Bostongambler
    Bostongambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14392

Don Mattingly

Don Mattingly is telling the Marlins today he will be leaving as manager at the end of the year

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

lol he is the worst manager that ever existed MLB

stats do not lie

mcaulay777
    mcaulay777's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16303

Looking at the teams.I was surprised Tory Lovallo was Brought Back. La Russa should not have been named manager anyway but with his medical condition he will be out he should be anyway. Matheny and Black in Colorado should be in trouble can't see Nevin being permanent in La and maybe even the Pirates manager could be out as well I'm just going on the teams not knowing the contract situation. The two Mangers for Toronto and Texas could be named managers for next year.

pologq
    When you are SBR you are SBR 4 Life
    pologq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5971

mattingly might be tired of not having pieces to win with

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 432

Bud Black has been told that he is coming back to Colorado next year. Those guys are extremely loyal to a fault.

mcaulay777

Thanks Mr Klc did not see that was rolling thru the teams trying to make predictions. Watching a lot of Angels games really hope Nevin is not full time!

44 Mag
    44 Mag's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13182

Quote Originally Posted by mcaulay777 View Post
    Looking at the teams.I was surprised Tory Lovallo was Brought Back. La Russa should not have been named manager anyway but with his medical condition he will be out he should be anyway. Matheny and Black in Colorado should be in trouble can't see Nevin being permanent in La and maybe even the Pirates manager could be out as well I'm just going on the teams not knowing the contract situation. The two Mangers for Toronto and Texas could be named managers for next year.
    Too bad the Red Sox have already committed to Cora coming back, he should have been replaced. Actually, in my opinion he should not have been allowed back. Thought MLB didn't want cheaters ??

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

Quote Originally Posted by 44 Mag View Post
    Too bad the Red Sox have already committed to Cora coming back, he should have been replaced. Actually, in my opinion he should not have been allowed back. Thought MLB didn't want cheaters ??
    I agree 100%. Red Sox sold their soul.

pologq
    When you are SBR you are SBR 4 Life
    pologq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5971

mlb doesn't want cheaters unless they can control the narrative and keep it under wraps

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Guy is a dope

Teams have zero energy

Never was clutch as a player either

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32317

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    lol he is the worst manager that ever existed MLB

stats do not lie
    Disagree.

That franchise shouldn't even be a franchise.
    Give it to Las Vegas, or Omaha.

One if the greatest baseball towns in the world is Omaha Nebraska, and if there is one town that deserves a real pro baseball team, with real owners, is Omaha Nebraska.

And I'm serious as a heart attack.

TheLock
    TheLock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7931

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    Disagree.

One if the greatest baseball towns in the world is Omaha Nebraska, and if there is one town that deserves a real pro baseball team, with real owners, is Omaha Nebraska.

They won the World Series in 1997 and 2003 and they made the playoffs in 2020 (and swept the Cubs in the 1st round)

Please don’t come at me with some bs about how they bought their World Series rings. How many WS rings have been bought since then?

Losing Jose Fernandez set them back 3 years.

Here are there starters for 2023:
    Sandy Alcantara
    Pablo Lopez
    Jesus Luzardo
    Edward Cabrera
    With Braxton Garret, Trevor Rogers, Eury Perez and Sixto Sanchez battling it out for the 5th spot (and Max Meyer recovering from Tommy John).

They need bats, obviously.

If you’re gonna send the Marlins to Vegas (or Omaha lol) there are SIX other teams in MLB that are better candidates for that.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by TheLock View Post
    They won the World Series in 1997 and 2003 and they made the playoffs in 2020 (and swept the Cubs in the 1st round)

Please don’t come at me with some bs about how they bought their World Series rings. How many WS rings have been bought since then?

Losing Jose Fernandez set them back 3 years.

Here are there starters for 2023:
    Sandy Alcantara
    Pablo Lopez
    Jesus Luzardo
    Edward Cabrera
    With Braxton Garret, Trevor Rogers, Eury Perez and Sixto Sanchez battling it out for the 5th spot (and Max Meyer recovering from Tommy John).

They need bats, obviously.

If you’re gonna send the Marlins to Vegas (or Omaha lol) there are SIX other teams in MLB that are better candidates for that.

I know what you are saying, how many fans do the draw?
    The venue is a joke, etc.
    It's like management doesn't give a shit, and hasn't for awhile.

And the Diamondbacks too.
    They had a hell of a year when they knocked off the Yanks, fact of the matter is that team in Phoenix has no support, and that management has no direction and has been clueless for years now.

TheLock
    TheLock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7931

How many times have you been to the ballpark in Miami? If you’re saying it’s a joke, I suspect you’ve never attended a game there. Great food, four gigantic parking garages steps away from the ballpark, retractable roof (so it’s 74 degrees inside when it’s raining and 93 degrees outside).

It’s Miami. More people will show up when they add bats and win more. If/when the Heat aren’t winning, they draw terrible, too.

The Marlins don’t need to be moved to Omaha. They need to add bats and they need Jazz Chisholm to stay healthy.

