sweep's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2457

NOTHING wrong with NYG/Tampa last play

PLAY TIL THE FINAL WHISTLE!

Coughlin being a baby here

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3376

Agree, but usually you do not see a team being that aggressive on a play where the QB is taking a knee. Didn't look as if the NYG O-Line was prepared for that. Might be unwritten rule in the NFL, not sure.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Agree because it was 7-point game. I'd have a BIG problem with it if it was more than a one possession game, but it wasn't and Bucs were trying to force another Miracle in the Meadowlands. It is the Giants' fault for not being ready.

dj_destroyer
    I'm +EV
    dj_destroyer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 383

Video link please

bruceBRUCEbruce
    bruceBRUCEbruce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1959

play to the final whistle, eh?

why did TB quit just a few minutes earlier and let the Giants walk in for a TD? seems fairly inconsistent...

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by bruceBRUCEbruce View Post
    play to the final whistle, eh?

why did TB quit just a few minutes earlier and let the Giants walk in for a TD? seems fairly inconsistent...
    No that was good strategy. Not the same thing.

bruceBRUCEbruce

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    No that was good strategy. Not the same thing.
    I totally disagree. A million more things can go wrong in that situation where the Giants still need to score to break the tie and are on the 10 yard line as opposed to a kneel down with less than 10 seconds left.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Nothing wrong with the play.

Microphone
    The Voice of SBR
    Microphone's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 15793

Quote Originally Posted by dj_destroyer View Post
    Video link please

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMmKHz4DHGc

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by bruceBRUCEbruce View Post
    I totally disagree. A million more things can go wrong in that situation where the Giants still need to score to break the tie and are on the 10 yard line as opposed to a kneel down with less than 10 seconds left.
    Letting them score probably gave Tampa Bay its best chance of winning. Otherwise Giants would have bled the clock. Whether you agree with it or not, it was a strategic move, so not the same thing we are talking about regarding the final play.

Boner_18
    Update your status
    Boner_18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1031

Nothing illegal and therefore no biggy. However they did NOT play the same way when they were leading and NYG took a knee before the half. The inconsistency is either evidence of lying and making excuses for what is fairly considered cheap play or just bad play/coaching. Cant have it both ways.

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by Boner_18 View Post
    Nothing illegal and therefore no biggy. However they did NOT play the same way when they were leading and NYG took a knee before the half. The inconsistency is either evidence of lying and making excuses for what is fairly considered cheap play or just bad play/coaching. Cant have it both ways.
    But that makes perfect sense though, no need to get aggressive right before half with the lead. On the game's final play, they were just trying to win the game (force fumble). I have no problem with either play.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Way wrong

95% agree with me

Boner_18
    Update your status
    Boner_18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1031

That presupposes the Giant comeback. Sitting pretty when you are in the lead is either 1) inconsistent with their justification or 2) poor coaching/play. But it can't be both.

7pts with the lead at the half are probably worth MORE than 7pts to tie it with seconds left.

CanuckG
    CanuckG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 584

He was taking a knee wtf is Tampa expecting to do rip the ball out of his hands
    Points Awarded:

BiTeMe UsAdOj gave CanuckG 3 SBR Point(s) for this post.

luckythansmart
    luckythansmart's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 282

so I guess running up the score is ok also since it helps on tie breakers at the end of the season. It was bush league. It is not college foot. NFL coaches do not run up the score. They respect each other and take defeat like a man. It will be remembered.
    Last edited by luckythansmart; 09-17-12 at 11:41 AM.
    Points Awarded:

BiTeMe UsAdOj gave luckythansmart 3 SBR Point(s) for this post.

bruceBRUCEbruce

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    Letting them score probably gave Tampa Bay its best chance of winning. Otherwise Giants would have bled the clock. Whether you agree with it or not, it was a strategic move, so not the same thing we are talking about regarding the final play.
    maybe...but maybe not-no one has ever fumbled a kneel-down, and we all know many prominent examples of chip shot/sure thing field goal attempts going horribly wrong at the end of games.

they were both strategic plays...just applied inconsistently-which I have no problem with, as situations change rapidly in the NFL, but I do find it curious that a coach who allows the other team to score, conceding the execution of a potentially winning field goal, then tries a bush-league move like this. It doesn't jive, IMO.

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckG View Post
    He was taking a knee wtf is Tampa expecting to do rip the ball out of his hands
    Actually, YEAH, they were trying to force a fumble in a 7-point game.

