SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

Why are the Jets getting no respect?

-1.5 at home versus the Tom Bradyless Patriots.

Lets get something straight. Maybe the Pats as a team are good enough to not falter versus the Chiefs with no quarterback, but the Jets have a much better defense than KC, have a good offensive line, some weapons including a good young TE for Favre. A head coach that figures to throw the damn book of complex schemes at an untested Matt Cassell whose thrown an interception in 99% of the limited instances we've seen him. I just don't see the Pats putting together a spirited road effort against a team with a far superior QB and comparable talent in other facets of the game.

element1286
    element1286's Avatar Become A Pro!

It will certainly be a interesting game, the truth is we really have no idea how the Patriots will respond so I think the line is about right considering that.

SBR Lou

Quote Originally Posted by element1286 View Post
    It will certainly be a interesting game, the truth is we really have no idea how the Patriots will respond so I think the line is about right considering that.
    Hell I'm pretty sure Belichick and the rest of those guys will be just fine, it's just Matt Cassel I'm thinking about. I don't know that the Patriots running game is good enough to take considerable weight off Cassel's shoulders and allow him to "manage the game". And with how old they are at LB, how much weaker they are at cornerback and that young free safety who was just placed on IR, I really don't like this game for Matt Cassel.

His adrenaline may have kicked in game one, I didn't watch him much myself or look at his #'s but this is a lot of time to think about things here, A LOT of pressure is on his shoulders because just this preseason he was fighting to even retain the backup spot. The Pats still have other QB's they can turn to here, and Cassel knows that..

Aside from Cassel, there's still that guy named Brett Favre, yeah he's still pretty good. So I don't know if I feel comfortable at all expecting a Cassel lead Pats team to knock off their division rival in what figures to be a game where home field and skillful QB play can make all the difference.

durito
    escarabajo negro
    durito's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 438

they are getting too much respect

pat venditto
    pat venditto's Avatar Become A Pro!

I agree with durito.

ChiGuy23
    ChiGuy23's Avatar Become A Pro!

Theyre getting no respect because they struggled to beat a horrific Miami squad.

Boner_18
    Update your status
    Boner_18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1031

Quote Originally Posted by ChiGuy23 View Post
    Theyre getting no respect because they struggled to beat a horrific Miami squad.
    Agreed. Pats - Brady = Still much better than Fins. Jets worked their hardest to lose to the fins.

VegasDave
    Philosophy Frog
    VegasDave's Avatar Become A Pro!

CrazyL you are underestimating the motivation factor... you think the Patriots like hearing about how their season is done and they are nothing without Tom Brady?

Brady2Moss
    Brady2Moss's Avatar Become A Pro!

You guys are forgetting how easy it is to just lob it up to Randy when your in trouble... More often than not its a 50+ yard gain or a PI... Casell will be fine if he looks Randy's way everytime. Worked well for Culpepper..

dwaechte
    dwaechte's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 235

I hear a lot of people talking about how the Pats only managed to squeak by KC. Yes, the Chiefs did have a chance to tie at the end of the game, but for the most part, the game wasn't quite as close as the score reflects in my opinion. This Pats team is not dead in the water yet.

ZBOIZ
    ZBOIZ's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9739

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyL View Post
    -1.5 at home versus the Tom Bradyless Patriots.

Lets get something straight. Maybe the Pats as a team are good enough to not falter versus the Chiefs with no quarterback, but the Jets have a much better defense than KC, have a good offensive line, some weapons including a good young TE for Favre. A head coach that figures to throw the damn book of complex schemes at an untested Matt Cassell whose thrown an interception in 99% of the limited instances we've seen him. I just don't see the Pats putting together a spirited road effort against a team with a far superior QB and comparable talent in other facets of the game.
    The Jets are getting no resepect because there unproven!

Kojack84
    Kojack84's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

The Jets won by Favre throwing a lob ball in the endzone that ANYONE could've caught. He got lucky it was a Jet.

With Pats having a real D they will beat the Jets easily.

SBR Lou

Quote Originally Posted by Kojack84 View Post
    The Jets won by Favre throwing a lob ball in the endzone that ANYONE could've caught. He got lucky it was a Jet.

