Mark Sanchez will need to step it up this week against the Houston Texans.

For all the criticism and second-guessing that Mark Sanchez has endured through the years, his biggest challenge begins on a national stage Monday night with a no-name supporting cast.

Sanchez’s mission, should he choose to accept it, isn’t impossible against the undefeated Houston Texans.

It just feels that way.

Santonio Holmes, the Jets’ most dynamic offensive player, is gone for the season. Dustin Keller, a security blanket for Sanchez, and rookie speedster Stephen Hill aren’t expected to play with hamstring injuries. The Jets’ once-proud running game has been M.I.A. through the first month of the season.

So, can Sanchez elevate the play of the middling talent around him?

“Mark can do that,” said running back Joe McKnight, who was Sanchez’s teammate in college. “When he was the starting quarterback at USC, he did it. We didn’t have a big receiver. He (hasn’t had a lot of big-name receivers) in four years here. He’s a leader to make other guys step up and play better.”

Sanchez, of course, needs to safeguard against trying to be Superman on game day.

“I think there’s a fine line,” Sanchez said. “You want to be your best, but at the same time, (if) you try and do too much, you could get into a little trouble. Stay within the system and let the offense work for you, count on these guys to get open, and they’ll count on me to deliver the football.”

Holmes’ and Hill’s absences leave Sanchez with four relatively obscure wide receivers (Chaz Schilens, Jeremy Kerley, Jason Hill and Clyde Gates) who have totaled 34 career starts and 18 touchdowns. The Texans lead the league in scoring defense, total defense and third-down defense and entered the week second in pass defense.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...#ixzz28k8W27mA