bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

2006 Green Bay Packers Breakdown

Mike McCarthy heads to the land of Cheese-heads to take over a Packers team trying to reclaim the glory of the past. Unfortunitely for McCarthy, the Packers are old and don’t have alot of explosive talent on the field. Even worse, McCarthy is going to be tasked with handling the touchy, sensitive Brett Favre “watch”. It’s been done before - Jerry Jones fired Tom Landry, Jimmy Johnson forced Dan Marino out. Jones is a great owner and Johnson had 2 Super Bowl rings when he arrived in Miami. The resume of McCarthy is not that strong so it should be interesting to see how it is handled. All of this could be avoided, of course, if the Packers go out and win ball games.

Team Strengths:
    The Packers went defense in the draft, nabbing A.J. Hawk from Ohio State with the #5 pick. They then dove into free agency and grabbed Charles Woodson to pair with Al Harris. When healthy Woodson is as good as they come, and Harris is an above average #2 guy. Together the Packers will be able to play press coverage on the outside enabling the Packers to play run first. The Linebackers should be fun to watch, with Hawk and rookie Abdul Hodge from Iowa, along with Nick Barnett. The Packers are a little young and inexperienced along the D-Line, but do have KGB(Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila). Overall the Packers will play aggressive, in your face defense that will give opponents trouble.

Team Weaknesses:
    As good as the defense looks, it’s the offense that will be the achilles’ heel of the Pack. There is no doubt that Favre is a Hall of Famer, but like a power pitcher that has to adjust the way he pitches as he gets older Favre needs to adjust the way he plays quarterback. He isn’t the same Favre that was winning 3 straight MVP awards a decade ago. Coach McCarthy has done a good job of getting in Favre’s face right from the start. After a recent scrimmage that included 5 Favre INT’s, McCarthy proclaimed to the press that 3 of the picks were unacceptable. I haven’t heard anything like this in Green Bay since very early in Mike Holmgren’s tenure. Problem is there isn’t a whole lot of talent around Favre on offense. Ahman Green is still coming back from a ruptured quad and has yet to practice. Jevon Walker was traded to Denver in the offseason leaving Donald Driver and Robert Ferguson as the lead wide-outs. The Offensive Line is also a big question mark heading into the season.

2006 Packers Schedule:

Chicago
    New Orleans
    @Detroit
    @Philadelphia
    St. Louis
    @Miami
    Arizona
    @Buffalo
    @Minnesota
    New England
    @Seattle
    NY Jets
    @San Francisco
    Detroit
    Minnesota
    @Chicago

How does that saying go? You can’t teach an old dog new tricks. That’s Brett Favre in a nutshell. He has played the “gunslinger” so often it’s hard to imagine him in another role. Few times can you look at a team and realistically see two dramatically different outcomes. On one hand, Favre could make one last run, a cinderella story similar to John Elway. Elway, if you remember, rode the back of Terrell Davis and a stout defense on the way to Back-to-Back titles to end his career. Favre doesn’t have that kind of team around him, but needs to take the same approach. He needs to step aside and let his teammates carry him. If he does, the Pack have a chance. If he doesn’t, well, it could get ugly. My projection for the Packers this year is 5-11

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

I'd say it's almost a lock now that Abdul Hodge will NOT start... The biggest issue is because Barnett is not going to move from MLB, and Abdul Hodge is a middle-backer (and a very strong prospect there). That MIGHT change, but it's about 90% unlikely, at least according the GB's staff.

The linebacking corps ARE up a touch (the 'departed/cut' N'ail Diggs was ALWAYS hurt and *surprise* is already day to day down in Carolina, Paris Lenon, the stiff, is gone... Sheesh, everyone but Barnett is gone, other than 'the man' Brady Poppinga) - but Hawk is still very young (easy to watch, just watching him play every down in a pre-season game) and Barnett has trouble reading what hole to fill, STILL! That's a major concern against the run...
    That point couples into Woodson/Harris.
    Harris is a 'serviceable' #1 and an elite #2 and Woodson looks old and hobbled, but he's improving his conditioning. Green Bay has been playing press on the corners now for the past couple of years, mostly, due to having no one on the O line to stop them other than Grady Jackson (who played maybe 1/2 the games due to injury - he's now in Atlanta *phew*)... So, I'd be carefull in talking about GB stopping the run. Additionally, their safties are NOT '8th man in the box' type of guys, they are coverage players. Their smartest move would be to move Barnett already to the weakside... But it isn't going to happen due to senority.

