asiagambler
    asiagambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30492

Why did the Chargers just score a TD ???

asiagambler

I missed the play

Why not take a knee and kick a FG ??

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

Cleveland pushed Ekeler into the endzone

asiagambler

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    Cleveland pushed Ekeler into the endzone
    I guess I'm asking why are you doing anything there except taking a knee ?

Smokey McPot
    Smokey McPot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3863

Really dumb on their part, just take a knee there if you want to drain the clock. Instead they run that stupid play and let the Browns drag the guy into the end zone.

asiagambler

I thought my bet won

Turned channel

Now I lost

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Another bad beat for me this weekend. All The Chargers had to do take a knee and kick the FG and The Browns cover. Unreal.

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24923

Quote Originally Posted by seaborneq View Post
    Another bad beat for me this weekend. All The Chargers had to do take a knee and kick the FG and The Browns cover. Unreal.
    Very tough. How hard is it to beat the #?

asiagambler

This might be the worst bad beat of all time

This is like on Miracle of Meadowlands level

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine
    swordsandtequila's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6494

Fuk that, field goals aren't guaranteed (neither are tds for that matter). Just watch the last five minutes of the Packers/Bengals game for further proof. Score when you can then play some fukn' defense.

And nowhere near a bad beat. That game was back and forth the whole 2nd half.

asiagambler

Quote Originally Posted by swordsandtequila View Post
    Fuk that, field goals aren't guaranteed (neither are tds for that matter). Just watch the last five minutes of the Packers/Bengals game for further proof. Score when you can then play some fukn' defense.

And nowhere near a bad beat. That game was back and forth the whole 2nd half.
    100% a bad beat. Forget Browns were leading/covering for 90% of the game

It was evident Chargers plan was exactly to kick a field goal because Ekeler was instructed to go down on previous play

Field goals aren't guaranteed but it would have been like a 20 yd chip shot which is in line with the old extra point which had around 95% success rate if I'm not mistaken

The only thing left is to take a knee or two and center the ball. Running a play is completely inexplicable to me given what the Chargers' intentions were and why I think it's one of the worst beats of all time. No one can convince me otherwise

asiagambler

Oh and I forgot there were 1:40 left at the time

It's a minor miracle the Browns didn't get a TD afterwards even with no timeouts

It's completely ridiculous to defend the TD just because a FG isn't guaranteed

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24923

Quote Originally Posted by asiagambler View Post
    This might be the worst bad beat of all time

This is like on Miracle of Meadowlands level
    A lot of $$ changed hands. Browns +2.5 really should have hung the #.

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine

Oh and I forgot there were 1:40 left at the time

It's a minor miracle the Browns didn't get a TD afterwards even with no timeouts

It's completely ridiculous to defend the TD just because a FG isn't guaranteed
    Except Cleveland didn't score a td. And they lost. If you think that's one of the worst bad beats of all time I don't know what to tell you. Except maybe you've been extremely fortunate.

CantFeelMyFace
    CantFeelMyFace's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1086

This guy must have forgot the Chargers kicker missed 2 extra points and neither one was close. No way am I trusting that garbage kicker to try to win the game for me.

asiagambler

Quote Originally Posted by swordsandtequila View Post
    Except Cleveland didn't score a td. And they lost. If you think that's one of the worst bad beats of all time I don't know what to tell you. Except maybe you've been extremely fortunate.

So you're not going to address anything else I said ??

Never mind you compared 50yd field goal misses with a literal chip shot

If you asked me what the probability of Browns covering 2.5 right before the Chargers ran that play, I'd say about 99.99% The .01% involves a botched snap or kicker and punter both dying on the field before the kick is ready or the coaching staff inexplicably going against what they originally intended

If you can't understand that and why it's a bad beat then I can't help you anymore

asiagambler

Quote Originally Posted by CantFeelMyFace View Post
    This guy must have forgot the Chargers kicker missed 2 extra points and neither one was close. No way am I trusting that garbage kicker to try to win the game for me.
    Extra points are 33 yards. The field goal would have been from 20 yards

Whether you trusted him is irrelevant. The coaching staff did trust him because their plan was to bleed the clock and kick a FG as time expired. Even Ekeler when he ran the ball did try to go down. It's the fact they decided to run the ball there instead of taking a knee that makes this a bad beat. Hope that helps

CantFeelMyFace
    CantFeelMyFace's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1086

I find it hard to believe they would have run the clock all the way out and kick a field goal with the most atrocious kicker in the league. I have no idea how that guy is on an NFL roster. Pretty sure they were gonna try to run the clock down on 1st and then try to punch it in on 2nd and 3rd down. If that coach puts the game on that kickers foot, he needs his brain examined.

