bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Favre leaning twords retirement

can you really blame the guy for not going back where your not wanted.

Favre: As of now ``I would say I'm not coming back''

January 30, 2006

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) -- Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre says he has not yet made a decision on whether to play next season, but would lean toward retirement if he had to decide right now.

"I wish I knew," he said in an interview that aired Sunday on ESPN. "I still know I can play. I still love to play. But there's just so much more to it than that now. I never thought it would be complicated, never thought I would give out mentally before I did physically.

"If I had to pick right now and make a decision, I would say I'm not coming back."

The 36-year-old Favre threw a career-high 29 interceptions this season and failed to throw for more than 20 touchdowns for only the second time since 1993 as the Packers finished 4-12 for their first losing season since he joined the team in 1992.

"There's days I wake up and say, 'You know what? I can't retire. Don't be stupid. What will I do?"' Favre said. "There's other days, I go, 'What if it's crunch time, 2 minutes left, do you want the ball?' I don't know if I do.

"If I was to come back and play, I would hope that I would be totally committed to the team, because I've always been that type of player."

Favre said the Packers need to know soon to properly prepare for the NFL draft and other offseason personnel decisions. He said he feels fine and that "my arm is as good today as it was 10 years ago."

"I'd like to wait 'til training camp," Favre said with a laugh. "But I know I have to make the decision in the next month for their sake."

Favre met last week with Packers general manager Ted Thompson and new coach Mike McCarthy and said he was honest about his mixed feelings.

"I love the team, I love the Packers, and it's not about me, it's about everyone involved and I want to make the right decision for everyone involved," he said.

Favre said he told Thompson if the team doesn't want to wait for him to commit to either playing the 2006 season or retiring, then he should be "cut loose."

"When you sit down and tell a GM, 'I don't know if I can give you everything' -- and I have -- that's usually the first ticket out of town," Favre said.

Thompson told The Associated Press on Monday morning that Favre's comments don't sound dramatically different from what he said when they met last week.

"That's a decision Brett has to make with his family," Thompson said. "They'll get it worked out."

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4747

I seen the interview on ESPN last night. He didnt look like he wanted to come back next season.

'What if it's crunch time, 2 minutes left, do you want the ball?' I don't know if I do.
    That right there tells me he dont want to play anymore. If you dont have the heart to be in there, then you might as well not be.

Micheal Irvin said it right, if Farve is going to go back and forth on weather he wants to play durning the offseason, Farve will have another terrible season if he decides to come back. Because that is what he did last year, and look at the bad season he had.

Just hang it up Farve, you had a great career, no need to prove anything.

BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

I think he is afraid he will have nothing to do if he retires....

He is not eloquent (or smart enough) to be a broadcaster like say a troy aikman or a boomer esiason...but I guess Shannon Sharpe somehow is....he would just end up like Sandy Koufax when he was a broadcaster very aloof.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

double B, when you have the kind of money Brett has. i'm sure you can find something to do on a daily basis.

BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

Yeah but so does Troy Aikmen and Dan Marino and Boomer Esisason and so on.....i mean people don't retire at 36 they get very bored and they are still attched to football and broadcasting is natural especially for high name players.

It's not like Brett is going to work at a factory....he's got to do something close to football or sit home all day.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Brett would make a great coach in my opinion. I think he will retire.