Also, I have to highly disagree with the point about Favre and comparisons to Jimmy Johnson/Marino and Jerry Jones/Tom Landry. M3 (as the Packer nation calls him-or McCarthy, if you prefer), has only 1 thing on his resume that makes a Packer fan believe, and that's that he is friends with Favre (more like, an acquaintence of years ago, or former kinda-coach). It's insulting to Jimmy and Jerry even mentioning that.

I will say, on that point, however, that Favre has NOT been playing in a system comparible to his MVP years since Holmgren left. Also, his accountability to the coach has become 0 since that happened. M3's system is VERY Holmgrenesque (I hope he takes Sherman's Power/Counter running game system, it's bloody brilliant with an elite tailback, when healthy, like Ahman Green).

Just watching Green Bay's passing game in pre-season and following the close beat-writers of the Pack, you get the sense that Favre and his 'rocket ball shit' will be curtailed quite a bit this year. Also, M3 is going after Brett more than Sherman did. When the season starts, anything can happen, but if Brett just slings and slings, the Pack will win maybe 3 games this year.... That's VERY clear.

The Packers are a team that is rebuilding. They'll have anywhere from 15 to 25 1st or 2nd year players at WORST on their 45 man roster. That's pretty scary as a bettor.

Also, Robert Ferguson flat out stinks as a receiver. Not even Brett has made him good (ala so many before him).

The HUGE X-factors for GB are these:
    #1 - the 'rook Jennings looks to be a serious complement to Donald Driver - that would make Favre 2x as good, as he needs a SOLID 2nd option, which he hasn't had, aside from Javon's breakout year, in 5+ years.
    #2 - Ahman Green. Now, Ahman Green's health/fitness ties into the offensive line. If they are 'manageable', Ahman can run for 1500 yards. If they stink, well, GB will, also.
    Green has been the 'real' reason GB has had a chance the past 5+ years while Favre has been throwing picks ad naseum. Even Favre admits that. I think the present staff gives them an exponential chance and being 'good' compared to the last one... Not to say Sherman was a bad coach. He's excellent except for one thing: He can't handle a Legend like Favre...

At any rate, your 5-11 record, BBD, seems rather accurate. GB got blown out only 2x last year and lost by less than a touchdown the rest of the way. That's sick - they won 4 and almost out-scored their opponents.

I'd say, if you were going to over/under 5 wins for GB, wait to see Ahman Green play, if he does at all in pre-season, sheesh. But likely, this is a 3-4 win team, even though Brett is still probably a top 5 QB or better if he doesn't decide to throw everything 80 yards into quadrouple coverage...
    Also, their defense is bottom 5 in the NFL. Outside of GB's top 3 corners and SS, there are 0 playmakers on that side of the ball. The rest is potential that is un-filled at the moment. Hawk has shown something in the games so far, but he's struggled in practice a LOT.

Even as a Packer fan, I still would take the under on 5 wins... But in that division, it's hard to say. I think all 4 teams aren't very good, other than the Bear's D... But they will not be as good as last year.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Favre is intercepted so often because he throws uncatchable bullet passes. When the ball bounces off the receiver's hands it lands with a nice bow into the opponent's hands. If a good QB makes the ball easy to catch, Favre is nowhere near good. He should have quit.

Zikaris
    Zikaris's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

They don't have an O-line and old man Farve is back. I wouldn't be to suprised if they went 0-16 but I'm sure they'll steal 1 or 2 from bad teams.

McBa1n
    Update your status

It's official:
    "The Packers now have 14 rookies, three first-year players and 10 second-year players, meaning 27 players - over half their 53-man roster - has less than two years of NFL experience."

Take the under and do it quick! This team reminds me of the Titans with a healthy McNair last year... Horrible, but dangerous. It's hard fading a great QB even on a crappy team.

