enough about Harrellson. His numbers are showing that he's having a great tournament but it's really so much more than that. The offensive rebounds are demoralizing for the other team. Even if he doesn't get the putback, Harrellson is often able to kick it back out and there is usually an open shooter with so many players crashing the boards and trying to keep Harrellson from grabbing the rebound. Which leads me to my next point - Kentucky hits big shots from the perimeter. Remember last year when they were something like 0-for-20 from 3's against West Virginia in the Elite 8? That's simply not the case with this year's team. Knight, Jones, Lamb, Miller, Liggins... take your pick. They can all knock down shots from outside. Particularly in the college game, 3 pointers play a huge role in the momentum of the game so Kentucky's ability to hit 3s is a big time advantage.

Like I said, Kentucky has the ability to stay in the moment. They have some real cool customers and their biggest clutch performer is Brandon Knight. 2 game-winning shots in the tournament so far for him; the game seems to slow down when he has the ball late and you just get that feeling that he is going to make a play. Some guys love the big moment and he is one of them. The entire team in general though has been able to play well during crunch time - playing in some hostile SEC environments, they have come a long way from close losses at Georgia, at Alabama, at Vandy, and at Arkansas. They were able to win some close battles on their home floor against Florida and Vanderbilt before picking up a really nice win at Tennessee in a game that I thought propelled them into the tournament. The Vols were in control most of that game until late in the second half when the Wildcats took over. Down 1 with 5 and change to play, Kentucky dominated the final minutes of that game and a bit 3 by Darius Miller sealed the deal. Looking back, that game may not seem so impressive considering what's gone on at Tennessee but that was a huge game for the Vols in their home finale. I will always look back at that win as being the one that changed this Kentucky team (KY went on to win the SEC tourney, including a decisive championship game win against a very good Florida team).

The Wildcats had their scare against Princeton but I really think this team is primed to win the title. UConn is going to put forth a great fight and the game should be a hell of a battle but overall I just think Kentucky's defense is going to give Walker and the rest of the Huskies fits. Oriakhi won't be able to do much against Harrellson inside and Kentucky will hit the big shots that will ultimately give them the edge.

We all know how these games always seem to come down to the end so I wouldn't advise laying 2.5. Normally, I don't play MLs but this is right around where I draw the line in the -140 range. I'm looking at this as a pretty big play, maybe in the 10x range. Good luck and enjoy the games.
    GREAT write-up

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

I just can't do it, t-wizz. Kemba's buried me too many times.

GL, though. Don't think I'll play either game tomorrow, believe it or not.

JohnnyD4916
    JohnnyD4916's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 731

Good luck with your play

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32303

Very nice write up.
    Well done.

I'm on the other side, but wish you success.

DeeWizzle
    DeeWizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 109

Nice work T.

t-wizzle
    t-wizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2191

Dee, nice job with the song

DeeWizzle
    DeeWizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 109

Thanks T, appreciate it... If I make another one I'II give you a shout out my feIIow wizzIe cousin...

CRM20
    Update your status
    CRM20's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3160

Nice write up, loving KY as well, UCONN has overachieved and should of lost to zona, ill be on that side as well bol

HR Paperstacks
    HR Paperstacks's Avatar Become A Pro!

Great write up and I agree on all points. You hit the nail on the head about the game @ Tennessee to end the regular season. That game changed this team big time for the better, they were finally able to win a tight game on the road and this team has been great ever since then. I expect a tough battle saturday and havent decided if I will play the game or not but I love my cats chances.

king
    king's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 138

I had UConn to win from the start. Kemba Walker a name that I had recognize since he was in high school has beaten many D1 players and pro while in HS at leagues that are for pro's and college players. Kemba is way more hungry to win since it's his last year. KY is a great team but not the same KY that they has last year with better talents. If only John Wall and Cousins stayed another year in college they could of been undefeated the whole season and take march madness easily.

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24866

Might just have to sit back and pour a brew and enjoy the game here boys. Just cant decide...

sweethook
    sweethook's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10476

yea looks good and yes tenn game was the deal

valaub04
    valaub04's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 171

I'm riding shotgun with you on UK.

JDUB07
    Houston Cougars!!!
    JDUB07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 108

I keep thinking that Connecticut is going to lose every single week since the Cinci game but somehow they keep pulling it out game after game.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7726

Good luck bro- rlm in your favor as well. Kentucky looks like the play. BOL

top310
    top310's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2518

Gonna keep riding Kentucky
    lets get it.

daimoshokage
    daimoshokage's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 57

Pound Kentucky!!!!

the_situation
    the_situation's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6309

Kentucky

beerman2619
    beerman2619's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 459

nice write up but Kentucky season is over come saturday.

beerman2619

does 84 to 67 ring a bell kids? Does the hottest team in the Ncaa's with the best player in the final four Uconn is the way to go.

ukbsktbll
    ukbsktbll's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

Uconn is great but we have grown a lot. Kemba has been clutch this entire tourney but he is one player. I can't wait till the game.

StraitShooter
    Miami Florida
    StraitShooter's Avatar Become A Pro!

youth scares me..I have bet against UCON every game expecting them to lose and they never do

beerman2619

84 to 67 i've watched this beat down over and over. Kentucky may have grown some but Uconn is so much better. This team has had a much tougher road in the tourney. Basically beating Arizona and San Diego st on there home floors. Come on kids Calipari doesn't have enough money to buy off the refs in this one. Uconn blows out the cats again kids.

beerman2619

did someone say Walker is only one player

Ralphie1412
    You Come at the King You Best Not Miss
    Ralphie1412's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1209

Kemba built my bankroll. I aint hopping off now. If Lamb plays like he did against zona its over. I like Napiers game a lot. He brings a lot of energy.

shawnkang
    shawnkang's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

i like uconn here.

bobby heenan
    Update your status
    bobby heenan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 75

im from RI n lived there all my life...i work in CT...i hate Uconn...their fans act like they invented the game of basketball

im on kentucky...mostly because im riding them...had em against ohio st. and unc(also played zona plus 3...only time ive played against uconn)....n i think this is much the same

lamb annoys the **** outta me...hes that guy....everyone knows kemba...but lamb is the guy on that team you hate that annoys you.....anticipating a passing lane for a steal and breakaway dunk.....hitting an awkward j....

at the same time...as ive said....the reason kentucky is favored is a length/size and depth advantage....at least a perceived advantage.....they can throw a 6-6 guy off the bench on your pg......i love kenutcky on the ml...and have taken several straight up bets at work.....if the line continues to move towards uconn getting more points? i might make a nice play on em

kidkonggolf
    Update your status
    kidkonggolf's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2543

vcu and kentucky will advance to championship game.
    BOL

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

maybe write a little about uconn, seems like you know a lot about one of the teams

Balco10
    Balco10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

Coach Cap usually chokes this these games. I see UCONN winning this by 10 plus!

Balco10
    Balco10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

Who is the best player of both teams? Kemba...Who has a better coach UCONN...under dogs and determined to win.
    My balance is on UCONN!

CreaturE
    Thanks to everyone helping me!!!
    CreaturE's Avatar Become A Pro!

UCONN should certainly win this. Their team is simply the best in the final four right now. Teams can choke unfortunately, but I just don't think with Kemba's thirst to win this game they can lose.

I've got 300+ points on UCONN whether it's straight up or in a parlay. They won't fail me.

raiderfootball46
    raiderfootball46's Avatar Become A Pro!

Uconnn to the bank .. If Brandon knight gets shut down, they are toast. Kemba won't lose now. 15-0 on neutral courts for Uconn.

123 Last