No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Quote Originally Posted by k13 View Post
    Miami opens -3/-2.5 vs Denver, Line flips and is Denver -2.5/-3 now

A short line won and lost but which one is more important?
    Well obviously the closing line is the most important, though it is worth noting where early money goes -- especially in the NFL.

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1836

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    Closing, but I guess it also depends on the book line as well.

The only place I saw Atlanta closing as a dog was Bodog. Maybe Greek as well though? Most had either PK or -1.
    I don't count loser books. Only Pinnacle and thegreek really matter to me.

serc
    serc's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 549

So does this "learning process" help you make money in the long run? I see that you always talk about line movement and how it favors one side, I am not convinced that you figured this thing out, if you had done, then you woul have made a killing everyweek by selecting the right side. Just my 2 cents

Well obviously the closing line is the most important, though it is worth noting where early money goes -- especially in the NFL.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

I don't count loser books. Only Pinnacle and thegreek really matter to me.
    I'm pretty sure Pinny closed at -1 for ATL. Again, not sure on The Greek (think they might have been -1 for NO).

Bookmaker and Matchbook also had ATL -1.

chilidog
    chilidog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 956

With an opening line of -2.5 or less, 10-16 this season.
    With a closing line of -2.5 or less, 7-16 this season.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by chilidog View Post
    For home faves of -2.5 or less?

Elysee26
    Elysee26's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 646

Great post. Everything is correction. Betters get to thinking teams are better than they are. The trick is to find matchups that are close and hedge (i.e. TEASE) your angles. When Vegas makes a line it is NOT what they think the finals score will be, it is a number that they think the PUBLIC will bet 50/50. Vegas lives and dies with the juice. I've spent too much time doing this to think that there are Square and Sharps. That is the dumbest thing in the world.

k13

When a line flips sides like the, don't think the closing side has lost once this year.

But I'll have to check closer.

You are right though, a high % of these small spread faves lose. Even higher if you consider the opening/closing lines.

P.F.Kasooff
    P.F.Kasooff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

SBR needs more threads like this one

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

When a line flips sides like the, don't think the closing side has lost once this year.

But I'll have to check closer.

You are right though, a high % of these small spread faves lose. Even higher if you consider the opening/closing lines.
    If what chili posted is true, I'm going to kick my own ass for not following this to a T.

geebert74
    geebert74's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 127

Taking a side across the board is foolish. You deserve to lose if this is the case here.

chilidog
    chilidog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 956

But for last season, with an opening line of -2.5 or less, 51-35 for the season. And with a closing line of -2.5 or less, 21-15 for the season.

It's just variance.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Elysee26 View Post
    I've spent too much time doing this to think that there are Square and Sharps. That is the dumbest thing in the world.
    There are winners and losers. That's it.

Hell, look at Kansas State Saturday. Line made zero sense. Public pounded the home dog. "Sharps" hit A&M. Line kept going up. Public kept hitting K-State. Big money on A&M. What happens? What everyone thought would happen if you take line movement and everything else out of consideration.

This is why you can't just blindly follow a given formula. If the line movement matches your lean, go with it. If it works with what I posted here, go with it. But if it doesn't, pass.

You'll win more than you lose, but it's not an exact science. Never will be.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

But for last season, with an opening line of -2.5 or less, 51-35 for the season. And with a closing line of -2.5 or less, 21-15 for the season.

It's just variance.
    Really? Interesting.

Seems like I've been burned all my betting life by taking short home faves. Then again, I bet college more than pro, so maybe there' something to that (again, softer lines, more games).

k13

If what chili posted is true, I'm going to kick my own ass for not following this to a T.
    The -3 spreads are the ones doing most of the winning for the small spreads.

If you take those out, huge difference.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21677

I don't think any large trend rules of thumb like this are going to be fruitful over the long-run in an appropriate comparison. Simply betting all closing road dogs of +1 to +2.5 is not going to make you a long-term winner. To have a shot, you need more refined subsets.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    I don't think any large trend rules of thumb like this are going to be fruitful over the long-run in an appropriate comparison. Simply betting all closing road dogs of +1 to +2.5 is not going to make you a long-term winner. To have a shot, you need more refined subsets.
    Again, I'm not advocating just blindly betting them all.

With favorable line movement -- especially RLM -- you can win with picking and choosing your spots. A lot.

My guess is if you bet sides based on the following and nothing else, you could retire a rich man:

1) Road dogs of +1 to +3 with RLM
    2) Home dogs of +1 to +6.5 with RLM
    3) Home faves when the public backs the dog

Of course, next to none of us have that kind of discipline.
    Points Awarded:

bb_skoots gave No coincidences 5 SBR Point(s) for this post.

bb_skoots
    bb_skoots's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 389

^^^writing this down and putting it next to my computer.

k13

No coincidences, don't let someone tell you can't pick every game across the board and have an edge. The more games, the less variance, the less luck involved. College Football is a great example.