Brick Tamland
    Brick House!
    Brick Tamland's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 36

Quote Originally Posted by McBa1n
    It's official:
    "The Packers now have 14 rookies, three first-year players and 10 second-year players, meaning 27 players - over half their 53-man roster - has less than two years of NFL experience."

Take the under and do it quick! This team reminds me of the Titans with a healthy McNair last year... Horrible, but dangerous. It's hard fading a great QB even on a crappy team.
    its great to fade the name....farve will suck like my last drink ran out of limes

JohnnyBoy928
    JohnnyBoy928's Avatar Become A Pro!

Right!!!! Its all rookies... Even IF Favre was at his best, which he defintely is not, the team has a lot of work to do with chemistry...
    This is not going to be a pretty season for Green Bay

It's official:

McBa1n
    Update your status

Hearing Favre talk recently, and how he has behaved (I've never seen him act like this), I think he's had it with Ted Thompson as GM. Thompson has such a short leash for young players. His approach is: 'if you aren't a pro bowl potential player, you're gone if you make 1 critical mistake'. I think some of the cuts got to Brett. They sure as hell got to me. I'd rather rebuild while trying to win rather than rebuild by losing and getting high draft picks.

I still believe in Brett, even though I probably have no choice, but even though they have probably the easiest schedule in the NFL (they play their division + the NFC west + the AFC east)... It's a dream scenario schedule with an emerging team - but this team is not. I'm downgrading my win prediction to 2-3.

rezster
    rezster's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23023

By the mid-season mark, Favre will regret not retiring earlier in the year. I'll be amazed if this team can pull off 5 wins.

JohnnyBoy928

Yep McBa1n... So far its a close one for that under... Hope neither team scores...

I liked Chicago with the points.... That looked like a good bet to me...

It's official:

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4699

Yeah, I would say the Green Bay Packers did "Breakdown" today.

JohnnyBoy928

Well 2:12 left and still 26 -0 Chicago... I hope no one scores from here on... and it stays just like this...

bigboydan

this packers team is just piss poor this year. maybe i should have gave them too much credit on winning that many games.

JohnnyBoy928

I know, I know... Its hard to let go of the past.... Hahahahah

spliff
    spliff's Avatar Become A Pro!

I have to promise myself not to bet on the Packers for the rest of the year. They are such a terrible team! First time since '91 they've been shut out.

Favre's last 3 vs Chicago - O touchdowns, 8 picks

McBa1n
    Update your status

No need to hang your head, BBD
    It's hard to forecast when a team has an aging/almost retired QB.

I just KNOW GB since I've probably seen 80-90% of their games over the past 30+ years.
    I KNOW this team as it's my #1 hobby to follow them.
    It's hard knowing in your gut that your team is in the bottom 5 again in the NFL, but the team this year is in NO WAY better than last.
    I'm not saying this because I'm mad. I just know that team. I hope I'm wrong, though. It's going to be a long year as a fan - but a great one as a bettor:>. Favre will get one this year, though, that you won't expect... Maybe 2. Covers of spreads, that is...

JohnnyBoy928

Hahah watch they don't even do that... Well, maybe if the spread is high with the points thrown at them... hahahah
    This team will stay in the low 5 again... fa sho... The numbers are there for it... or should I say lack of numbers since its almost a whole team of rookies...

No need to hang your head, BBD
    It's hard to forecast when a team has an aging/almost retired QB.

I just KNOW GB since I've probably seen 80-90% of their games over the past 30+ years.
    I KNOW this team as it's my #1 hobby to follow them.
    It's hard knowing in your gut that your team is in the bottom 5 again in the NFL, but the team this year is in NO WAY better than last.
    I'm not saying this because I'm mad. I just know that team. I hope I'm wrong, though. It's going to be a long year as a fan - but a great one as a bettor:>. Favre will get one this year, though, that you won't expect... Maybe 2. Covers of spreads, that is...

bigboydan

At what point will they bench Farve should be what we need to be be dicussing here right now guys. Who's going to have the balls to finally just step up and tell him that the Packers want to rebuild, more importantly how will the fans react to that news.

McBa1n
    Update your status

#1 - Favre will NOT ever be benched unless the game is out of hand. Today was not his fault at all. He didn't do much, either, but even Harrison Ford couldn't have somehow pulled that one out.