With Pats having a real D they will beat the Jets easily.
    Don't they need a quarterback who understands the game though? Cassel has ridden the bench his entire short career, Mangini will throw the book at him to confuse and rattle him.

SBR Lou

Quote Originally Posted by durito View Post
    Why? They have better cornerbacks, now a much better starting QB, they have an improved offensive line and enough weapons for Favre to lob it up or check it down to. Their entire offense is more versatile under Favres watch.

They have a smart head coach, but one that gets WAY too conservative sometimes, it nearly cost them the game. He not only ran every single possession when all they needed was a first down, he ran on 3rd and 7 only needing a 1st down to win and handed the Dolphins like a minute and change to move down the field.

So the Pats have the clear coaching advantage, and we know they won't allow Favre to abuse them through the air but how much can Belichick coach Cassel into smart decisions here? They aren't going to be able to run enough on the Jets D to create much room for Cassel to work with, they'll find someone deep but Cassel ain't out dueling Favre.

Italia_NYC
    Italia_NYC's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by durito View Post
    ^ This. The Jets will embarrass themselves as usual Sunday.

Ag Broker
    Ag Broker's Avatar Become A Pro!

Without Brady the Pats still have Moss, Welker, and a "decent" backfield

fifawcs
    fifawcs's Avatar Become A Pro!

As much as I would like to say the Jets will win tis for sure, Favre and the Jets didn't prove that much by beating the Dolphins.

Sportsgirl
    Sportsgirl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 169

They are getting a little too much respect, IMO. Game one they barely beat the Dolphins. Game two against the Pats and they are favored? Belichick will have his team ready to prove that they are more than just Tom Brady, I think.

SBR Lou

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsgirl View Post
    They are getting a little too much respect, IMO. Game one they barely beat the Dolphins. Game two against the Pats and they are favored? Belichick will have his team ready to prove that they are more than just Tom Brady, I think.
    I understand that line of thinking, but what about Matt Cassel? He's the one piece of the puzzle that can spoil the party. It's not like the Jets fans will make things any easier for Cassel here in what I believe is his first ever start.

I'm expecting two interceptions out of him. In fact I wouldn't even rule out him getting pulled out by the 2nd half.

Sportsgirl
    Sportsgirl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 169

I understand that line of thinking, but what about Matt Cassel? He's the one piece of the puzzle that can spoil the party. It's not like the Jets fans will make things any easier for Cassel here in what I believe is his first ever start.

I'm expecting two interceptions out of him. In fact I wouldn't even rule out him getting pulled out by the 2nd half.
    Yes, he is indeed a questionable piece of this puzzle. He could have taken this week to let the nerves really build over starting for NE - nerves that didn't have a chance to materialize in week one's imprompt outting.
    Lots to consider here, but with the history of the NE head coach, I think I'm gonna take the Pats and the points. There's a lot of my heart that would like to see NE lose, but that kinda thinking doesn't win money.

maritime
    maritime's Avatar Become A Pro!

Don't they need a quarterback who understands the game though? Cassel has ridden the bench his entire short career, Mangini will throw the book at him to confuse and rattle him.
    I don't think the pats, which most agree draft well, would take a QB that was backup at USC and keep him as their number 2 guy for several years if the comment above was true. If you don't think that Belicheck has considered the possibility of Brady getting injured over those several years and who would step in, you are gravely mistaken. The pats will rally around this guy.

Poker_Beast
    Poker_Beast's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 17999

I am on the Jets but not real big.

arpeggiomeister
    arpeggiomeister's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2918

I would agree Matt Cassel blows goat cheese. He looked terrible in the preseason... ...however, he is now playing with the first stringers.

People don't think the Pats have a running game simply because Brady hasn't been using them. Anybody who believes there is no running game for the Pats are going to be in for a shock, I think. There is a difference between not having a running game and not needing a running game. Brady has been throwing so much that Maroney and Morris never get a chance to show what they can do. Things have changed. Now we are going to find out what these guys can do.

I am a Pats fan but I am staying away from this one. I respect the coach, the team has a ton of weapons, but I agree that Cassel is a huge question mark. I was pleasantly surprised in the Chiefs game but I don't trust this guy yet. He doesn't have to be great, just good. If he can do that than NYJ is in trouble. Problem is that I don't trust him to be good. This game is a coin toss in my mind.

