tmoible
    tmoible's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1486

Cleveland Brown score too early, leave too much time to Raven

I watch the final minute,I think the brown just score too quickly and too fast,time management,u can’t not leave to much time on the o’clock that a over 1minute, it is just too much time if the game is tie and opponents have elite quarterback.You would like to score as less as time on the o’clock.

Eddy Munny
    Eddy Munny's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24950

So what do you suggest?

TheMetsSuck
    TheMetsSuck's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1488

Burn 30 extra seconds on any of the last 10 plays and they probably win in OT. Leaving a minute to get the best fg kicker in history a chance to bury you with a long fg is just dumb. They pick up 15 yards a play with the dumb D these teams play late
    Points Awarded:

Mac4Lyfe gave TheMetsSuck 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Eddy Munny

Quote Originally Posted by TheMetsSuck View Post
    Burn 30 extra seconds on any of the last 10 plays and they probably win in OT. Leaving a minute to get the best fg kicker in history a chance to bury you with a long fg is just dumb. They pick up 15 yards a play with the dumb D these teams play late
    That's all fine and well, but you're speaking from the perspective of hindsight. The number one goal on that possession was for the Brownies to score a touchdown, period. If they don't score a touchdown, nothing else matters. Did you want Kareem Hunt to fall down in the field of play instead of heading towards the end zone? Scoring a touchdown with the game on the line is dicey enough as it is, much less handicapping yourself by striving for yardage but "not too much too fast."

It's not like the Brownies used any timeouts on the drive. And it's not like they had any clue the drive would succeed so quickly. They ran their offense and used tempo to keep the defense off balance. The only timeout on the drive was charged to the Ravens. Of course in a perfect world they would have liked to score with little to no time left on the clock but it just so happened they hit chunk plays. It's not like they would trade them in for a 2 yard runs to milk the clock. It is what it is.

hehfest
    Tom, What do I do now?
    hehfest's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4190

I could see if you only had one timeout left or something, but with 3 timeouts in your hand........burn with one running play make the Ravens use their last timeout. On the other side, you have one of thee best kickers to ever kick in NFL history without a doubt. Tucker is money. Tucker is money from 50-60 yards out even. So, its a no-brainer to me to kill some clock with one running play.

The only thing I could excuse is you had the Ravens D on the ropes and you don't want to lose momentum. However, to me, the Ravens almost let Hunt score because they figured they wouldn't stop them and give Lamar more time to drive for the winning FG.

Inexcusable.
    Points Awarded:

Mac4Lyfe gave hehfest 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

hehfest
    Tom, What do I do now?
    hehfest's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Munny View Post
    That's all fine and well, but you're speaking from the perspective of hindsight. The number one goal on that possession was for the Brownies to score a touchdown, period. If they don't score a touchdown, nothing else matters. Did you want Kareem Hunt to fall down in the field of play instead of heading towards the end zone? Scoring a touchdown with the game on the line is dicey enough as it is, much less handicapping yourself by striving for yardage but "not too much too fast."

It's not like the Brownies used any timeouts on the drive. And it's not like they had any clue the drive would succeed so quickly. They ran their offense and used tempo to keep the defense off balance. The only timeout on the drive was charged to the Ravens. Of course in a perfect world they would have liked to score with little to no time left on the clock but it just so happened they hit chunk plays. It's not like they would trade them in for a 2 yard runs to milk the clock. It is what it is.

Always respect your opinions Eddy, but in this case: this is the NFL (Professional Football). If Alcorn State or Austin Peay is about to pull an upset over Clemson, then yeah sure. The goal should just be to score the TD regardless of the clock because of the matchup. Not in the NFL man. You know better. Lamar and Tucker with 1 minute plus and TO? And you leave 3 TO's in your pocket? Common man.

I still think the guy is a good coach and had beaten expectations with this team for the season as a whole even if they lose out, but this reminds me of Zimmer in Minny and guess what? He was on his staff. Last time I checked Zimmer does not do well with the clock?
    Points Awarded:

Eddy Munny

Quote Originally Posted by hehfest View Post
    Always respect your opinions Eddy, but in this case: this is the NFL (Professional Football). If Alcorn State or Austin Peay is about to pull an upset over Clemson, then yeah sure. The goal should just be to score the TD regardless of the clock because of the matchup. Not in the NFL man. You know better. Lamar and Tucker with 1 minute plus and TO? And you leave 3 TO's in your pocket? Common man.

