stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32317

NY Jets players bash Mark Sanchez, say they want Peyton Manning

A season torn by discord and dysfunction prompted several key Jets players and members of the organization to paint a sobering picture of Mark Sanchez, a polarizing figure within the franchise’s walls.

They raised serious doubts about his ability to lead the Jets, questioning everything from his practice habits to the organization’s coddling of him to how much of a role he truly played in the team making two consecutive AFC Championship Game appearances.

They also invited the opportunity to replace Sanchez with Peyton Manning.

The consensus among players who spoke to the Daily News was that, at the very least, the Jets must sign a legitimate veteran backup to push their young quarterback.

“We have to bring in another quarterback that will make him work at practice,” said one player. “He’s lazy and content because he knows he’s not going to be benched.”

On Dec. 28, Sanchez said that he was “light years ahead” in areas such as defensive recognition, clock management and understanding of the offensive system. Six days later, general manager Mike Tannenbaum said that Sanchez’s “rate of growth isn’t where it needs to be.”

The doubts crept in long before Sanchez stood in front of his locker on a Wednesday two weeks ago.

The Jets already were in free-fall when he tried to brush aside the undercurrent of a season gone wrong. Four days before Gang Green’s meltdown was complete under the South Florida sun with a 19-17 loss to the Dolphins, a final dagger in a season that began with so much promise and hype, Sanchez insisted that he didn’t need to validate himself as the starting quarterback.

“I’m not out to prove anything like that to people,” Sanchez said four days before the Jets finished out of the playoffs at 8-8. “I just want to work hard for these guys on the team. These guys know I’m leading by example. These are the guys I’m playing for right here in this locker room and in this building.”

Sanchez’s season was a microcosm of his three-year career, a confounding blend of good, bad and ugly. He threw for a career-high 26 touchdowns and committed a career-high 26 turnovers (18 interceptions, 8 lost fumbles). He helped the Jets lead the league in red-zone touchdown efficiency (65.5%) with 21 touchdown passes inside the 20 (fifth best in the NFL). He also committed nine turnovers during the Jets' season-ending three-game slide.

Since entering the league in 2009, Sanchez has thrown for the second-most interceptions (51) and committed the second-most turnovers (63) in the NFL.

His inconsistent play has teammates wondering if the Jets can upgrade. Several players and members of the organization were asked if the Jets should make a play for Peyton Manning if the Colts, who are expected to select Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck with the No. 1 pick in the draft, release him.

“Come on. That’s a no-brainer,” a Jets source said. “If you have a chance to get a healthy 36-year-old Peyton Manning and you don’t do it, then you’re stupid. If I could get a healthy 36-year-old Peyton Manning, then, hell yeah, I would trade Sanchez.”

Sanchez’s teammates didn’t hesitate when asked if the Jets should pursue Manning if he is medically cleared after his recent neck surgeries. They believed that the presence of consultant Tom Moore, who was Manning’s offensive coordinator and mentor during their decade-long run together in Indianapolis, would be a bonus to lure Manning to New York.

“We already have his coach — Tom Moore,” one well-respected player said. “Plus, he’s a field general and will get everyone lined up. He will get his playmakers the ball. We can win a Super Bowl with Peyton.”

But can the Jets hoist the Lombardi Trophy with Sanchez?

“How can we when he’s not improving at all?” one of Sanchez’s teammates said. “He thinks he is, but he’s not. He has shown us what he’s capable of.”

Sanchez, who has two years remaining on his rookie contract, wasn’t the lone culprit on the 25th-ranked offense. He was sacked 39 times. Edge pass rushers routinely beat left tackle D’Brickashaw Ferguson and right tackle Wayne Hunter, who allowed a combined 19 sacks — or 48% of the team total, according to Pro Football Focus. Sanchez lost confidence after getting hit so many times, according to several teammates. One Jets source admitted that Sanchez “worked his ass off” to correct his mistakes in meetings, but he was soon buried under an avalanche of offensive breakdowns on game days.

“At one point, he was looking at the (pass) rush and wasn’t seeing the receivers,” a team source said. “I think that’s a lack of confidence in what we’re doing. I think that's a lack of confidence in how we’re protecting him... When you get hit the way that he got hit, there were some quarterbacks that wouldn’t have made it through the season.”

Some of Sanchez’s teammates thought it was unfair to pin a lost season all on their young quarterback.