#2 - Unless Favre is traded (I'd say it's 95% sure he wouldn't be - he'd block trades to any team that ISNT a slam dunk, ala Culpepper did), he will not lose his job.

I reiterate. The loss had nothing to do with Favre (for a change). The offensive line was horrible, the defensive line was barely serviceable and the secondary was sub-par against a VERY sub-par core of Bears receiving options.

I know it makes sense to do that - but for Favre to be benched, Wisconsin would have to be wiped off the map.
    He's a top 5 all time QB (almost un-arguable), a superbowl winner and playing for the smallest market team in modern sports. He means more to that franchise than Lombardi, because if he didn't show up, they would've had to keep splitting the games between Milwaukee/Green Bay, and also, they'd make so little money, they'd have no choice BUT to fold/move. (I know those Milwaukee season ticket holders get games up in GB, it's just, they play in GB ALL the time now). If Favre was benched, you'd see riots. Favre means more to Packer football magnitude-wise than probably any player has every meant to ANY team, aside from Michael Jordan, in the modern era, where the bottom-line is everything. Favre does more for that state than probably the Governor.

That said, even with Aaron Rogers in there, the Packers will lose. With Brett, they at least have a chance to sneak a W in there now and again.

Ted Thompson wants him gone, as GB is rebuilding now, but there is no way he can make Favre go away until Favre wants to... And to be frank, watching Rogers play and following beat writers that watch all their practices, Rogers has done 0 to make anyone in the organization believe that Favre's days are numbered.

Brett won't be a Packer when Brett doesn't want to be anymore. It's actually a tougher position than Miami or Dallas had to go through than when Marino or Aikman, respectively, were more or less forced to retire.

JohnnyBoy928

This is true... Very true... Not happening...
    You would see the fans wither away... When Favre retires they will hang his number up... He will not go out like that...

#1 - Favre will NOT ever be benched unless the game is out of hand. Today was not his fault at all. He didn't do much, either, but even Harrison Ford couldn't have somehow pulled that one out.

#2 - Unless Favre is traded (I'd say it's 95% sure he wouldn't be - he'd block trades to any team that ISNT a slam dunk, ala Culpepper did), he will not lose his job.

I reiterate. The loss had nothing to do with Favre (for a change). The offensive line was horrible, the defensive line was barely serviceable and the secondary was sub-par against a VERY sub-par core of Bears receiving options.

I know it makes sense to do that - but for Favre to be benched, Wisconsin would have to be wiped off the map.
    He's a top 5 all time QB (almost un-arguable), a superbowl winner and playing for the smallest market team in modern sports. He means more to that franchise than Lombardi, because if he didn't show up, they would've had to keep splitting the games between Milwaukee/Green Bay, and also, they'd make so little money, they'd have no choice BUT to fold/move. (I know those Milwaukee season ticket holders get games up in GB, it's just, they play in GB ALL the time now). If Favre was benched, you'd see riots. Favre means more to Packer football magnitude-wise than probably any player has every meant to ANY team, aside from Michael Jordan, in the modern era, where the bottom-line is everything. Favre does more for that state than probably the Governor.

That said, even with Aaron Rogers in there, the Packers will lose. With Brett, they at least have a chance to sneak a W in there now and again.

Ted Thompson wants him gone, as GB is rebuilding now, but there is no way he can make Favre go away until Favre wants to... And to be frank, watching Rogers play and following beat writers that watch all their practices, Rogers has done 0 to make anyone in the organization believe that Favre's days are numbered.

Brett won't be a Packer when Brett doesn't want to be anymore. It's actually a tougher position than Miami or Dallas had to go through than when Marino or Aikman, respectively, were more or less forced to retire.

sportsfun
    sportsfun's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5175

gb got wooped, but so did tb and car.

psycho44
    psycho44's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

I guess it's not cold enough season for Favre. Brett you're always welcome here in our CFL league.

JohnnyBoy928

Hahahahah now thats some funny shit

Quote Originally Posted by psycho44
    I guess it's not cold enough season for Favre. Brett you're always welcome here in our CFL league.