mr.inpak
    mr.inpak's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 127

nfl overtime rule

team recieves football drives down the field takes 9.59 off the clock kicks field goal as time expires does the team who never had the ball get a chance to tie or win I realize they would if there was time left in overtime I have asked several people and nobody nose the answer

bubba
    bubba's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8458

99.999% sure if clock is on 0, game is over

cobra_king
    cobra_king's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 36693

I have researched this exact question and though the NFL does not have anything explicit in their rules to cover this exact scenario, under no circumstances will they play any more than 10 minutes during the regular season. Therefore my belief is that the team that does kick the FG to go ahead would be considered the winner of the game because the score at the end of all possible time played has one team ahead.

And seeing as the longest drive in NFL history is over 13 minutes long, though not likely, it is possible this scenario will one day play out.

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9450

It almost played out last week in the Indy game. The Colts took about 5 minutes off the clock and were only near the 30-yard line when the WR dropped a short pass for an easy first down at the 25. Unlikely they would have run it all the way out, but they certainly would have gotten it down to 2 minutes or less with 2 more first down with the short passing game.

Quote Originally Posted by cobra_king View Post
    I have researched this exact question and though the NFL does not have anything explicit in their rules to cover this exact scenario, under no circumstances will they play any more than 10 minutes during the regular season. Therefore my belief is that the team that does kick the FG to go ahead would be considered the winner of the game because the score at the end of all possible time played has one team ahead.

And seeing as the longest drive in NFL history is over 13 minutes long, though not likely, it is possible this scenario will one day play out.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Game over without other team getting a possession. If they want to avoid it, make a stop. The "other teams gets a possession if FG on opening drive" rule is only in effect within the 10 minute period. FG on period's final play leaving 0:00 on clock is no longer within period.

thechaoz
    2019 SBRs Toughest Poster
    thechaoz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35902

It's an awful rule. There should be no clock. First team to get TD wins. If a team kicks a FG and other team gets TD, they win. If they tie with a second FG after the first team kicks a FG, it goes to a "kick off" with kickers.

Easy game

mtneer1212
    mtneer1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3369

I have always thought it should be an untimed overtime, with the first team to 4 points wins. One FG wont win it.....

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9450

The NFL must have gotten the question from someone last week, because today the ref said at the start of OT the game also ends if the receiving teams runs the clock out.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Slew View Post
    The NFL must have gotten the question from someone last week, because today the ref said at the start of OT the game also ends if the receiving teams runs the clock out.
    Ref is obviously an SBR member.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Optional

convick
    convick's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3683

I had forgotten that they cut back the time from 15 to 10 minutes. No wonder there’s been a couple ties and there was almost a few others including one today.

There weren’t any ties last year though. Maybe also due to increasing kicker shanks.

mintpicks79
    mintpicks79's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 326

My OT fix idea: each team gets ball At 40 yard . Until winner is decided . Where college starts at 25.