I still think the guy is a good coach and had beaten expectations with this team for the season as a whole even if they lose out, but this reminds me of Zimmer in Minny and guess what? He was on his staff. Last time I checked Zimmer does not do well with the clock?
    What does leaving timeouts in your pocket have to do with anything? You want the Browns to burn their own timeouts because that will erode the clock? That makes no sense.

Of course they would have preferred to leave less time for Baltimore but when Cleveland got the ball it was already under the 2 minute warning for fukks sake... Do you really expect the Browns' coaching staff to emphasize burning clock at that point? That's absurd. They needed to score, and they needed that score to be touchdown... It happened a lot sooner than anyone, including the Browns, expected, but those are the breaks.

Do you want Donovan Peoples Jones to drop that deep pass on first down? Do you want Kareem Hunt to flop at the 10 yard line instead of plunging towards the pylon? Do you just take 7 points for granted and assume you'll find paydirt regardless of the sequence of plays? It's entirely unrealistic to expect a perfect drive that leads to a tying score while performing the balancing act of simultaneously chewing up clock, especially when you're already under 2 minutes at the start of the drive.

At some point there has to be some accountability on the part of the defense to do their jobs. I had the Browns plus the points so I understand the argument, but I don't agree with it because you're essentially asking to handicap your own offense. At what point does clock consideration become self-sabotage? You can't concede downs and just expect to move the chains at the wave of your hand.

I repeat, the drive started with 1:51 left in the game... It's a two minute drill, not four minute offense.
    Last edited by Eddy Munny; 12-15-20 at 01:49 AM.

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11186

The Browns scored 4 TDS on 5 possessions in the 2nd half. They never had a 3rd down on the last 2. The Ravens could not stop them, neither could the Browns horseshit defense. Run the ball once and the game goes to overtime.
    Stefansky fukked up the 1st half clock management as well. Could have ran the ball once at the half but gave the ball back to the Ravens with a minute left and they scored a TD. Then got the ball back to start the 3rd and scored again. Grade school shit.

Eddy Munny

Quote Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe View Post
    The Browns scored 4 TDS on 5 possessions in the 2nd half. They never had a 3rd down on the last 2. The Ravens could not stop them, neither could the Browns horseshit defense. Run the ball once and the game goes to overtime.
    Stefansky fukked up the 1st half clock management as well. Could have ran the ball once at the half but gave the ball back to the Ravens with a minute left and they scored a TD. Then got the ball back to start the 3rd and scored again. Grade school shit.
    Under two minutes when the drive started... Enough said. Everyone here is playing the game out with hindsight.

Do you really think the Browns' mission statement at the start of the drive was to score in 50 seconds?

You don't concede downs if you think you have better playcalls in the canon. Don't forget, on the previous drive the Brownies had to convert not one, but two, fourth downs in order to get a touchdown. That's playing with fire. That's variance that could swing either way in the longrun. It's not something you take for granted, even in a high scoring game.

Mac4Lyfe

At some point there has to be some accountability on the part of the defense to do their jobs. I had the Browns plus the points so I understand the argument, but I don't agree with it because you're essentially asking to handicap your own offense. At what point does clock consideration become self-sabotage? You can't concede downs and just expect to move the chains at the wave of your hand.

I repeat, the drive started with 1:51 left in the game... It's a two minute drill, not four minute offense.
    They should have ran the ball once on any of the 3 first downs. I would have told my offense to not score unless there’s less than 30 seconds and we at least make the Ravens use a timeout because you just gave up a TD at halftime with a minute left. That defense was not going to stop Baltimore from kicking a FG. Have you seen the Browns defense? I’ve seen them all year and they have the worst LB/DBs in the NFL. Most of the normal starters are hurt. They’re down to 3rd and 4th stringers. Are you really going to hold guys who suck accountable?

Mac4Lyfe

Under two minutes when the drive started... Enough said. Everyone here is playing the game out with hindsight.
    Do you really think the Browns' mission statement at the start of the drive was to score in 50 seconds?
    You don't concede downs if you think you have better playcalls in the canon. Don't forget, on the previous drive the Brownies had to convert not one, but two, fourth downs in order to get a touchdown. That's playing with fire. That's variance that could swing either way in the longrun. It's not something you take for granted, even in a high scoring game.
    Baltimore had 4th downs too but neither defense could get a stop. I said in the game thread that they scored too early. I’d rather lose with my offense trying to score late than have that defense get a stop late. I know better. At least run the ball once. That was stupid shit x2 to end the half too.

