thePHISH
    thePHISH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

What's up?

My names Oscar and I'm from Australia. I'm 23 and have been betting casually for maybe 4 years.

Pretty much I want to start taking this more serious and hopefully make some money. Funnily enough money and sport are my two favourite things.

Basically what I'm looking for is some advice. I'm not asking for free tips or anything. I'm looking for advice on money management, finding value and some of the terminology. In Australia we don't used terms such as "juice" "vig" or "spread".

I would say the sports that would be my "specialties" would be the EPL, AFL and the NBA in that order.

I my bank roll is about $350. Last week I started with 20 and got to 500 in a week until Sharapova screwed me and not the way I want Maria Sharapova to screw me.

I would say I'm quite good at picking a winner but I guess I'm a bit rough around the edges and lack the maturity of a seasoned veteran.

In closing I want to learn as much as I can because there is no such thing as bad knowledge and the more you learn the more you earn. I also want to learn more so I can do this right.

If anyone is willing to take on an "apprentice" hit me up.

Oh and I'm not all about take and no give so here is a tip for all of you. Don't ever touch the A-League. Ever.

Buffalo Nickle
    Buffalo Nickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 878

I'd take your $350 and deposit it at a book that will give you a 50% cash bonus or 100% free play bonus or better if you can get it. Bet $10 or ($11 to win $10 at -110 odds) per game based on a $1,000 pot.

On games you like a lot up your bets to $22 or $33 and if you can't believe the line $55 max. Reload the account taking a bonus each time you run out of money and when you have lost $1,000 quit gambling.

Make your average bet 1% of your gambling allocation and you'll be alright. If you are a good gambler, you will weather the downturns and compound your winnings over time. IF not, you will know when the money runs out that you stink at gambling and should give it up because you had your chance and have no excuses.

Buffalo Nickle

When it comes to finding "value." Value is any line that is wrong which unfortunately you don't find out until the game is over. That usually involves someone with a computer model deciding the line is a bit off. You probably don't have a computer model so you find value using the old noodle.

Some people will find value by betting lines that are off market. But that's kind of a nerd way to bet and not how most people want to win and it will probably be only marginally successful anyway and if you are betting with a good book there will not be much available regardless.

thePHISH

Thanks for the input.

I guess betting is a bit more limited in Australia. So if I start with a bankroll of say $500 my average bet would be $5. I guess it will be a bit of trial and error. I don't get discouraged easily so I will see how I go I guess.

Buffalo Nickle

Quote Originally Posted by thePHISH View Post
    Thanks for the input.

I guess betting is a bit more limited in Australia. So if I start with a bankroll of say $500 my average bet would be $5. I guess it will be a bit of trial and error. I don't get discouraged easily so I will see how I go I guess.
    That would be a smart way to do it if you are willing. I'd say betting $10 would be alright because even if you have a $1,000 betting account, you aren't ever going to put it all in action. So if you are just starting, you can bet as if you are betting $1,000 and reload as you lose. Of course, if you are losing, it means you probably aren't all that good.

So if you think you are pretty good, go ahead and assume $1,000 if that is what you are willing to lose. If you are willing to lose $500, bet $5.

thePHISH

Excellent! 1000 is certainly all I would be willing to lose haha!

Are there any books, blogs or strategies you could push me towards? Is there such thing as a "successful system"?

Buffalo Nickle

Smart man. You don't want to lose too much at this stuff.

There aren't any systems that are going to win. It all comes down to whether or not you can determine who is going to win or lose and by how much. So keep your bets strong and don't get overconfident if you start winning. Remember that the other guy has a computer model and is a lot smarter. So you've got to pick your spots. Try not to bet too many games and make your bets count.

thePHISH

Thanks for all the help man. I'll post my results and my bets regardless of if I crash and burn or become a millionaire haha

Buffalo Nickle

Quote Originally Posted by thePHISH View Post
    Thanks for all the help man. I'll post my results and my bets regardless of if I crash and burn or become a millionaire haha
    Good luck.

Madison
    Madison's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13605

Limit your exposure to juice. Bet to win not for action. And then a lot of what the Nickel said.

rpesi9955
    rpesi9955's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1441

Good luck man. Do some homework and pick good spots to make good bets.

fugitive
    fugitive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 160

buffalo has good points

Zcrenshaw24lead
    Zcrenshaw24lead's Avatar Become A Pro!

I was raised on a mountain
    Born in a Cave . Betting and Gambling is all I crave take Kentucky tonight at home there for real .