asiagambler

Quote Originally Posted by CantFeelMyFace View Post
    I find it hard to believe they would have run the clock all the way out and kick a field goal with the most atrocious kicker in the league. I have no idea how that guy is on an NFL roster. Pretty sure they were gonna try to run the clock down on 1st and then try to punch it in on 2nd and 3rd down. If that coach puts the game on that kickers foot, he needs his brain examined.
    This is not some new revolutionary strategy. The scenario isn't that common but when it presents itself as it did here, most teams opt to go for kicking it as time expires

We're talking about a 20 yard chip shot. You could be the worst kicker in the world and you're still even on a bad day, over 90% likely to make that kick

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11913

Slurry Pumper
    Slurry Pumper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8796

It was another great moment in gambling history. I had the Chargers -2, and it would have sucked to tie. I'll take a winner, even if that winner reluctantly needs the opposing defense to carry them across the finish line.

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9474

NFL coaching never ceases to amaze. Regardless of what we think he should have done, the coach wanted to drain the clock and kick the FG. The running back could have scored on an earlier play and slid, then on the TD he was trying not to score and got dragged in. So, if you didn't want to score and you're so close to end zone anyways, why even hand it off and risk a fumble/strip?

Quote Originally Posted by Slurry Pumper View Post
    It was another great moment in gambling history. I had the Chargers -2, and it would have sucked to tie. I'll take a winner, even if that winner reluctantly needs the opposing defense to carry them across the finish line.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Slew View Post
    NFL coaching never ceases to amaze. Regardless of what we think he should have done, the coach wanted to drain the clock and kick the FG. The running back could have scored on an earlier play and slid, then on the TD he was trying not to score and got dragged in. So, if you didn't want to score and you're so close to end zone anyways, why even hand it off and risk a fumble/strip?
    Agree. Eckeler was given a directive and he still failed.

Fred The Hammer
    Fred The Hammer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8401

Was it last year on the year before when Todd Gurley ran it in for the Falcons when they were up 1 on Detroit? They could've ran the clock out but Detroit let him walk in and Stafford made up the 8 points at the end and the LIons won in OT

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by Fred The Hammer View Post
    Was it last year on the year before when Todd Gurley ran it in for the Falcons when they were up 1 on Detroit? They could've ran the clock out but Detroit let him walk in and Stafford made up the 8 points at the end and the LIons won in OT
    Yes. That’s what got Dan Quinn fired. Between that and the Dallas onside kick. Arthur Blank. I was watching that game. Matt Stafford was an assassin on that drive.

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine

So you're not going to address anything else I said ??

Never mind you compared 50yd field goal misses with a literal chip shot

If you asked me what the probability of Browns covering 2.5 right before the Chargers ran that play, I'd say about 99.99% The .01% involves a botched snap or kicker and punter both dying on the field before the kick is ready or the coaching staff inexplicably going against what they originally intended

If you can't understand that and why it's a bad beat then I can't help you anymore
    I didn't address what you said because I don't care what you said. At the end of the day settling for fg's bites you in the ass more often than not. Score td's when you can. I'd rather depend on my defense to keep the opponents from driving the length of the field and scoring a td than hoping they don't drive 30-40 yards and kick a game winning fg. Agree to disagree. The only reason this is even an issue is because you lost a bet.

wombat
    wombat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11340

I agree with the OP. You drain the clock down with 3 seconds and kick the winning field goal. How many missed field goals of less than 20 yards has there been this year? I guarantee you it's less than 5%. There's a lot of shock value when you see it missed but you don't see the ones that are made. The reason why Ekeler didn't take a knee is because the NFL has turned into a metrics based sport due to fantasy football etc. More importance is given to metrics versus winning a ball game.

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11186

Refs fukked Cleveland in that game. A 4th and long PI call was one of the worst I've seen in quite some time. The Browns would have won the game if they didn't make that call. Then the refs DID NOT call a PI on the Chargers when Derwin James tackled Higgins on 2nd down, which would have probably allowed Cleveland to run the clock out. Then Stefanski called that 3rd down run play. Good grief that was stupid. The Browns was covering that game for 98% of the game until the refs interjected their bullshit.

texhooper
    texhooper's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7894

Quote Originally Posted by Fred The Hammer View Post
    This was karma biting Gurley in the ass for not punching it in against I think Green Bay when he was with the Rams in like 2018, which would have put them up 2 scores and it would have guaranteed a win, but instead he downed it so they could let the clock expire instead. He was completely alone, easiest touchdown of his life, and he fell on his ass. At the end he said he didn’t care about your fantasy team or gamblers. So fukk him. Look where he is now! Karma is a real mf’r