stake1
    stake1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2438

Former Colts and Buckeyes qb: Art Schlichter in trouble again

INDIANAPOLIS -- Former Colts quarterback Art Schlichter was found unresponsive at an Ohio Hampton Inn in June -- less than a year after he was released from prison for federal fraud charges related to a massive ticket scheme that bilked millions of dollars from his victims.

Inside Schlichter's hotel room, officers found a substance they believed to be cocaine.

According to court documents, police responded to a report of an overdose at the Hampton Inn on Lyman Drive in Hilliard, Ohio. Officers could not get Schlichter, 62, to respond.

He was resuscitated with the help of Narcan, a nasal spray used for the treatment of a known or suspected opioid overdose that includes signs of breathing problems. Schlichter was then taken to the hospital.

A test of the substance found in Schlichter's hotel room came back as cocaine, court documents said. Schlichter was charged with possession of cocaine, a fifth-degree felony.

Schlichter, a former Ohio State star quarterback, was picked fourth overall in the NFL draft by the Baltimore Colts in 1982.
    He will appear Friday in Franklin County Municipal Court.

stake1

A seemingly new beginning

After a run of prison sentences that spanned two decades -- brought on by a gambling addiction that led to financial fraud, theft and shattered an NFL dream -- Schlichter was released from prison in June 2021.

Court records showed Schlichter became eligible for parole June 13, 2021, and was released from the Trumbull Correctional Institution in Leavittsburg, Ohio, the next day.

According to the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation & Correction, Schlichter was listed as being under "APA Supervision" for the next five years. That meant Schlichter would be supervised by the Adult Parole Authority in Ohio, responsible for adult felony offenders returning to the community.

As part of his parole, Schlichter was required to sign a contract agreeing to a number of rules, including not to own guns, use illegal drugs or leave the state without notifying his parole officer.

"My advice to anyone coming upon Mr. Schlichter is that they not engage in any business transactions or any purchases or any other transactions that would involve giving him any money," Ron O'Brien, former Franklin (Ohio) County prosecutor who fought to keep Schlichter in prison, told IndyStar in 2021.

"(He) is a career criminal engaged in fraud as a career," O'Brien said. "He just cannot help himself. He will do this the rest of his life."

IndyStar reached out to Schlichter's attorney Stephen Palmer, who did not immediately respond Wednesday night.

stake1

'He is past the point of rehabilitation'

Schlichter pleaded guilty to a massive ticket scheme that bilked millions of dollars from his victims in September 2011. In that scheme, he promised college and NFL game tickets to buyers, but never delivered the tickets despite being paid for them. He was sentenced and released on bond.

Four months later, in January 2012, Schlichter's bond was revoked due to drug use. According to court records, Schlichter was charged with violating the terms of his house arrest, testing positive for cocaine twice and then refusing to give urine samples. He was taken into custody.

In May 2012, Schlichter was sentenced to nearly 11 years in the Federal Correctional Institute in Florence, Colorado, and 10 years in an Ohio penitentiary. The two sentences were to be served concurrently, and with good behavior Schlichter was to be released Aug. 18, 2020.

But from inside the walls of prison, just months before his scheduled release, Schlichter was having women outside the prison place bets for him, O'Brien told IndyStar.

Fishhead
    Fishhead's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11769

As reported on forums previously, knew Art here in Vegas.................he once tried to have me give him 2k in exchange for his work check

stake1

Quote Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
    As reported on forums previously, knew Art here in Vegas.................he once tried to have me give him 2k in exchange for his work check
    what was the amount of his work check?

Fishhead

Quote Originally Posted by stake1 View Post
    what was the amount of his work check?
    Don't recall, I never seen the actual check and forget the actual amount he stated, told him to go to check cashing place and get loan with it.............he gave me some BS story on a late Friday afternoon that his bank would not release the funds until Saturday and he was leaving for Disneyland with his family that night, lol.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

guy insane

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero
    cincinnatikid513's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 100

ohio state never produces good nfl qbs

Fishhead

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    guy insane
    Yes, but he was great guy to hang with in sportbook to talk sports and wager with.

We hung out a lot together at the Mirage and GN downtown.
    Points Awarded:

manny24 gave Fishhead 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

He's one of the sickest motherfuckers who ever lived

kyhawk
    kyhawk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7824

The real backstory of FH (and me) is that Art is the reason we even went to Vegas.

No way was Vegas on our radar for a couple of hicks from Iowa

Ohio St had to beat Mich for Iowa to go to the Rose Bowl. I can still remember his sneak for the winning score.

I think 250, tickets to Rose Bowl, the Frontier in Vegas with tickets to Siegfried and Roy, etc.

Fish and I booked a charter bus with and stopped in Vegas along the way.

FH bet a ton on Hawks vs Wash as a fav. Squarest of square , Big Ten fav at Rose bowl.

Hawks lose 28 to 0. Got immediately on the bus for a 48hr trip back, crawling on the interstate in a blizzard.

All you could see of FH car was the antenna

A few years later we moved there at different times.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: stake1, and manny24

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11913

Lock him up....

stake1

Quote Originally Posted by kyhawk View Post
    The real backstory of FH (and me) is that Art is the reason we even went to Vegas.

No way was Vegas on our radar for a couple of hicks from Iowa

Ohio St had to beat Mich for Iowa to go to the Rose Bowl. I can still remember his sneak for the winning score.

I think 250, tickets to Rose Bowl, the Frontier in Vegas with tickets to Siegfried and Roy, etc.

Fish and I booked a charter bus with and stopped in Vegas along the way.

FH bet a ton on Hawks vs Wash as a fav. Squarest of square , Big Ten fav at Rose bowl.

Hawks lose 28 to 0. Got immediately on the bus for a 48hr trip back, crawling on the interstate in a blizzard.

All you could see of FH car was the antenna

A few years later we moved there at different times.
    and the rest is history. Thanks for the background story

stake1

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    Lock him up....