Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11174

Is Blaine Gabbert the worst starting QB in the league?

I know this kid is a rookie but ouch, he looks awful. What's wrong with his ears? He can't hear defenders breathing down his neck? Why is he getting stripped sacked every other down?

I seriously think several SBR members could go out their tonight and do a better job. This kid needs to donate his game check tonight.

To think Jax could have taken Tebow in the draft. Dummies

Speedy88
    Speedy88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1636

yes. but they also have the worst WR core as well.

troynewell47
    troynewell47's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 267

yes

warriorfan707
    SBR Poster of the Milennium
    warriorfan707's Avatar Become A Pro!

I challenge someone to show me someone worse.

Serbone
    Serbone's Avatar Become A Pro!

He sure looks outmatched out there!
    He left Missouri U a yr earlier than he should have, did not play as long as others that completed their Sr yrs, and is playing for a terrible team with no WR's, always playing from behind. OL is not so hot, and he gets pummeled out there.
    He played on Missouri's spread offense, all shotgun, and has not adjusted to the speed of the NFL.
    I saw him @ Missouri and I say in 2 yrs he will be solid, he has all the tools, arm, heigth, and is a very good runner athlete, almost like Locker.

NEOHsports4life
    Go Buckeyes!
    NEOHsports4life's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

Chris Painter

lonelynoob
    lonelynoob's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 614

gabbert has a great future ..... as matt barkleys backup starting next year ...

antifoil
    Update your status
    antifoil's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6611

obviously romo is worse.

billysink
    billysink's Avatar Become A Pro!

Gabbert has no one even remotely close to being able to stretch the field, anything inside or crossing is being taken away because the line is jammed to stop MJD. Mercedes has to stay in to chip some.........what the **** chance did the kid have.

You can't judge this kid for two more years. I know he does not look good now but he is making his progressions and learning to read a D.

Give the kid some help and see. It is not like he has made a habit throwing it to the other team.

The kid has had to face a ton of top 10 pass defenses and didn't get killed.

Time will tell.

Serbone

He will be fine next year and above average the next one, though he will need some supporting cast.
    Maybe even top tier in 3-4 yrs.
    He has all the tools arm-touch-size 6'5" 230-athlete can really run... and very intelligent.
    He had played in the shotgun both seasons at Missouri, he should have stayed for his senior year but could not pass up the money... wound up on a shit team in a shit situation. He is playing with 3rd rate taxi squad Wr's, always behind, playing catch up, DL's tee up and LB's blitz.
    Skins, Miami, a few others would KILL to have him next year.
    He is not Jax's problem. The rest of the team + incredible # of injuries = Jax's problem.

Speedy88

He has all the tools of a great QB (athleticism, tall, quick, rocket-arm, great velocity), but you can have all the intangibles that make a great QB, but you need to be able to put on the pads and stand in the pocket and read defenses. There is no question Gabbert has the intangibles, but I'm not sure if he can put the pads on every Sunday and read defenses.

Night-Tripper
    Fade Me!
    Night-Tripper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3326

Quote Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe View Post
    I know this kid is a rookie but ouch, he looks awful. What's wrong with his ears? He can't hear defenders breathing down his neck? Why is he getting stripped sacked every other down?

I seriously think several SBR members could go out their tonight and do a better job. This kid needs to donate his game check tonight.

To think Jax could have taken Tebow in the draft. Dummies
    He is now that McNabb has been waived.

Night-Tripper
    Fade Me!
    Night-Tripper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3326

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy88 View Post
    He has all the tools of a great QB (athleticism, tall, quick, rocket-arm, great velocity), but you can have all the intangibles that make a great QB, but you need to be able to put on the pads and stand in the pocket and read defenses. There is no question Gabbert has the intangibles, but I'm not sure if he can put the pads on every Sunday and read defenses.
    He's a little too egotistical and doesn't take *coaching* well. Gruden has ripped his azz and he just sat there with a smirk on his face, because as far as he's concerned, he already *knows it all*.

Serbone

Agree, nobody is sure of that.
    However, I think he is as good as Daulton, Ponder, and Locker but did not play his senior year and was in the shotgun at Missouri.
    Daulton is in a better situation and Locker gets to play back up and Ponder just came into the game mid season, he, too, is on a bad team, though not really as bad as Jax weapon wise he has some WR's.
    Gabbert was thrown to the wolves on a terrible team.
    I think all three are like you say, you do not know all the intangibles yet, how will they perform?
    We will know in 2-3 yrs on all three.
    McCoy is in his 2nd yr and looks like he might not have what it takes but he is in a tough situation, too.
    Cam Newton looks good but after he gets some broken ribs and concussions he will be ineffective in 2-3 yrs.
    I would take Gabbert right now over Newton for the long term.
    But the votes are not all in on these guys, give them each 2 yrs.

Mac4Lyfe

Gabbert looked absolutely terrified out there tonight. He looks like he doesn't want any contact. I haven't watched him much all year but he looked bad tonight. Maybe he'll get better like some of you mentioned but tonight, I think I could have done better than that crap. I'd at least hang onto the rock.