Eddy Munny

They should have ran the ball once on any of the 3 first downs. I would have told my offense to not score unless there’s less than 30 seconds and we at least make the Ravens use a timeout because you just gave up a TD at halftime with a minute left. That defense was not going to stop Baltimore from kicking a FG. Have you seen the Browns defense? I’ve seen them all year and they have the worst LB/DBs in the NFL. Most of the normal starters are hurt. They’re down to 3rd and 4th stringers. Are you really going to hold guys who suck accountable?
    Well if you would tell your guys not to score in the 4th quarter of a game you're trailing then you'd usurp Anthony Lynn as the dumbest coach in the league.

Eddy Munny

Baltimore had 4th downs too but neither defense could get a stop. I said in the game thread that they scored too early. I’d rather lose with my offense trying to score late than have that defense get a stop late. I know better. At least run the ball once. That was stupid shit x2 to end the half too.
    I thought they scored too early too. But the point is they scored, and, like I said, no one anticipated the drive ending that quickly. You realize if Hunt was tackled right about where he should have been, the clock would've been rolling and it would've been first and goal? He made a defender miss and then made a beeline for the pylon because that's what players do.

hehfest
    Tom, What do I do now?
    hehfest's Avatar SBR PRO

What does leaving timeouts in your pocket have to do with anything? You want the Browns to burn their own timeouts because that will erode the clock? That makes no sense.

Of course they would have preferred to leave less time for Baltimore but when Cleveland got the ball it was already under the 2 minute warning for fukks sake... Do you really expect the Browns' coaching staff to emphasize burning clock at that point? That's absurd. They needed to score, and they needed that score to be touchdown... It happened a lot sooner than anyone, including the Browns, expected, but those are the breaks.

Do you want Donovan Peoples Jones to drop that deep pass on first down? Do you want Kareem Hunt to flop at the 10 yard line instead of plunging towards the pylon? Do you just take 7 points for granted and assume you'll find paydirt regardless of the sequence of plays? It's entirely unrealistic to expect a perfect drive that leads to a tying score while performing the balancing act of simultaneously chewing up clock, especially when you're already under 2 minutes at the start of the drive.

With 40 seconds left, I will go all out from inside the 20 to score. Leaving them with next to no chance at getting it back down the field with 10-30 seconds left. I'm at their 15-20 with 40 seconds left and 2 timeouts and I can spike the ball if I have to? Fine by me. To me, its a no-brainer.

You use the the clock by running the ball when you were at their 23 yard line before the big play to score. Then you call a timeout. I will take my chances that I've already put up 35 points in this game so far that I will still drive it in to score. If I run the ball from the 23, I can run some clock. It was 1st down. Maybe I hit the run for 5-10 yards because they weren't expecting it. Then, It's 2nd and 5 or 2nd and 2. I make Baltimore use their timeout or I run the clock down to 40 seconds or so and use my own first timeout.

So, 2nd and 4. from the 19. With 40 seconds left and I have 2 timeouts. Am I scared about time? No. Because I can get a 1st down and also spike the ball and stop the clock as well. Time is of NO issue even with 40 seconds left from the 18 yard line now. Again, I've moved the ball ALL game passing too so I'm not worried about making sure I score as fast as possible. It would be far different if this was the 85 Bears Defense and I only scored 3 points in the game so far and I need a TD to tie.

Sorry, man. To me, I would rather take my chances running down the clock and even going for 2 at the end to win it, then leave the opponent 1 minute plus with one timeout and the best FG kicker in maybe the history of the NFL to boot. No thanks.

I just disagree with you on this one Eddy. I can accept that we see this differently. I'm not attempting to go to war over this. LOL.
    Last edited by hehfest; 12-15-20 at 02:53 AM.

hehfest
    Tom, What do I do now?
    hehfest's Avatar SBR PRO

You use the the clock by running the ball when you were at their 23 yard line before the big play to score. Then you call a timeout. I will take my chances that I've already put up 35 points in this game so far that I will still drive it in to score. If I run the ball from the 23, I can run some clock. It was 1st down. Maybe I hit the run for 5-10 yards because they weren't expecting it. Then, It's 2nd and 5 or 2nd and 2. I make Baltimore use their timeout or I run the clock down to 40 seconds or so and use my own first timeout.

