Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1557

For all you contrarian bettors....

NOBODY.....is touching Carolina and the Browns today. Trust me.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: ChuckyTheGoat

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3388

ON CAR + the number GL

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Stayed away from that game

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13312

Best consensus ever is the contest page

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

LMAO, this site doesn’t know what contrarian means, even when you just consider basic definitions, and not the enhanced versions that my office produces. I wouldn’t expect anyone to know what those are unless I told them. But there’s definitely a misunderstanding of basics.

Chuckie needs some education, and needs it bad. I tried last time when he was picking public NBA teams, horribly publicly sided teams, and for some reason, had them in a contrarian thread and tried calling them contrarian plays.

I was going to contribute to the current contrarian threads, but they’re just threads of posters plays, with just a few real contrarian sides indicated in any of them. Earlier in the week I was going to give some input, but some posters in that thread were saying Baltimore was contrarian.

Not even sure common sense is being used.

Offhand I think stake has been a decent contrarian contributor, but I’ll be honest I don’t look at those threads in much detail anymore because of the misinfo, but even then he listed the Cardinals as contrarian and the many circles that’s a tough sell.

It’s misinformation at best.

I hope posters keep winning on plays they’re contributing, but I don’t think I’m gonna spend too much time clearing up the types of markets they’re actually betting into as opposed to what they think they might be betting into.

For the vast majority, if they’re winning some plays it won’t matter to them.

Good Luck.

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

When it comes to this thread, Cleveland might be considered the contrarian side but not nearly as much as you might think.

Carolina is not contrarian, at least not by very basic definitions but some of my enhanced definitions could put them there. Not sure why someone not from my office will call them contrarian, they’d have to explain that. Although, it should be noted that when it comes to Carolina they have floated in and out of contrarian frames all week.

I suggest everybody ask themselves what contrarian actually means, to them, and then think of a play and see if it actually fits the definition. It’s my belief that posters aren’t thinking of contrarian definitions and then looking for a place to match it; it’s my belief, and there are plenty of examples, that posters are picking plays and then calling them contrarian baselessly.

Something posters should think about.

mackave
    mackave's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8429

KVB sharp

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

I should walk back the Carolina comments a little bit, it would be fair to call them contrarian. I think there’s broad enough definitions here than an average public viewer could fairly say Carolina is contrarian.

I would also walk back the Cleveland comments a bit. From that same public viewer there should be no reason to consider Cleveland a contrarian play. While I might have a classification for them, I believe it simply doesn’t exist in the public sphere.

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

I’m not trying to start some e-fight, or cause undue criticism to any particular posters, except maybe Chucky because he’s a repeat offender (even if he doesn’t know better). I’m just stating what I’ve noticed with the way the word “contrarian” can get thrown around.

I also admit, I’ve worked with and invented the different definitions and statuses of “contrarian” over many years and I may have an awkward expectation, that could perhaps be a little high.

it’s not like everybody’s been in my office all this time.

So if my posts rub anybody the wrong way, especially you horseplayer, that’s not what I mean. In fact it’s respect for you that caused me to walk back some of my statements. I made a specific effort to see where you’re coming from.

asiagambler
    asiagambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30480

Quote Originally Posted by KVB View Post
    LMAO, this site doesn’t know what contrarian means, even when you just consider basic definitions, and not the enhanced versions that my office produces. I wouldn’t expect anyone to know what those are unless I told them. But there’s definitely a misunderstanding of basics.

Chuckie needs some education, and needs it bad. I tried last time when he was picking public NBA teams, horribly publicly sided teams, and for some reason, had them in a contrarian thread and tried calling them contrarian plays.

I was going to contribute to the current contrarian threads, but they’re just threads of posters plays, with just a few real contrarian sides indicated in any of them. Earlier in the week I was going to give some input, but some posters in that thread were saying Baltimore was contrarian.

Not even sure common sense is being used.

Offhand I think stake has been a decent contrarian contributor, but I’ll be honest I don’t look at those threads in much detail anymore because of the misinfo, but even then he listed the Cardinals as contrarian and the many circles that’s a tough sell.

It’s misinformation at best.

I hope posters keep winning on plays they’re contributing, but I don’t think I’m gonna spend too much time clearing up the types of markets they’re actually betting into as opposed to what they think they might be betting into.

For the vast majority, if they’re winning some plays it won’t matter to them.

Good Luck.

Baltimore seemed to be a very popular contrarian pick. Or is that an oxymoron
    Points Awarded:

KVB gave asiagambler 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

veriableodds
    validation not required
    veriableodds's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1967

Ive never bet these but would like to know what type of bet this is
    understand the basics
    con·trar·i·an

[kənˈtre(ə)rēən]

NOUN

contrarian (noun) · contrarians (plural noun)

• a person who opposes or rejects popular opinion, especially in stock exchange dealing:
      "it has become fashionable to be a stock-market contrarian"

ADJECTIVE

contrarian (adjective)

• opposing or rejecting popular opinion; going against current practice:
      "the comment came more from a contrarian disposition than moral conviction"

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

And that's what I mean when I say at the most basic, the definition.

But when we apply it to the sports markets, through rigourous study, we can actually reveal different types of contrarian systems.

I have posted about these in JJ Gold's daily thread in the past as I've run down the days contrarian report, with all the plays and which contrarian strategy they fall under.

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by KVB View Post
    ...But when we apply it to the sports markets, through rigourous study, we can actually reveal different types of contrarian systems...
    My use of the word system here is not to mean a betting system.

What I mean is to break the market and it's participants up into constituent parts and then recoginze that there is an interaction between those parts that make up an entire system, or ecosystem.

I've mentioned the market envorinment many times.

So, as there is a broad system of interaction at work, study also shows there are subsystems, smaller interactions within the market, at play.

That's what I mean by "system" in that post.

There aren't just different types of contrarain plays, there different types of contrarian "systems" associated with those different types of plays.