firekillex
    firekillex's Avatar Become A Pro!

are teaser bets worth it?

i usually just do spread picks and sometimes the total points but ive been reading up on teasers and have started to take some interest. Was just wondering other peoples thoughts on them and if you've had any success doing them. Ive been reading to do 2-3 teams 3-7 point teasers on spread picks. Was thinking San diego -1 then cowboys +10 would be a good place to start maybe?

YouHave2outs
    YouHave2outs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 198

lol at least do chargers -2.5 / dolphins -2.5 if you're considering this route. you can most likely get these lines on a 6 point tease, if not 6.5 at worst. gl.

also do not ask a forum full of degenerates if 'teasers are worth it' if you are expecting serious responses.

firekillex

i just plugged in -1 chargers because it was a 7 point tease and the site i use had them at -8
    but was just wondering about peoples thoughts on teasers, if anybody does them or profits off them, not that bad of a question in my eyes?

I personally see value in doing 2-3 team teasers with an extra 7 points i almost see that being easier then a straight up spread pick. Im still profitable for the year in picking spreads but would like to expand my betting knowledge and strategy thats all. Thanks for the input tho

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

I like SEA & CHI in teasers this week. I love to tease across both 3 & 7 but have to show restraint sometimes.

firekillex

ya im really liking chicago this weekend as well i have them moneyline +120 right now
    i was just thinking about adding in 1 or 2 small teasers on my betsheet every week, I currently just do 3 $50 bets usually 2 spread then a total points bet, maybe im just being greedy but i could see adding in an easy 2 team teaser like your example every week to be profitable in the long run.

OTL
    OTL's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5277

I do very well with 2 team teasers. If I can find two high percentage games to play I'll put them in a teaser together. The extra insurance pays dividends.

firekillex

thats what i was thinking 2 team parlays with high odds of happening already you should basically win 70% of the time, what you have for this weekend? im trying to think of one right now

OTL
    OTL's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5277

Quote Originally Posted by firekillex View Post
    thats what i was thinking 2 team parlays with high odds of happening already you should basically win 70% of the time, what you have for this weekend? im trying to think of one right now
    No idea yet to be honest. I've just started looking at the weekly slate of games.

firekillex

ya true enough I was just looking at a few options right now the top 3 im thinking about are
    san diego -2.5 ( 1.36) odds
    baltimore +6 (1.45) odds
    cleveland +14.5 ( 1.41) odds

i think chargers and cleveland are best 2 right there, still gonna look a bit more before i commit to placing the bet

racer43
    racer43's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1103

teasers are all I do in the NFL. I like teasing the dogs. Last week for example St Louis +9.5. Jacksonville +26.5 and Arizona +9.5 all hit teased by 6 points. The week before Jacksonville +11.5, Detroit +11 and Dallas +7.5. This one I would take a 7 pointer to push Dallas to +14.5 to clear the two touchdown loss. Also like teasing totals... Denver has been a shoe in for these this year. I actually have one going with just Denver overs with two more open spots. I do a $50, 15 team teaser every now and then. Leave open spots for the next week if not enough good looking games on the card on a givin Sunday. Pays $1425 if you can hit all 15. Which I have done a few times over the years. Long story short (too late) yes I think teasers can be profitable if you limit # of games.

ksnooksk
    ksnooksk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 34

Beware of the mighty Jaguars this week.

Noleafclover
    Noleafclover's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3010

Teasers are great, I like to tease reliable touchdown+ favorites over the 7 and 3. That's called the Wong teaser, and is successful longterm (however, books are leery of leaving out the 7.5-9 lines that are the best for those, and many books now charge you an extra 10 juice for crossing the 7 and 3 to try to combat it.

This week I have Den -1 @ Ind, Sea -1 @ Ari (can get at pk, but I had to use 5dimes for funding reasons), and GB -3 v CLE w SF +3 @ Ten. Though to be truthful I'm not that happy about GB -3.

Remeber with a teaser leg you typically need to hit 71-75% to break even, depending on how many points you bought. So they can definitely look better than they are. GL

UntalentedMrRoto
    UntalentedMrRoto's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

ya true enough I was just looking at a few options right now the top 3 im thinking about are
    san diego -2.5 ( 1.36) odds
    baltimore +6 (1.45) odds
    cleveland +14.5 ( 1.41) odds

i think chargers and cleveland are best 2 right there, still gonna look a bit more before i commit to placing the bet
    I too am new at teasers and have been doing well so far 4-5. I see pros and cons . you would win more $$ if you just picked the winners at their current spreads. But I like the fact that teasers are kind of like insurance policies.

