Originally posted on 12/04/2011:

some really great clips from a cbs.com writer...

"Oklahoma State got screwed by voters, who are influenced by the two biggest television networks in college football...

It's an SEC thing. The SEC has been the best conference in football for years, a statement that is beyond dispute. As such, the SEC was assumed to be the best conference in football this year as well, when that is very much in dispute. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that is very much incorrect.

Because Alabama is in the SEC, and the networks love the SEC. They have reason to, given the top-dollar TV contracts given to the SEC, but it's more subtle than that. Familiarity breeds appreciation, which explains the unfathomably bad songs that make it into the Top 40. Why are they there? Because the radio plays them. Why does the radio play them? Because they're in the Top 40. It's a vicious cycle that has resulted in Katy Perry in your eardrums, and Alabama in your favorite bowl game.

Look, I was watching the same stuff you were watching Saturday. In the afternoon I saw one network show LSU's demolition of Georgia while its announcers lobbied for a BCS rematch of LSU and Alabama. And then in the evening I saw another network show Oklahoma State's demolition of Oklahoma while its ticker scrolled across the bottom of the screen with information about next month's BCS rematch between LSU and Alabama.

Meanwhile, Oklahoma State just scored again. And again. But no matter, because Oklahoma State was scoring against Oklahoma, and how good can Oklahoma be? After all, the Sooners aren't in the SEC. Georgia is, and Georgia went into the SEC title game on Saturday ranked ahead of Oklahoma in the Top 25 despite the fact Georgia hadn't beaten anybody in the Top 25 (while Oklahoma had defeated No. 16 Kansas State and No. 25 Florida State). Georgia had 10 victories, and that's a nice feat, but those 10 victories were against one Division I-AA team and nine unranked Division I-A teams with a combined record of 49-60. Sounds a lot like the resume of Southern Miss, but Southern Miss is in Conference USA. Which is why Southern Miss was ranked No. 24 on Saturday.

It's a cycle of stupid, and other than eliminating the BCS, I don't know how to get out of it. But this isn't right, giving Alabama the chance to do something it already failed at once, and failed at home no less. The Crimson Tide played LSU in Tuscaloosa on Nov. 5 and lost 9-6. I'm not saying Alabama can't beat LSU in New Orleans on Jan. 9 -- but Alabama already had its shot, at home, and lost.
Why doesn't Oklahoma State get a shot at all?
Because it's in the wrong conference.

Oklahoma State isn't in the SEC, and that's the only factor we need. And so Alabama will get a second shot at LSU while Oklahoma State won't get a first shot at LSU. That's your BCS title game: LSU-Alabama II.
Katy Perry should sing the national anthem"...lol.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^

all that aside...congrat's to the kids on the bama team. they deserve it just as much as anyone else...and i know 99% of them are good kids, just poorly represented by a lot of the classless fans on this site. see i do think you can make a case for ostate...but it is not fair to take anything away from the bama kids. both really good teams, full of great kids i am sure...and both deserving of our respect. you see, i hate the joke espn is becoming, and i hate the joke that is the bcs...but nobody can take anything away from bama, or deny they will give lsu all they want. i shut the first "game of the century" this year off at halftime, and i may not even watch this one...but i do think it will be close, and the winner is deserving of the title.