Speedy88

Anyone else think he looks really awkward when he drops back? I think it is the strides. But he just looks really goofy when he drops back under center, I think the flopping hair has something to do with it too.

Serbone

Anyone else think he looks really awkward when he drops back? I think it is the strides. But he just looks really goofy when he drops back under center, I think the flopping hair has something to do with it too.
    Yes... Gabbert played shotgun in college, that was a concern.
    Even though he is fast and strong, it looks like his footwork is not optimal dropping back. It might improve, or maybe it will not. NFL might be too fast for him, in college he stood back in shotgun and looked at 5 receivers. In NFL he has to drop back and see the whole field as he does...
    Again, his WR's are promoted taxi squad caliber. A disaster. And the OL is not exactly the HOGS.
    With WR's that get some separation, he might be much better of a QB.
    CIncy's Dalton has decent WR's and is on a team that is not always playing catch up and Dalton played all 4 yrs at TCU.
    A lot of HOF QB's did just as bad their first yr... had not supporting casts.
    I think this kid will be good.

(Gruden is an idiot as an announcer... he said the Rams should take RGIII 2nd pick... Rams, too, do not need a QB, they need a TEAM to surround Sam Bradford. Jaws was beside himsself as Gruden kept making that assinine point)

DJ Dana
    DJ Dana's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 241

I hate reactionary threads like this one. Gabbert is clearly needing to take steps to develop but Del Rio did him no favors dumping Garrard to start the season and name me one team that is thinner at WR this year. Nice post Serbone.

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Dana View Post
    I hate reactionary threads like this one. Gabbert is clearly needing to take steps to develop but Del Rio did him no favors dumping Garrard to start the season and name me one team that is thinner at WR this year. Nice post Serbone.
    What other reaction do you want? The kid looked like Humpty Dumpty out there. He hiked the ball then ran outside of the pocket right into defenders like a retard. He had zero command out there and showed very little confidence.

I know it's just one game but based on what I saw, I don't know how he is starting games? I'd say the Bronco's WR are pretty bad. Probably the worst in the league... Mercedes Lewis is better than all of Denver's WR's combined.

Speedy88

Gabbert looks bad. But at the same time he got thrown into the fire by the Jags and Del Rio. He has absolutely no weapons around him, and he wasn't suppose to even play much this year. Of course by game 3 they throw him in there because Jack Del Rio is trying to save his job rather than thinking about Gabbert's career.

SamAceRothstein
    SamAceRothstein's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 67

Yep

ShogunRua
    Update Status
    ShogunRua's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yes, he is very bad.

But Caleb Hanie is far worse.

Mac4Lyfe

Haine looked okay to me. Now he has less playmaking WR's then Gabbert. He at least has pocket presence and can make throws. Gabbert looks like a scared kid out there and the stage looks too big for him. Haine seems more prepared.

Now I know Gabbert is young and can improve. I understand how tough it must be to be thrown into the wolves but right now he looks to be the worst starting QB in the league. One bright spot has to be that he can't get much worse. He has to have an upside to that mess last night.

ShogunRua
    Update Status
    ShogunRua's Avatar Become A Pro!

Haine looked okay to me. Now he has less playmaking WR's then Gabbert. He at least has pocket presence and can make throws. Gabbert looks like a scared kid out there and the stage looks too big for him. Haine seems more prepared.

Now I know Gabbert is young and can improve. I understand how tough it must be to be thrown into the wolves but right now he looks to be the worst starting QB in the league. One bright spot has to be that he can't get much worse. He has to have an upside to that mess last night.
    Strongly disagree with both of those points. I have watched all 3 games he has started, and I can say with 100% certainty that Hanie has absolutely no pocket awareness. And 9/10 his throws are not good. Gabbert is also quite bad, but I wouldn't put him in Hanie's category just yet.

GunShard
    Invest In Ethereum And Bitcoin
    GunShard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1938

Curtis Painter and Tyler Palko are worst.

Jags needs receivers, it's my prediction that the Jags will draft the best receiver in the 2012 nfl draft. Justin Blackmon.

DJ Dana
    DJ Dana's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 241

What other reaction do you want? The kid looked like Humpty Dumpty out there. He hiked the ball then ran outside of the pocket right into defenders like a retard. He had zero command out there and showed very little confidence.

I know it's just one game but based on what I saw, I don't know how he is starting games? I'd say the Bronco's WR are pretty bad. Probably the worst in the league... Mercedes Lewis is better than all of Denver's WR's combined.
    He's starting games because they moved up to draft him last year and dumped their starter. Denver has slightly better WR's but it's just quibbling and the Jags were clearly mismatched last night. I just read threads like this and say to myself: Someone is butt sore because they just made a poor wager. Either that or they watch one game and think they can evaluate talent. Which one is it?

warriorfan707
    SBR Poster of the Milennium
    warriorfan707's Avatar Become A Pro!

I would have to agree that Hanie is worse but he is not a starter.

Bengals28
    Success is one thing, Impact is another
    Bengals28's Avatar Become A Pro!

This Idiot really said he was as good as Dalton?

Dalton is having one of the best rookie seasons for a QB EVER. He's nowhere near Dalton's level.

It's Dalton not Daulton.