bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

McNabb says race is an issue at quarterback

I'm sorry but race shouldn't even be an excuse at all. Lets take McNabb's play this year, and analyze it. To me it looks like he's more scared to go outside the box in order to make a play. Just because he's not feeling the love from Philly fans anymore he shouldn't be playing the race card at all.

McNabb says race is an issue at quarterback

By PA SportsTicker

Philadelphia Eagles superstar Donovan McNabb says African-American quarterbacks are perceived differently than their white counterparts in an interview that will air Tuesday night on HBO's "Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel."

In the conversation with James Brown, McNabb says African-American quarterbacks such as himself face added pressure because there are fewer black quarterbacks. He also says some people still don't want black athletes playing the position.

"There's not that many African-American quarterbacks, so we have to do a little bit extra," McNabb told HBO in the interview that took place on August 31. "Because the percentage of us playing this position, which people didn't want us to play, is low, so we have to do a little extra."

Brown also pressed McNabb with the issue of race in reactions to people have about his play.

"I pass for 300 yards, our teams wins by seven, (mimicking), 'Ah, he could have made this throw, they would have scored if he did this,'" McNabb explained.

Brown then continued to press McNabb, asking, "Doesn't every quarterback go through that?"

"Not everybody," McNabb replied.

Brown then pondered if the media is as tough on white quarterbacks Peyton Manning or Carson Palmer, or if they are more harsh on McNabb because he's African-American.

"Let me start by saying I love those guys," McNabb said. "But they don't get criticized as much as we do. They don't."

The interview actually began with McNabb talking about playing in Philadelphia, a city known for its passionate fans who routinely boo.

"Every year I'm part of some criticism," McNabb said with a laugh. "But every day that we go through life, you're faced with a lot of adversity. Now the answer is how do you handle the adversity. How do you respond?

"I try to handle myself with class. I try to handle myself with dignity. I think sometimes people look to players to act out, speak loudly, pretty much be an idiot. But that's not me."

McNabb's relationship with Philadelphia fans got off to a rocky start. When he was selected second overall by the franchise in 1999, a hoard of fans made their way to New York to boo the selection.

In October 2003, radio talk show host Rush Limbaugh resigned from ESPN's "Sunday NFL Countdown" for comments that McNabb was overrated because the media wanted to see a black quarterback succeed.

Even though he has led the Eagles to four NFC championship games and a Super Bowl appearance during his tenure, McNabb continues to be a regular source of criticism in Philadelphia.

Doc JS
    Doc JS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Grossman is white. He sucks, too!

411's Avatar Become A Pro!

McNabb made 1 too many soup commercials and forgot to eat his chunky soup yesterday .

411's Avatar Become A Pro!

hi again , If you look at all the teams that lost yesterday and look at the qb play of those guys ? The monday night game put him in the national spotlight more for us to look bad on him . If we really looked at it closely we would see alot of the qbs this week did no better than McNabb .

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

McNabb reminds me of a pencil that needs sharpening. Or a wet match. The guy needs to start worrying about his own performance, instead of what the world thinks about him, like he's some kind of victim. Why would QB's be perceived any different than other players? If you're sharp, you're sharp. Doesn't matter if you're green, blue, purple or orange. If you're terrible, you're going to hear it. Stop hiding behind rascism McNabb. Throw some f*cking TD passes.
    Last edited by Dark Horse; 09-18-07 at 07:40 PM.

Sportsgirl
    Sportsgirl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 169

I'm sure that if his team was 2-0 and he had a 106. QB rating with stats to match, he wouldn't even be thinking about race. It usually comes up when it appears to all people, racist or not, that regardless of the color of your skin, you just plain suck.

EGGY6199
    EGGY6199's Avatar Become A Pro!

Lets be fair its not like when you join a NFL team you are surrounded by 99% white people and feel like a stranger.

This is all because they are 0-2 when he could have won the game late in the 4th when he missed the open WR.

Plus philly have drafted a good young QB who will take his spot sometime next season.

He is still a great QB just not 100% hence no running

pokernut9999
    pokernut9999's Avatar Become A Pro!

They are treated differently. They are always called great athletes, how many time do you hear that about a white QB.

The white QB's should be hurt , I am sure there are some whites that are at least good athletes.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

When a QB loses, he catches heat. When a QB doesn't throw more TDs than INTs, he catches heat. These are facts. There's nothing racist about TDs, INTs, WINs, & LOSSes. Or is McNabb saying that there is?

Typically, I'm in McNabbs corner because he seems to have always kept quiet and taken the high road. That's what makes this more ominous. We've gotta take him seriously because he's had a track record of integrity. It's gotta be tough for a guy that's been so great for so long and now he's looking like the end might be near on his career. Maybe he's just starting to crack and flinging out desperate quotes out of frustration. I hope he can turn it around and give a couple more good years. He's a heck of a guy to watch when he's throwing daggars.

IWishIWasRich
    IWishIWasRich's Avatar Become A Pro!

If he keeps moving about and throwing like he is an old man (I'm an old man) no one will care what he says and will boycott Chunky Soup. I'm glad we don't have to watch THOSE commericals 6 times a game like we used to.

Spyder31
    Spyder31's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 67

If I recall right, a couple of years ago a lot of people were writing McNabb off early in the year and he came back and had an excellent year. When he loses a few more games maybe I will criticize him, until then I think Ill just wait and see.

EJandV
    EJandV's Avatar Become A Pro!

Slacker , by the way that was a good call on the skins + 7 you made . Remember we were talking 7 days before the game came on and you said I will take the skins ........... I said I dont know right now ....... you nailed it and I bit the dust on it .