sam9ball
    Update Status
    sam9ball's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2353

Former Patriots captain Dan Connolly retires

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/former-patriots-captain-dan-connolly-retires--citing-concussion-concerns-134150584.html

Veteran offensive lineman Dan Connolly, a captain of the Super Bowl champion New England Patriots this past season, cited concussion concerns as the primary reason for walking away from football at age 32.
    Announcing his retirement, Connolly told ESPN.com's Mike Reiss, "It's important to me to leave the game healthy. I'm able to be here for my kids and walk away on my own terms. I feel like I got everything I could out of football in playing 10 years, winning a Super Bowl, and playing alongside some truly great players."
    Connolly was diagnosed with five concussions during his football career, including four in eight NFL seasons dating back to 2005, when he originally signed with the Jacksonville Jaguars as an undrafted free agent out of Southeast Missouri State. After being cut from the Jaguars in September 2007, he joined New England's practice squad and ultimately worked his way into a starting role for their last two trips to the Super Bowl.
    The three-year, $9.75 million contract he signed with the Patriots following their 2011 loss to the New York Giants came to a close this season, culminating in a championship ring for the franchise he's started 71 games for over the past seven seasons. Apparently, that helped make the decision to retire a little easier.
    "It definitely played a part in it; helped me sleep better," he added. "I'm more at ease with the decision."
    The 6-foot-4, 311-pound Connolly had several teams interested in his services for the upcoming season, but ultimately chose health over uprooting his family to another city upon weighing options with his wife, per Reiss. The Miami Dolphins, Seattle Seahawks, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Chicago Bears were among the clubs vying for his versatility as a guard and center earlier this offseason, according to the Miami Herald.
    Connolly certainly isn't the first NFL player to retire due to concussion concerns, as 24-year--old San Francisco 49ers linebacker Chris Borland made headlines in March for the very same reason. And the Patriots standout won't be the last, either, reinforcing the league's need to further address the issue.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

I wonder what kind of offers he was getting, I'm sure that was a factor as well.