Brady2Moss
    Brady2Moss's Avatar Become A Pro!

Im sure the pats will implement some easy offensive plays for casell... Some screens, dump-offs to Faulk, quick routes to Welker... With the talent around him, it wont be hard to "manage" the offense.

BadBeatBodog
    BadBeatBodog's Avatar Become A Pro!

The Pats' offense is versatile and talented enough to be tweaked by Belichick to make Cassel's life easier. My opinion is that the Pats' running game is MUCH stronger than people give it credit for, making the Pats' offense still pretty darn good.

Redchevy
    Redchevy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5697

Quote Originally Posted by BadBeatBodog View Post
    The Pats' offense is versatile and talented enough to be tweaked by Belichick to make Cassel's life easier. My opinion is that the Pats' running game is MUCH stronger than people give it credit for, making the Pats' offense still pretty darn good.
    I'm of the same opinion here, Belichick will protect and shorten the play book for Cassel. He NEEDS this kid to succeed and he'll do everything he can to ensure that. Watch the defense come out like rabid dogs, forcing Farve and Co. into bad situations. This NE team is all around more talented and Belichick will rally the troops to the cause. This is an ego driven Team and it starts at the top.

BadBeatBodog

My only concern in this game is the Pats' weak secondary against Favre and those WRs, but I feel the Patriots have a great d-line to go against the talented Jets' offensive line and cause enough pressure to get the secondary off the hook a little bit. The key for the Pats on offense has now changed from score score score at will, to pound the rock, control the clock, and keep the opposing offense off the field. Not only do I think the Pats can do this, but they also have Moss and Welker to keep the Jets' defense honest and hopefully get the one or two big plays.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Two mirror images here.

The Pats are a well-oiled machine that will continue to function regardless of who throws the ball. Courtesy of the best O-line in the NFL. Cassel is an unknown, so gets a few 'free' games, before his weaknesses are on film. And of course the Pats culture is more than ready to show the world they're more than Brady.

And the other side, a team in the earliest stages of gelling. With a star QB who's trying to memorize the playbook. The Jets were horrible last week, yet somehow pulled out the win against lowly Miami. If you want to know anything about this organization, look no further than that they had to throw on fourth and forever, because their FG kicker was hurt and they had no backup... It turned into a Hail Mary that ended up winning them the game. And they're supposed to challenge the team that, but for a similar miracle throw, would be defending another Superbowl?

Big mistake to take the KC game as example of what is going to happen. That was improvising. New England had a week to prepare for Sunday. The last time they were challenged like this was when spygate broke. They won one - big- for Bellichick. They'll win this one for Brady. This line is based on public perception of two QB's (one missing, the other a HOF-er), without any consideration beyond that. Miami had little trouble getting to Favre. Expect him to be spending the afternoon on his back, or throwing interceptions.

BadBeatBodog

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
    Two mirror images here.

The Pats are a well-oiled machine that will continue to function regardless of who throws the ball. Courtesy of the best O-line in the NFL. Cassel is an unknown, so gets a few 'free' games, before his weaknesses are on film. And of course the Pats culture is more than ready to show the world they're more than Brady.

And the other side, a team in the earliest stages of gelling. With a star QB who's trying to memorize the playbook. The Jets were horrible last week, yet somehow pulled out the win against lowly Miami. If you want to know anything about this organization, look no further than that they had to throw on fourth and forever, because their FG kicker was hurt and they had no backup... It turned into a Hail Mary that ended up winning them the game. And they're supposed to challenge the team that, but for a similar miracle throw, would be defending another Superbowl?

Big mistake to take the KC game as example of what is going to happen. That was improvising. New England had a week to prepare for Sunday. The last time they were challenged like this was when spygate broke. They won one - big- for Bellichick. They'll win this one for Brady. This line is based on public perception of two QB's (one missing, the other a HOF-er), without any consideration beyond that. Miami had little trouble getting to Favre. Expect him to be spending the afternoon on his back, or throwing interceptions.
    Excellent post IMO

02stampede
    02stampede's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by BadBeatBodog View Post
    Excellent post IMO
    +1