“Everybody got down on the quarterback,” a Jets source said. “But they weren’t looking at the situations we were putting him in. I don’t think he’s as bad as people are making him out to be. When the ---- started snowballing and he lost confidence, he never recovered. Then, you saw him making one stupid throw and one stupid mistake after another.”

The complex game plans didn't help matters, according to several people. Sanchez had difficulty absorbing the weekly wrinkles and changes, teammates said.

“So many games, he looked defeated before he ever took the field,” a team source said. “He didn’t have much confidence in what he was about to go do. You could tell throughout the week in practice. He never felt comfortable with some of the things we were doing. It was too much for him.”

Other teammates were less forgiving. They pointed to Sanchez’s career arc as reason for change.

Sanchez has finished 29th, 29th and 27th in completion percentage in his first three seasons. His passer-rating rankings: 28th, 27th and 23rd.

He has taken a step back in yards per attempt each season from 6.7 to 6.5 to 6.4. Rex Ryan admitted that the inability to stretch the field was one of his primary concerns all year. Sanchez completed a league-worst two passes of 40-plus yards this season. By comparison, Tim Tebow completed three passes of at least 40 yards in the second quarter of the Broncos’ wild-card overtime win against the Steelers Sunday.

Although Sanchez won four road playoff games in his first two seasons, some teammates remained critical, pointing to the successful rushing attack and defense as the key reasons for the Jets’ success in 2009 and 2010.

A couple weeks ago, Sanchez dismissed a report that he was being coddled. His teammates disagreed.

“They don’t want to be truthful with him,” one prominent player said of the way that the organization has handled Sanchez. “They treat him like a baby instead of a man. He goes in a hole when someone tells him the truth.”

A Jets spokesman declined to make Sanchez available for this story. A source close to the team pointed out that Sanchez’s inability to handle mounting criticism prompted him to unfollow every Jets beat writer on Twitter earlier this season.

“So that should tell you everything,” the source said. “He just doesn’t have the mental toughness to be great... especially in New York.”

Some in the organization told The News that many of Sanchez’s teammates have grown resentful for myriad reasons.

“They see the organization babying him,” said a Jets source. “They see him with a sense of entitlement. He’s been given all this and hasn’t done anything. They call him ‘San-chise.’ They make him the face of the organization. They gave him the captain tag. He’s not a captain. He should have never been a captain.”

None of the players who spoke to the Daily News for this story agreed with Ryan’s decision to anoint Sanchez as a captain.

On Dec. 28, Sanchez denied the notion that he was a victim of a high standard set by going to two AFC Championship Games in his first two seasons.

"We hold ourselves to a high standard,” Sanchez said. “I don’t want to feel like I’m a victim or anything like that. We expect to win... I don’t feel like we’ve set the bar too high. There is no way. I don’t feel like that.”

Six days later, Sanchez expressed a much different outlook.

“You go to back-to-back AFC Championship Games, and everybody thinks, ‘OK, we’ll just get a little bit better and you are winning the Super Bowl,’” Sanchez told ESPN Radio on Jan. 3. “I don’t want to make excuses at all. That’s not my style. But we’ve kind of been a victim of our own success.”

The hope for some players this offseason is that the Jets will pursue Manning if he is healthy and available. Of course, there is no guarantee that Manning would choose them even if owner Woody Johnson and Ryan put on an all-out blitz.

“I don’t think that he’ll come here,” a member of the Jets organization said. “We have to change the perception of our organization. We’re not the organization that players said they wanted to play for a year or two ago. We’re starting to come across a little flaky. We talk the talk. We don’t back it up. We’re out of control. There’s no discipline. It’s a mess right now.”

john230
    john230's Avatar Become A Pro!

The Sanchize is not going to lead the Jets to the promised land. I agree it's time for them to bring in another QB to challenge him. Sanchez would be a good backup in this league.

Sportsbetting123
    Sportsbetting123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7617

Two Mannings in NY? I can't see it

stevenash

^
    Rex Ryan has input, and I can see him pulling strings behind the scenes to make it happen just to spite the Giants.

But yeah, when your teammates tell the media, "we can't win with this shit bum, get rid of him" you have to make a change.

If the Jets don't get rid of him, next season will be a disaster, the team will not play for him and just quit on him.

This team is a mess. Even the die hards have to admit, this team is a train wreck right now, from the third string QB saying the team is not a team, Plaxico, to Santonio Holmes, now this................

