daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

What is it with football coaches

Most of these guys are brilliant football minds. They have been in the game most of their lives and are great at motivating and teaching players the game and scheming up gameplans. But when it comes to game management and game theory these guys are no better than a teenager playing XBox. Very few seem to manage the clock well. Their timeout management is terrible. Their challenge management is even worse. Why challenge something like a spot of the ball or whether or not a guy stepped out of bounds on 2nd down a little earlier early on in the half when something much more consequential could come up later? Green Bay got burned by this in Minnesota a few weeks ago. Guys like Les Miles and Andy Reid call timeouts to set up calling more time outs. There are some exceptions but it sure seems the vast majority of them stink at game management.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

not bright people overall, cant think quickly on their feet.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

It baffles me, some of the stuff certain coaches do. Throwing the challenge flag on an automatic review comes to mind...

Another thing that has always bothered me is icing the kicker. Does this ever work? Look how it worked out for Carroll.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

I wouldn't call a football coach a brilliant mind. Most of them have no college education.

slacker00

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    I wouldn't call a football coach a brilliant mind. Most of them have no college education.
    Can you name one NFL head coach with no college education?

ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9800

maybe they arent' really good at the other things as well. Alot of times the players make them look good. Most of these coaches are too old school taught by old school.

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Quote Originally Posted by slacker00 View Post
    Lets be honest....they walk away with an "education"...but some of those degrees like International Relations, Undeclared Major, Cinema Appreciation, etc. aren't exactly brain splitters. A small percentage of the players who walk away with their degrees will actually put them to good use, or even remember what they took during their time in college.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Quote Originally Posted by slacker00 View Post
    Graduating with a degree in General Studies while playing football is not considered college education.

slacker00

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Graduating with a degree in General Studies while playing football is not considered college education.
    Name one NFL coach with a degree in "General Studies".