Parligod
    Parligod's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1760

I'm for playing the game til the whistle blows. I enjoy sports where competitors give it their all until the game is over. If the Giants were up by more than 7 it would be pointless, but if its 1 score away there's always a chance and I'm not going to criticize a team for trying til the end.

flocko76
    flocko76's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3316

I think at the end of the Baltimore?eagles game, baltimore had 2 timeouts with 50 seconds left and vick just took 2 knees. that was only a 1 point lead.

CanuckG
    CanuckG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 584

Quote Originally Posted by flocko76 View Post
    I think at the end of the Baltimore?eagles game, baltimore had 2 timeouts with 50 seconds left and vick just took 2 knees. that was only a 1 point lead.
    Well it would of been pointless to use 2 timeouts...

Parligod
    Parligod's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1760

Quote Originally Posted by flocko76 View Post
    When the higher scoring team has possession and there's less than 2 minutes left both sides often just let time run out. The issue is whether the "losing" side should abide by the "unwritten rule," and I say it's up to them. Is the game over? Very likely, but all will agree we've seen some crazy things happen in sports before. Is the losing side entitled to play out the game? Absolutely. If the "winning" team isn't prepared that's their own damned fault. The game is on as long as that clock is ticking, so be ready.

altieriflyers
    Rosamund
    altieriflyers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7788

Quote Originally Posted by Parligod View Post
    I'm for playing the game til the whistle blows. I enjoy sports where competitors give it their all until the game is over. If the Giants were up by more than 7 it would be pointless, but if its 1 score away there's always a chance and I'm not going to criticize a team for trying til the end.

“I don't know if that's not something that's done in the National Football League," Schiano said. "What I do with our football team is that we fight until they tell us game over. And there's nothing dirty about it, there's nothing illegal about it. We crowd the ball like a sneak defense and try to knock it loose. There's nothing…if people watched Rutgers, they would know that's what we do at the end of a game. We're not going to quit, that's just the way I coach and teach our players. If some people are upset about it, that's just the way it goes. I don't have any hesitation. That's the way we play. We play clean, hard football until they tell us the game is over."

LT Profits

And let's think about this....SUPPOSE when the center got pushed back into Manning, THAT jarred the ball loose before Manning can go to a knee and the Bucs picked it up and scored. Would Tampa Bay be criticized then for being "chippy" or would they be praised for not giving up? Again, in my mind, as long as it is a one-possession game, I agree 100% with what Schiano said. Now if it was a nine-point lead, then of course it would be dirty, but then again, the Bucs probably would not have done it either.

bruceBRUCEbruce

Quote Originally Posted by altieriflyers View Post

“I don't know if that's not something that's done in the National Football League," Schiano said. "What I do with our football team is that we fight until they tell us game over."
    except when they lay down and let the other team score a touchdown.

altieriflyers
    Rosamund
    altieriflyers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7788

Absolutely correct LT.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

Tommy C owes Greg S an apology...

LT Im with 100%

luckythansmart
    luckythansmart's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 282

Greg S was a college coach where those type of plays are common. In the NFL when teams concedes the other coach respects it especailly on kneel downs. Even with scoring, when the leading teams has the ball and the game almost over, the leading team would kneel if they are inside the 5 yard line why because of mutual respect but in college they would still run up the score. I bet now that other teams saw this, they will run up the score just to show Greg S what it s/b to be an NFL coach (NFL coach fraternity). I bet you $ to donuts, Greg S won't do it again.

ericool007
    ericool007's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3953

I always wondered why more teams didnt attack the center when the winning team is up by only 1 score and trying to kneel it. IMO if i had time outs i would keep using them and try to blow up the center and cause a fumble. You dont respect them kneeling it unless its 2score+ lead.

Jimmy0607
    Jimmy0607's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 285

Exactly, football is becoming such a bitch sport, If I am losing by only one score , I would definitely do what the Bucs did , I remember a few years back in a bowl game , Middle Tennessee St. did the same and the QB fumbled , and I always wondered why teams never do that ... Fukk Coughlin

Jimmy0607
    Jimmy0607's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 285

NFL Coach fraternity? Fukk that , he's trying to win the game not make friends with other coaches

allabout the $$$
    Update your status
    allabout the $$$'s Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 26835

Quote Originally Posted by luckythansmart View Post
    Even with scoring, when the leading teams has the ball and the game almost over, the leading team would kneel if they are inside the 5 yard line why because of mutual respect but in college they would still run up the score. I bet now that other teams saw this, they will run up the score just to show Greg S what it s/b to be an NFL coach (NFL coach fraternity). I bet you $ to donuts, Greg S won't do it again.
    are you kidding me???? i guess you have never seen belicheck or payton just last year running up scores.