Of those three I like your cle +14.5. I will play that. I'm going to look elsewhere for the other plays though lol

dirtycash66
    dirtycash66's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18610

teaser look good on paper until the game starts.... but i still love em

Noleafclover

Quote Originally Posted by UntalentedMrRoto View Post
    I too am new at teasers and have been doing well so far 4-5. I see pros and cons . you would win more $$ if you just picked the winners at their current spreads. But I like the fact that teasers are kind of like insurance policies.

Of those three I like your cle +14.5. I will play that. I'm going to look elsewhere for the other plays though lol
    it'd be cle +16-17.

UntalentedMrRoto
    UntalentedMrRoto's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Quote Originally Posted by Noleafclover View Post
    it'd be cle +16-17.
    I was going off OPs post sorry. I liked Cleveland +10 anyways. You think its worth teasing?

firekillex

I was just looking around my betting site and it lets you tease any amount of points you want on the spread, so i thought id just put it at +14.5 for the browns game since I personally dont see them losing by more then 2 tds. Im still looking around today trying to figure out my ideal 2 team teaser, I was thinking about a 3 team but i wanna go safe for my first try and just do a 2 teamer. I like that Wong theory as well but I think for this week im going with the dogs Browns +14.5 with Ravens +8 ?

mcgeezer1883
    mcgeezer1883's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1981

The trick to teasers is to never pick more then three teams. Two team 6 point teasers pay the same as a straight bet with most books at -110. You need to look for lines with dogs at +2.5 to +3.5 or favs at -7.5 to -8.5.

teasing these types of spreads crosses the critical numbers 3 and 7 which are the most common margins of victory in NFL games. Do not ever tease a favorite past zero into + numbers

You can also get -110 for a 3 team sweetheart teaser that allows you to get 10 points, only drawback is having to pick one more game.

sweetheart teasers are effective on weak point totals, and also on dogs of more then a touchdown.

Anything more then 3 teams is a sucker bet

mcgeezer1883

A great NFL two team teaser right now is KC teased to a pick and Carolina to a pick as well.

Both strong home favorites and when teased, your basically making them a money line pick at only -110

mcgeezer1883

A strong 3 team 10 point sweetheart as of now would be

GB to a pick
    chicago to +10
    Baltimore to +13

mikeya2k
    penetrate
    mikeya2k's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2313

Ive been getting smoked on teasers.

firekillex

mcgeezer thanks a lot for the input, on your method ive come up with these 2 teasers for the weekend, what do you think :

Cleveland +14.5 over Green Bay
    Dallas + 7.5 over Eagles
    pays out 1.92 odds

then for 2nd teaser:
    Kansas City -2.5 over Texans
    Denver -2.5 over Colts
    pays out 2x

mcgeezer1883

mcgeezer thanks a lot for the input, on your method ive come up with these 2 teasers for the weekend, what do you think :

Cleveland +14.5 over Green Bay
    Dallas + 7.5 over Eagles
    pays out 1.92 odds

then for 2nd teaser:
    Kansas City -2.5 over Texans
    Denver -2.5 over Colts
    pays out 2x
    What book are you using? Your lines are really high....Denver and KC are both at -6 and looks like you're getting -8.5, which is an absolute ripoff. Or are you doing 4 points?

Cleveland will be hit or miss....you have the half point to protect you, but the game is in Green Bay and Weeden is absolute garbage. I like packers teased to a pick honestly

the rest are good....but I think Carolina is still a very strong 6 point teaser play

if you do 10 point, Chicago should be on it. +10 against Washington is definitely worthwhile.
    Last edited by mcgeezer1883; 10-17-13 at 05:47 PM.

Mako-SBR
    Mako-SBR's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3262

No on teasers besides just a small "fun" add to normal bets.

First off, the average payout sucks at 10/14 for a 2-teamer. Worse, even if you can pick your single teased legs at an 80% accuracy rate each (which is hard to do consistently), the probability that both 80% legs will go your way in a single teaser falls to just 62%...

Just real real hard to get +EV with these, have to use books with higher then normal payouts, and have to be so sharp with the picks that it rarely seems worth the effort.

firekillex

Mcgeezer im using bet365 was just teasing it at 4 points so id get a better payout
    I know what you mean concerning the browns games, I think they will lose but i dont see them losing by over 2 touchdowns with there defense, plus some injuries to green bay i could see this being a really close game
    I see how carolina could have value but there a kind of team that always goes up and down, I dont personally watch them or the rams to much so i dont feel great about laying that in the teaser.

the other option i was thinking instead of browns could be ravens at +3.5 I see them winning this game straight up but if they lose i dont it by being by more then a fg. Cowboys +7.5/ Ravens +3.5 = 2.1 payout
    Last edited by firekillex; 10-17-13 at 07:50 PM.