This is just simple following line moves/RLM/Fading public at an appropriate time. Also getting the worst possible line in most cases. 43 games over .500 just to be 54%, shows you how tough sports betting is when you look at who huge samples.

o/u is all Unders picked blindly. I'm not into totals but interesting to track.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

I love having action on Sundays, but honestly, we should probably all just skip the NFL altogether.

As for college, k13, I see what you're saying, but you can also be choosy and strive for an even better record. It's easily obtainable.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by bb_skoots View Post
    ^^^writing this down and putting it next to my computer.

k13

I love having action on Sundays, but honestly, we should probably all just skip the NFL altogether.

As for college, k13, I see what you're saying, but you can also be choosy and strive for an even better record. It's easily obtainable.
    Yes you could try but after 10-30 years of being choosy you will come to the same thing as someone not being choosy in one year.

The last 12 years, no one has hit 60% in CFB with a large sample even with millions of people trying with no real money on it. Think about that.

JR007
    JR007's Avatar Become A Pro!

lots of times the 3 just for homefield advantage

brahmabull117
    brahmabull117's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

Yes you could try but after 10-30 years of being choosy you will come to the same thing as someone not being choosy in one year. The last 12 years, no one has hit 60% in CFB with a large sample even with millions of people trying with no real money on it. Think about that.

I've easily hit over 60% since the start of the college season

If you can't hit 60% in college football picking 2-5 plays every saturday, you have no business sports betting. There are lines routinely that are off by 3-10+. College lines are just sooooo much softer than NFL lines

totals are also very easy in CFB - there are teams that go over or go under nearly every single week - you just gotta tail them when they're facing decent matchups.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by brahmabull117 View Post

If you can't hit 60% in college football picking 2-5 plays every saturday, you have no business sports betting. There are lines routinely that are off by 3-10+
    Here we go....

Inkwell77
    Inkwell77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2413

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    Putting short road dogs in a round robin teaser going across the key numbers has been fruitful over the long run these past few years. Especially if you look at those short road dogs in games where the total is relatively low. This is one of the reasons all these books changed their teaser odds. It's relatively uncommon to find books that book two team 6 point teasers at -110 in Vegas today (I think the Wynn and Cantor are the only books with these odds). Supposedly, in the past you could find better odds than -110 all over town.

brahmabull117

finally NC says something sensible

k13

If you can't hit 60% in college football picking 2-5 plays every saturday, you have no business sports betting. There are lines routinely that are off by 3-10+. College lines are just sooooo much softer than NFL lines

totals are also very easy in CFB - there are teams that go over or go under nearly every single week - you just gotta tail them when they're facing decent matchups.
    You mean like Stanford over Oregon and Boise over TCU....??? Those were easy.

I can hit 100% if I pick only one play...no luck involved there

Brahma, next year do a spread sheet and pick every CFB game ATS. If you hit 60% I'll consider you the greatest handicapper in the history of existence. Good Luck.

brahmabull117

I didn't play Stanford, I played the over and Boise was 1 of 2 losses all week (compared to 5 wins).

I can hit 100% if I pick only one play...no luck involved there Brahma, next year do a spread sheet and pick every CFB game ATS. If you hit 60% I'll consider you the greatest handicapper in the history of existence. Good Luck.

Pick every cfb game ats and hit 60%???

that's impossible. I can hit 60%+ doing 2-5 plays, no more

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

I can hit 100% if I pick only one play...no luck involved there

Brahma, next year do a spread sheet and pick every CFB game ATS. If you hit 60% I'll consider you the greatest handicapper in the history of existence. Good Luck.
    I really don't want this to turn into a thread of brahma sucking his own dick.

GoBlue23
    Penetrate
    GoBlue23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3169

I really don't want this to turn into a thread of brahma sucking his own dick.

k13

Pick every cfb game ats and hit 60%???

that's impossible.
    At least we agree on something. Good thing you know. Back on topic.

BigDofBA
    BigDofBA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2011

In college basketball, always bet road teams that are +2.

brahmabull117

At least we agree on something. Good thing you know. Back on topic.

I've never been a guy who thinks that you could beat Vegas betting large # of plays

Vegas is right on the money with probably 90-99% of potential bets you can make. That's why I laugh at these people who make 5,6,7,8 or even 9+ plays every weekend and think they're gonna make a bunch of $$

k13

There's a better "angle" which is a little more complicated and combines a few things.

First 123 Last