Ace_of_Spades
    Golazo De Riverrrr!
    Ace_of_Spades's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

Quite incredible to see a team just come out and openly say things about Sanchez like this. I couldn't imagine how Sanchez is dealing with this.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

What's strange is Sanchez got them to 2 afc title games

He does seem lazy though

stevenash

“How can we when he’s not improving at all?” one of Sanchez’s teammates said. “He thinks he is, but he’s not. He has shown us what he’s capable of.”

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    What's strange is Sanchez got them to 2 afc title games
    Was it Sanchez that got them there , or was it Revis and his buddies?

thebestthereis
    thebestthereis's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8056

Sanchize managed them into the playoffs, just like Tony LaRussa does

ZetaPsi808
    July 2011 Poster of the Month
    ZetaPsi808's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1982

awesome article. I'm from NY and I agree sancheZ sucks

daimoshokage
    daimoshokage's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 57

Sanchez don't give a fukk.. He's banging Kate Upton for crying out loud.. Who gives a shit about his teammates..

WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

The question is how can HE play for THEM now? The jets are a team full of bitches posing as tough guys.

stevenash

Sparano will be calling the shots next season on offense. (it's not a done deal, but it's a done deal if you know what I mean?)
    Sparano is nothing more than a glorified o-line coach.
    Seems to me all signs point to a rush first, pass second team on offense next year with Tony.
    But with who? Greene is a 1000 yard rusher, but he needed over 250 carries to reach that, he's not an elite runner, LT is 65 years old.

daimoshokage
    daimoshokage's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 57

Giants will always be NY's Team.. not the fukking garbage Jets!

stevenash

^
    This

Landscaper
    Banned
    Landscaper's Avatar Become A Pro!

As a big Jets fan this team is a mess and needs a lot of work. As for Sparano not sure about him I heard something about Haley coming.. At this point it was time for shotty to be gone

Monitor-Tan
    Tony Romo of Daily Fantasy
    Monitor-Tan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 428

Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by daimoshokage View Post
    Giants will always be NY's Team.. not the fukking garbage Jets!

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

giants players used to say the same thing about eli.

the problem with the jets is they lack a wr who can stretch the field, o-line who cant protect him and a rb who should be on the bench. peyton would never come cause he knows he would get killed.

GenosPicks
    GenosPicks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

i talked about this the past two weeks in my Geno's Picks Podcast--he's just not getting any better. Do realize he still has yet to finish a season with a completion percentage over 58 or a passer rating that's over 80... the guys just hasn't gotten better. Upper 70's isn't a passer rating, it's the weather report for his hometown in Mexico

stevenash

Only cowards go to the media as 'unnamed source' or 'anonymous'
    At least McElroy made his comments with his name attached.

SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

He's in an extremely tough market, coming from USC. He wasn't groomed for this type of abuse; he's got to command the locker room and come into his own, just like Eli did with the Giants after Tiki departed.

WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

I love the anonymous tag associated with these comments. Of course Peyton makes the Jets better! Let your name be known so we can name NFL players who could better replace you.

These comments better have ONLY come from Nick Mangold. Everyone else on that team, including Revise, could be upgraded.

Cowards.

tony_come
    tony_come's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1122

Mexicans are not lazy

sanchez is black

I think...

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith
    itchypickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5620

Payton goes to Arizona next season. Just wait for it. Soon as this whole bonus deal is worked out before March he's a Cardinal.

Whisenhunt knows how to work with the old QBs like Warner and think about the receivers and backs the offense has in place, just need a quarterback and it's easy to get out of the Kevin Kolb contract.

Manning either retires or heads out West boys.

will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!
    will2survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

OP: this is propsterous! Manning will be 36 during the football season. If the Jets win, it's because of him. Nobody should win that way. Sanchize has taken the Jets to a lot of playoff wins

VegasInsider
    Update your status
    VegasInsider's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Enough said.

thebestthereis
    thebestthereis's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8056

People and the media continue to bash these clowns like Sanchize, Teebow, Flacco, Smith, Palmer, Romo,etc. Why are they getting bashed?? Bash me too, I never won squat or will win squat either. I was as athletic as anyone I have ever met, this is the truth. I could run a 4.4 40 yard dash, great hands, play D-1 baseball at a top 25 school, unreal 3 point shooter, could bowl a 200, golf a 90 (never played or practiced), volleyball, surfing, track, kick 40 yard field goals in practice, throw a football 50 yards, ski, skate, etc. Main problem, aside from my size, was I just did not have the winning gene. I am not saying I am a loser, but when it came to clutch I didn't have it even though I was as talented or more. This is what people don't understand about these players. Everyone cannot win or be the best, someone is always better other than the top few. The media just wants to fukkking bash and bash because they never played the game and all they care about is controversial stories and ratings.

jetsjets1028
    jetsjets1028's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1363

GOOD players are realizing what us fans realize.. and with all bashing of sanchez nothing else jets can do but get rid of that awful qb and get manning or even matt flynn would be fine if we cant get peyton!!!