Noleafclover

Quote Originally Posted by UntalentedMrRoto View Post
    I was going off OPs post sorry. I liked Cleveland +10 anyways. You think its worth teasing?
    Not 6-7 points, the 12 and 15 are some of the lower hitting on push charts. If so you should probably try to find a book where you can do what OP did and get +14/+14.5. I actually teased GB to -3, though I'm not the happiest with that leg, with all the injuries. Still think it hits about 75%, but there's no profit there, just a push.

joco
    joco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8045

I'm 4/4 on my last 2 weeks teasers. I do 10 point teases usually only dogs.

this Sunday I'm teasing jags and ravens for sure. Dunno what else yet

Time is Money
    Time is Money's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6389

Quote Originally Posted by joco View Post
    I'm 4/4 on my last 2 weeks teasers. I do 10 point teases usually only dogs.

this Sunday I'm teasing jags and ravens for sure. Dunno what else yet
    Packers straight up.

racer43
    racer43's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1103

Quote Originally Posted by mcgeezer1883 View Post

Do not ever tease a favorite past zero into + numbers
    Can you explain to me why that is? Or are you just repeating what you have been told??

For example

1. 10/20/2013 1:00 PM NFL Football 397 New England Patriots* +3½ vs New York Jets
    2. 10/20/2013 4:05 PM NFL Football 415 San Francisco 49ers* +3½ vs Tennessee Titans
    Risking $30.00 To Win $25.00

opposed to

1. 10/20/2013 1:00 PM NFL Football 398 New York Jets* +10½ vs New England Patriots
    2. 10/20/2013 4:05 PM NFL Football 416 Tennessee Titans* +10½ vs San Francisco 49ers
    Risking $30.00 To Win $25.00

I don't know Im asking??

In my mind, if either fav loses it will be by a late FG and either fav could blow out the other by a more than 10....

These are just examples to help with this "dont cross zero rule" not my picks

calven
    calven's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 174

I have been told by several intelligent sportsbettors that this is how many pros like to bet. Taking the underdogs at home is very prudent. Although most pros don't tease pts, I teased Jacksonville @+28.5 pts (4 td's) last week. I also teased Cleveland to +14.5 pts (2 td's) this week. You definitely need to pick your spots with these since they usually book at -150-200. Hitting a high % is key...

I also haven't started to fade the public on Denver yet, but I think the obsession with DEN by the public is an opportunity to fade. They bid up the pt spreads too high every week. Denver is a solid team, but expectations get too high.

Quote Originally Posted by racer43 View Post
    teasers are all I do in the NFL. I like teasing the dogs. Last week for example St Louis +9.5. Jacksonville +26.5 and Arizona +9.5 all hit teased by 6 points. The week before Jacksonville +11.5, Detroit +11 and Dallas +7.5. This one I would take a 7 pointer to push Dallas to +14.5 to clear the two touchdown loss. Also like teasing totals... Denver has been a shoe in for these this year. I actually have one going with just Denver overs with two more open spots. I do a $50, 15 team teaser every now and then. Leave open spots for the next week if not enough good looking games on the card on a givin Sunday. Pays $1425 if you can hit all 15. Which I have done a few times over the years. Long story short (too late) yes I think teasers can be profitable if you limit # of games.

mcgeezer1883

Teasing past zero on favorites gives you little value....it's hard to cross key numbers on the plus side unless u do a large point number

teasing a -4.5 fav to +1.5 .....think about that? Does that make sense?

firekillex

I understand the topic upon not crossing 0's while fading, it does make a lot of sense and I tend to agree.

but locked in my 2 teasers for the weekend today, well how it works out and BOL to all

Baltimore +3.5
    Dallas +7.5
    --------------
    Kansas City -2.5
    Denver -2.5

mcgeezer1883

I understand the topic upon not crossing 0's while fading, it does make a lot of sense and I tend to agree.

but locked in my 2 teasers for the weekend today, well how it works out and BOL to all

Baltimore +3.5
    Dallas +7.5
    --------------
    Kansas City -2.5
    Denver -2.5

KC and Denver looks good....best of luck

U should consider using bookmaker....always has better lines. And I always keep a little $ in bovada to play dogs with because bovada is notoriously always 1 to 1.5 points higher on every line due to the huge amount of square action on their site. Why not get an extra point on a dog for nothing, right?

firekillex

well just ignore the other 2 picks... haha just kidding but thanks a lot for the input man
    and ya ill have to check it out, i honestly just signed up at bet 365 because you get a 100% bonus return up to $200 with only 3x rollover which is pretty good in my eyes. Once i can receive that i was thinking about using pinnacle, that site has great lines and juice usually.

but best of luck on your weekend, lets win some $$