So, 2nd and 4. from the 19. With 40 seconds left and I have 2 timeouts. Am I scared about time? No. Because I can get a 1st down and also spike the ball and stop the clock as well. Time is of NO issue even with 40 seconds left from the 18 yard line now. Again, I've moved the ball ALL game passing too so I'm not worried about making sure I score as fast as possible. It would be far different if this was the 85 Bears Defense and I only scored 3 points in the game so far and I need a TD to tie.

Sorry, man. To me, I would rather take my chances running down the clock and even going for 2 at the end to win it, then leave the opponent 1 minute plus with one timeout and the best FG kicker in maybe the history of the NFL to boot. No thanks.

I just disagree with you on this one Eddy. I can accept that we see this differently. I'm not attempting to go to war over this. LOL.

Plus, the fact that Jackson had already put up 40+ points on me and running for 30 yards a clip? It would be different if I were facing Darnold and the Jets. It's all about the game flow Eddy. 70+ points going on 80 tells me my defense is unlikely to stop them if they have time left. Just beyond obvious to me.
    Points Awarded:

Eddy Munny

We basically agree. We both know they left ample time on the clock for a Ravens response. It's plainly obvious that was detrimental in a shootout type of game. There's no mystery in that regard.

Where we disagree is on this notion that the Browns offensive coordinator somehow blew the game. He called the drive to give his players the best chance to score. In the end it was too efficient for their own good, but asking the offense to tap the brakes and expecting a touchdown regardless is overreaching. All it takes is one bad snap, a sack, a holding penalty (or an offensive P.I. as was the case in the first half) and suddenly what looked like easy pickings becomes a mountain of a challenge.

Furthermore, the pass to Hunt was an individual effort play that netted the touchdown, not some overly aggressive playcall. More often than not, he's likely tackled in the field of play and then the clock continues to tick. I mean the whole entire drive was what, four or five plays? Part of the reason it was so successful was that you had the defense on their heels. You can talk about tugging on the reins for clock's sake, but that effectively hampers your offensive rhythm and there's no guarantee you score when you start from your own 25 yard line with less than two mins to go.

I mean if 50 second scoring drives are a foregone conclusion, you could argue it's the special teams coach fault for not allowing the Ravens to return the ensuing kickoff for a touchdown. That would have left about 50 seconds on the clock for the Browns offense to do it all over again.

tmoible

In fact,the ravens also score a little early on the touchdown when they absolutely could eat the o’clock and kick the field goal to win the game,even though the brown still hold 3 time out,I think they still could run the ball as less time to kick the field goal,the NFL is totally different to other sport when come down to last position because you only need is field goal to win the game, even though u have great defense, you still don’t want to leave too much time,if brown a trail by 4to 6,I understand you need to get a touchdown and possibly win the game, but trail by7 the only thing u do is get to overtime,just give a free 3 play to you opponent to make something happen.

pologq
    When you are SBR you are SBR 4 Life
    pologq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5971

so the jist i am getting is teams scoring too fast lol

i think it is all hindsight as mentioned. you take tds as available unless the game is tied and you are trying to burn clock. at some point, your defense has to play like a NFL defense and not the Little Giants. the brows never adjusted properly yesterday.

tmoible

Quote Originally Posted by pologq View Post

i think it is all hindsight as mentioned. you take tds as available unless the game is tied and you are trying to burn clock. at some point, your defense has to play like a NFL defense and not the Little Giants. the brows never adjusted properly yesterday.
    NFL defense is up to the last position ,whenever you have what so ever how great defense you have, remember one thing a field goal could beat u,there is a ton of game like that score too early and than field goal beat you, you could said this is strategy or gamble, but I don’t want to see team could lose by a field goal, just like basketball 3point buzzer beater

tmoible

http://archive.advancedfootballanaly...wn_12.html?m=1
    Just like the other game todd gurley score early but still score, I know different situation, but still hope other team learn about it

Mac4Lyfe

I thought they scored too early too. But the point is they scored, and, like I said, no one anticipated the drive ending that quickly. You realize if Hunt was tackled right about where he should have been, the clock would've been rolling and it would've been first and goal? He made a defender miss and then made a beeline for the pylon because that's what players do.
    The defender let him score. Rewatch the play. Once Hunt caught the ball the defender made zero attempts to tackle him. He actually threw his hands up. The Ravens let him score which was smart.

Mac4Lyfe

I can think of countless times where teams scored too early to end a half or a game and let the other team score in the end.

