Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1557

Ex Jet Dennis Byrd killed in a car accident.

Inspirational ex-Jet Dennis Byrd killed in car crash
    Posted by Michael David Smith on October 15, 2016, 9:09 PM EDT
    16 Dec 1989: Defensive lineman Dennis Byrd of the New York Jets moves down the field during a game against the Los Angeles Rams at Anaheim Stadium in Anaheim, California. The Rams won the game, 38-14. Mandatory Credit: Mike Powell /Allsport Getty Images

Dennis Byrd, a former Jets defensive lineman best known for battling back from a serious spinal injury and recovering to walk again, has died at the age of 51.

Byrd was killed in a car crash in Claremore, Oklahoma, today. According to Fox 23, Byrd was driving down the highway when his vehicle was struck head on by another vehicle, which had crossed the center line. A 12-year-old passenger in Byrd’s vehicle was hospitalized, as was the 17-year-old boy driving the vehicle that hit Byrd’s vehicle. Byrd was pronounced dead at the scene.

A second-round draft pick of the Jets in 1989, Byrd played four NFL seasons before suffering a serious neck injury in a collision with a teammate. Byrd was paralyzed and his career was over, but after lengthy physical therapy he was able to walk again. At the Jets’ home opener in 1993, Byrd walked to the middle of the field to represent his team in the pregame coin toss, and there he was given the team’s Most Inspirational Player Award, which is now known as the Dennis Byrd Award.

In 2012, when the Jets retired Byrd’s No. 90 jersey, he said that in his retirement from football he had found joy in coaching youth sports and speaking on behalf of people with disabilities.

“I really have loved coaching football and working with kids, talking about the lessons I’ve learned as an athlete and the journey as someone with a disability,” Byrd said then. “Football has always been, for me, a cornerpost of strength and a way to accomplish things in life, whether it’s on the field or just in maintaining a quality of life. All those lessons — dedication, perseverance, teamwork — they all dovetail nicely into living a blessed life.”

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

What bad luck this guy has had terrible story

Bluehorseshoe

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    What bad luck this guy has had terrible story
    To come all the way back and some seventeen yr old kills him.

pokerpro44
    Update your status
    pokerpro44's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1038

i still remember seeing the play that paralyzed him rip dennis byrd.

Bluehorseshoe

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

I was at the game when he was paralyzed as a young kid....just remember the stadium being silent for a long time and grown men looking scared around me

Very sad that he battled back and then is killed like this

RIP

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

It really sucks too for the kids to witness the death, like when Monty Williams's wife dead in a car crash.

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11150

Dammit... Very sad story. RIP. My thoughts and prayers to his family.

spurginobili
    Llano Estacado
    spurginobili's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20517

Tragic...unbelievable

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

THe odds of those two tragic things happening to him were like 5 million to one

Unreal and sad