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by itchypickle View Post
    Payton goes to Arizona next season. Just wait for it. Soon as this whole bonus deal is worked out before March he's a Cardinal.

Whisenhunt knows how to work with the old QBs like Warner and think about the receivers and backs the offense has in place, just need a quarterback and it's easy to get out of the Kevin Kolb contract.

Manning either retires or heads out West boys.

Smart money says the same thing.
    Been hearing for a week now, Bidwill wants a Warner type, will do anything he can to get Manning if available, and would love to get out of that 7 mil bonus Kolb is due in March.

Thing is, who would back up Manning if he's a Card, Kolb would be gone, and that stiff riding the bench from BYU is garbage

beerman2619
    beerman2619's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 459

Quote Originally Posted by thebestthereis View Post
    People and the media continue to bash these clowns like Sanchize, Teebow, Flacco, Smith, Palmer, Romo,etc. Why are they getting bashed?? Bash me too, I never won squat or will win squat either. I was as athletic as anyone I have ever met, this is the truth. I could run a 4.4 40 yard dash, great hands, play D-1 baseball at a top 25 school, unreal 3 point shooter, could bowl a 200, golf a 90 (never played or practiced), volleyball, surfing, track, kick 40 yard field goals in practice, throw a football 50 yards, ski, skate, etc. Main problem, aside from my size, was I just did not have the winning gene. I am not saying I am a loser, but when it came to clutch I didn't have it even though I was as talented or more. This is what people don't understand about these players. Everyone cannot win or be the best, someone is always better other than the top few. The media just wants to fukkking bash and bash because they never played the game and all they care about is controversial stories and ratings.
    Romo shouldn't be in that group with Sanchez, Tebow, Flacco, Smith and Palmer. Good god look at his stats compared to those clowns. Romo stats rank right up there with the top qb's in the game.

Sanchez career numbers 55 tds 51 ints 9209 yards qb rating 73.1
    Romo career numbers 149 tds 72 ints 20834 yards qb rating 96.9
    Last edited by beerman2619; 01-11-12 at 12:42 PM.

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

i'm glad shottenheimer left, he was half the problem. sanchez is bad, it is not mysterious. he is too impulsive, too risky in a bad way. interceptions, fumbles, not taking care of business. last year the jets won in really lucky last minute ways, not this year. jets games became super-boring. i think jets might be a lot better with a better offensive coordinator.

iifold
    Update your status
    iifold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1774

Told you this was coming...

Anybody that has played sports can tell this dork is one of those "coaches pet's" type guys that knows he isn't good enough...

He hides his flaws with articulate interviews, planned workouts with star players...

Didn't hurt to play on the best team in football last 3 years...

They will bench this geek and be right back in the playoffs!!!

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

Quote Originally Posted by iifold View Post

Told you this was coming...

Anybody that has played sports can tell this dork is one of those "coaches pet's" type guys that knows he isn't good enough...

He hides his flaws with articulate interviews, planned workouts with star players...

Didn't hurt to play on the best team in football last 3 years...

They will bench this geek and be right back in the playoffs!!!
    Best team last three years??

And the guy is a geek?? Kate upton doesnt think so..

And a guy waking up at this time after playing videogames all night shouldnt judge other people..

iifold
    Update your status
    iifold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1774

Quote Originally Posted by King Mayan View Post
    Best team last three years??

And the guy is a geek?? Kate upton doesnt think so..

And a guy waking up at this time after playing videogames all night shouldnt judge other people..
    Let's Fight!!!

Meet me at Crenshaw and 48th!!!!

Bring your video camera!!!!!!!

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

Quote Originally Posted by iifold View Post
    Let's Fight!!!

Meet me at Crenshaw and 48th!!!!

Bring your video camera!!!!!!!
    Sanchez the beaner will always be better than you..

And how can I fight a kid that can't even think for himself??

12 Last