With this horrible Browns defense which has given up over 500 yards in the 2nd half alone in the last 2 games you have to rethink your options.

pologq
    When you are SBR you are SBR 4 Life
    pologq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5971

i agree the browns should have played it better/smarter.

Eddy Munny

The defender let him score. Rewatch the play. Once Hunt caught the ball the defender made zero attempts to tackle him. He actually threw his hands up. The Ravens let him score which was smart.
    Completely disagree. The defender over-pursued one way and Hunt cutback the other way, which allowed for all that extra yardage. Those kinds of missed tackles happen all the time in football.

There's no chance in hell that the Ravens players were instructed to to surrender a tying touchdown from the 23 yard line. You're letting your confirmation bias morph into borderline delusion.

johnnyvegas13
    johnnyvegas13's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 191

i agree the browns should have played it better/smarter.
    U can always say this about the Browns

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Teams always make that mistake dumb coaches

Mac4Lyfe

Completely disagree. The defender over-pursued one way and Hunt cutback the other way, which allowed for all that extra yardage. Those kinds of missed tackles happen all the time in football.

There's no chance in hell that the Ravens players were instructed to to surrender a tying touchdown from the 23 yard line. You're letting your confirmation bias morph into borderline delusion.
    I’ve watched the replay a dozen times. The defender gave up after Hunt caught the ball. He threw his hands up while Hunt was still running. He could have easily at least tried to pursue him and tackle him on the goal line. What confirmation bias are you talking about? I think the only delusion is you and the Browns coaching staff thinking that leaving a minute on the clock for that shitty defense to make a stop at halftime and at the end of the game. We’re you even watching the game?

Go look up Belichick and how he let the Chiefs score in a game. You are crazy if you don’t think these guys don’t understand analytics. Cleveland’s win probability went down after that TD.

Eddy Munny

I’ve watched the replay a dozen times. The defender gave up after Hunt caught the ball. He threw his hands up while Hunt was still running. He could have easily at least tried to pursue him and tackle him on the goal line. What confirmation bias are you talking about? I think the only delusion is you and the Browns coaching staff thinking that leaving a minute on the clock for that shitty defense to make a stop at halftime and at the end of the game. We’re you even watching the game?

Go look up Belichick and how he let the Chiefs score in a game. You are crazy if you don’t think these guys don’t understand analytics. Cleveland’s win probability went down after that TD.
    Not a chance. The defender took a bad angle and Hunt used his over-pursuit against him. You could put together a weekly compilation tape of similarly missed tackles in the NFL, they're not that uncommon. And if the Ravens were genuinely allowing the score to occur, why was there such a violent collision near the goal line? Why didn't Hunt walk in standing up? It's absurd that you think Ravens coaches would roll out the red carpet from the 23 yard line lol. That's technically not even the red zone for crying out loud.

And I already stated that the Brownies scoring with a minute left on the clock was less than ideal. But not scoring at all is a far worse scenario. As a playcaller, you're not worried about milking the clock until scoring the tying touchdown becomes an imminent reality, and that was right about the time that Cleveland reached the 23 yard line. It's safe to say that at that point the Browns would have been a lot more conscious of the clock in between plays, but we'll never know because they literally scored one play later. You sure as hell aren't going to forgo a chance to get into the end zone when you're down seven. That's all there is to it.

aveeno
    aveeno's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 194

I agree with TMOIBLEEIBEL
    Time management works both ways. We have all seen it countless times and EVERYONE watching that game was thinking the same thing..... They left too much time on the clock.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

And yet NONE of you wagered on the game. Do NOT try to tell me that you did. What a bunch of frauds. All you can do is try to talk a good game and pretend to know what you are talking about, yet NONE of you do. If this were a real betting site all of you would be kicked out of it. I know FOR A FACT that no one in this poor excuse for a sight played one penny on this game and I can prove it. Anyone in here want to challenge me? If you do, you will lose and it will cost you 3000 betpoints.

Eddy Munny

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    And yet NONE of you wagered on the game. Do NOT try to tell me that you did. What a bunch of frauds. All you can do is try to talk a good game and pretend to know what you are talking about, yet NONE of you do. If this were a real betting site all of you would be kicked out of it. I know FOR A FACT that no one in this poor excuse for a sight played one penny on this game and I can prove it. Anyone in here want to challenge me? If you do, you will lose and it will cost you 3000 betpoints.
    I'll bet you 2 betpoints. Challenge accepted.