I hear your sentiments, but the REAL issue is, we buy their licensed merchandise. WE watch ESPN, sorry, if you're watching anything but ESPN news occasionally, you're doing it wrong - further enhancing player hype. We also watch the games. Viewership=ratings which=money.

It sucks, but, to be frank, watch soccer on the web and punt that. You help NO ONE but yourself. As far as I'm concerned, I only go to minor league ball games now (they are fun) and preseason events. No way in hell I'm buying tickets to any regular season game. I can get laid for less coin, just sayin. I also refuse to buy licensed merchandise, no matter what kind of sports nut I am.

It's not us causing the problem, to be honest, we're punters and avid avid sports fans. It's your average duder or over-paid douche that pays 400+$ for a seat at the new Yankee Stadium.
From what I understand, both NY stadiums are easy to get tickets to, after their first year... No one wants to pay more than what it cost to get taco bell for a month just to watch a bunch of duders that don't give a crap until the playoffs.

I stopped goin to watch the NBA live at the Garden about 15 years ago. The game NEVER started until maybe the first 5 or so minutes, and even then, it was pedestrian play until the final minutes of the game.

Fans built this problem. If you don't like it, don't watch ESPN. Stop going to games. Stop watching games at home and pirate the feed off the 'net. Stop buying their merchandise.
I refuse on principle to buy authenticated merchandise. A 'knock off' jersey is made in a sweatshop and the markup is ridiculous... You're paying for something that costs 2 bux to make, maybe, but pay a dick dickload more.

To be honest, I've seen enough labor unrest in my almost 40 years to just say 'f it', but I love the top competition and the big games. It's probably why I only watch soccer and the NFL. Just about every game is worth something.