With all of the crap TO put him through I can't say I blame the guy.

BETHLEHEM, Pa. -- Now that Terrell Owens is gone from Philadelphia, Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie says it was a mistake to sign the outspoken wide receiver.

"I would not do it again," Lurie said Wednesday in his annual state-of-the-team address. "You look back on it -- one year great, the second year a disaster. Nobody should be able to be as disruptive and really cut the energy of the team down.

"I think we all learned from that."

During his first year in Philadelphia, Owens helped the Eagles reach their first Super Bowl since the 1980 season. But he was a major disruption throughout last season. The Eagles endured a dismal, injury-plagued 6-10 season, and Owens' tenure in Philadelphia ended bitterly.

He signed on with the Dallas Cowboys, one of the Eagles' main rivals in the NFC East.

"If you don't have the chemistry, the talent and the help, with high-character people, you're not going to survive those downturns in the middle of the season," Lurie said.

However, Lurie won't let the Owens experiment make him more cautious.

"I'll always try to be aggressive and take risks and be willing to make mistakes," he said. "Yet at the same time when we're in the draft room or approaching free agency or picking up players or trading for players, character is probably No. 1.

"If you don't get past the character test, the teamwork test, you're not going to be on the Philadelphia Eagles."