EddieMusher
    Fuggedaboutit!
    EddieMusher's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5443

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by TheLock View Post
    How many times have you been to the ballpark in Miami? If you’re saying it’s a joke, I suspect you’ve never attended a game there. Great food, four gigantic parking garages steps away from the ballpark, retractable roof (so it’s 74 degrees inside when it’s raining and 93 degrees outside).

It’s Miami. More people will show up when they add bats and win more. If/when the Heat aren’t winning, they draw terrible, too.

The Marlins don’t need to be moved to Omaha. They need to add bats and they need Jazz Chisholm to stay healthy.
    Not for nothing I was a huge Jose Fernandez fan.
    Hall of Fame potential.

The one time I saw a home Marlin game the total attendance was barely 10,000.
    It was like watching a game from a mausoleum.

Maybe if there was 40,000 and the game had some meaning, the experience would have been much better.

The food was pretty good, I don't know if it's there anymore but there was a Cuban stand that I tried.
    I love Cuban food.

Later that week I traveled to the Trop, in all fairness, Miami blows the Trop away (pardon the pun)
    The Trop, now that place is a dungeon.

mcaulay777

46 -60 Is good enough to remove interim tag for Phil Nevin another horrible Deshion so The Angels will lose again next year with the Signing of Ohtani and Nevin both for a year it is obvious it will be just status quo for The Angels until a Owner change which cant come soon enough Artie Moreno has stunk!

trobin31
    trobin31's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10371

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    Disagree.

I’m from south Florida and wholeheartedly agree. I was against moving the team way back when & getting the new stadium would change things….but in the end the low socioeconomic community in Miami is just not a good fit. They should’ve built the new stadium in Fort Lauderdale or West palm beach where people can afford to watch games and drink $20 beers

TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3633

Bottom Line is some of the best players can become the worst managers and some of the worst players can become some of the best managers.

Who didn’t love 5 foot nothing Earl Weaver as Orioles manager?

Not all managers can handle certain cities. Cora handles the Boston press very well. Red Sox problem is they have no pitching in the Minors. There is literally nobody coming up for at least three years. It’s the front office that needs to bring some free agent starting pitching into Boston. Don’t shoot the messenger Cora when the owner John Henry cares more about the UK soccer team he owns.

Sledge187
    Sledge187's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5949

Quote Originally Posted by pologq View Post
    mlb doesn't want cheaters unless they can control the narrative and keep it under wraps
    MLB wanted the Astros to pay until they found out the Yankees, Red Sox and Dodgers and 5 other teams were in it deeper than that. SI has a story they've been working on for 5 years that is going to finally show the world how much certain franchises have been cheating at a much higher level for years to win.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoldenGoose View Post
    Who didn’t love 5 foot nothing Earl Weaver as Orioles manager?
    Or Sparky.

Or Billy Martin, you can call Martin pretty much everything in the book, but know this, no manager in the history of the game had a better track record of taking over totally horseshit organizations and turning them into instant winners in two years or less.

Here, don't just take my word for it.
    https://www.baseball-reference.com/m...artibi02.shtml

Joe Torre.
    He gets shit canned in Atlanta, then the Cards take a chance on him.
    He proceeds to get shit canned in the middle of the 1995 season (no fault of his own)

Winter of 1995 Steinbrenner offers Buck a two year extension on the condition he fires his buddy and batting coach Rick Downs, Buck says no, I'm not doing that to George, George and Buck part ways over that (fired)

Steinbrenner, now managerless is scrambling.
    The word is George had a short list of four names he wanted, Joe Torre was on the bottom of that list.
    George's first three preferences all turn him down, cold.
    Only potential hire left was Torre, and took the job in 1996.
    I've been in the NYC tri state area my whole life, I vividly remember the outcry and backlash from that Torre hire.
    The NY Post and NY Daily News were merciless, Michael Kay, the NY Daily News Yankees beat writer and broadcaster called Torre "Loser Joe" (word from Yankees was Torre did not take kindly to that and it got pretty ugly behind closed doors between Kay and Torre)

Pretty much everybody an their puppy dog disapproved of the Torre hire.
    "He can't handle George" they all said.
    "The bright lights and the constant media in NYC will eat Torre alive" they all said.
    And on, and on, and on...

Long story short, Torre and those 1996 Yankees knocked off the favored Braves in the World Series.
    The documented story goes when the Braves took the first two games of the WS at the Stadium yet, Torre went to George's office and told Steinbrenner point blank "not to worry, we'll sweep them down there in Atlanta, come home and wrap it up"
    Steinbrenner, the story goes gives Torre a look like he has four heads.

Sure as shit (if shit can be sure) Yankees win the next four series games, and the rest as they say is history.

Yep, that NYC exposure ate up Torre all right.
    Ask Jeter what he thought about, as he would refer to him only as "Mr. Torre"
    He was like a second dad to Jeter.

slayer14
    slayer14's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6225

If yankees dont at least get to the world series final this year surely Boone has to go, and Mattingly has to come in to replace him where else would Mattingly want to manage it would surely be the yankees his first choice team.

mcaulay777

Phillies have proven to all the teams that have a opening do not consider Girardi.