No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

I'm a Big Ten fan, but....

Illinois getting into the field over Colorado might be the biggest travesty in the 25-plus years I've watched college basketball.

Also, whose wife did Seth Greenburg sleep with on the committee to get snubbed year after year at VT? Hokies should've made it over VCU, Illinois and USC IMHO.

agharah1
    agharah1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1191

Colorado = 5 losses in the worst non-conference schedule played by any major conference school. Colorado = a loss and a 2pt come from behind win vs. Iowa State to finish the season. Colorado = 3 of their 4 best wins over the same team. And finally, how much weight do you think the committee gave to that Texas win if they made Texas a 4 seed? On top of all that their RPI was in the 60s.

Ch3fDan
    Go Blue
    Ch3fDan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 100

How is Illinois the team you're singling out that shouldn't be in over Colorado? I know USC is a quality team and may win a few games, but I don't believe they deserve to be there. I think you can find far less accomplished teams in this field than Illinois, even Penn St for that matter. The problem with this is everyone has their own opinion and you're never going to win these arguments, so that being said and the field set, I'm ready for some basketball.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by agharah1 View Post
    Colorado = 5 losses in the worst non-conference schedule played by any major conference school. Colorado = a loss and a 2pt come from behind win vs. Iowa State to finish the season. Colorado = 3 of their 4 best wins over the same team. And finally, how much weight do you think the committee gave to that Texas win if they made Texas a 4 seed? On top of all that their RPI was in the 60s.
    They also beat K-State three times.

Illinois beat Wisconsin at home and North Carolina on a neutral court. That's it. They lost to UIC on a neutral court. They're 6-10 in their last 16. They have no business being in this field. Period.

jarvol
    jarvol's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3670

The committee has sent VT the same message for years and that is improve your schedule yet they continue to play patsies and have a horrendous SOS at the end of the year. They followed up their Duke win with losses to BC and awful UVA. They were swept by UVA. If you get swept by UVA you don't deserve a bid. Harvard and Colorado got snubbed the worst IMO.

Ch3fDan
    Go Blue

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post

Illinois beat Wisconsin at home and North Carolina on a neutral court. That's it. They lost to UIC on a neutral court. They're 6-10 in their last 16. They have no business being in this field. Period.
    I understand how you can feel that way and believe me I think Colorado should be in the field. I just think you can make a case for Illinois over teams like Clemson, VCU, and USC. I don't quite understand how Penn St. pushed themselves seemingly off the bubble and aren't being talked about as much. Don't get me wrong I am a huge Talor Battle fan and love that they got in, but it's weird how they were talked about as an extreme bubble team an hour before the selections, and then they aren't even talked about in the controversy.

The bottom line is Colorado should be in, Illinois has their case, and the committee needs some work.

zephyr
    zephyr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 581

The best way for the "snubbed" teams to make their point is to go win the NIT. And they never do that.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Ch3fDan View Post
    I understand how you can feel that way and believe me I think Colorado should be in the field. I just think you can make a case for Illinois over teams like Clemson, VCU, and USC. I don't quite understand how Penn St. pushed themselves seemingly off the bubble and aren't being talked about as much. Don't get me wrong I am a huge Talor Battle fan and love that they got in, but it's weird how they were talked about as an extreme bubble team an hour before the selections, and then they aren't even talked about in the controversy.

The bottom line is Colorado should be in, Illinois has their case, and the committee needs some work.
    Penn State played its way in by making the BTT final. I'm OK with that. I don't even think they were in the discussion much before the BTT began. What did Illinois do there? Oh that's right, they pissed all over themselves against Michigan. That should've sealed their fate.

Clemson, VCU and USC being in is weak as well, but Illinois is the worst IMHO.

Pensinger1
    Pensinger1's Avatar Become A Pro!

I agree with OP. Colorado got abolutley screwed.

Ch3fDan
    Go Blue

Penn State played its way in by making the BTT final. I'm OK with that. I don't even think they were in the discussion much before the BTT began. What did Illinois do there? Oh that's right, they pissed all over themselves against Michigan. That should've sealed their fate.

Hah I see I'm not going to hinder your stance at all and I'm cool with that. I'm one of the biggest Big Ten homers you'll find and hey, pissing themselves against Michigan was a great thing. I do think a case could be made for them but I think both of us agree mistakes were made.

On another note... At first I thought Seth Greenberg had a legitimate case, but now he is just acting like a child. He takes a shot at the committee last night and ok I can understand that in the heat of everything, but he tweeted this morning whining about the committee and then quickly deleted it. If your team really did get snubbed, go roll through the NIT.

wookieehumper
    wookieehumper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

Until a bubble team wins it all, nobody should really care about these crappy teams not getting in.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21689

Illinois getting into the field over Colorado might be the biggest travesty in the 25-plus years I've watched college basketball.

Also, whose wife did Seth Greenburg sleep with on the committee to get snubbed year after year at VT? Hokies should've made it over VCU, Illinois and USC IMHO.
    As a #9 seed, Illinois made it in ahead of at least 10 other teams, so that's an odd one to single out. I agree with Colorado (and Virginia Tech), but how about VCU or UAB or USC.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

Actually that's not it. They also beat SIX more NCAA tournament teams -- Gonzaga, Oakland, Northern Colorado, Penn State, Michigan and Michigan State. In addition to Wisconsin and North Carolina, that is a total of EIGHT different teams in the tournament that they beat this season. Illinois has been rather disappointing the last couple months, but their overall resume is clearly sufficient to warrant a bid.

Ch3fDan
    Go Blue

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    Actually that's not it. They also beat SIX more NCAA tournament teams -- Gonzaga, Oakland, Northern Colorado, Penn State, Michigan and Michigan State. In addition to Wisconsin and North Carolina, that is a total of EIGHT different teams in the tournament that they beat this season. Illinois has been rather disappointing the last couple months, but their overall resume is clearly sufficient to warrant a bid.
    Thank you.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

You're placing ultimate emphasis on the end. The committee has always looked a team's complete resume when making determinations. That said, they did a poor job this season in a number of respects, no doubt, but giving Illinois a bid wasn't one of the mistakes. VCU getting a bid is the single most obvious team that doesn't belong.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

All garbage teams that will be done by the first weekend -- if not in the first round.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

You're placing ultimate emphasis on the end. The committee has always looked a team's complete resume when making determinations. That said, they did a poor job this season in a number of respects, no doubt, but giving Illinois a bid wasn't one of the mistakes. VCU getting a bid is the single most obvious team that doesn't belong.
    Agree re: VCU.

Is L-10 not always mentioned as one of the things the selection committee looks at?

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

Agree re: VCU.

Is L-10 not always mentioned as one of the things the selection committee looks at?
    Honestly I think it's pretty obvious that it's a rather minor factor. I think a lot of people just remember a team's conference season and then postconference tourney. But I think the comm. actually puts a lot of emphasis on pre-conference games, and the quality of competition, or lack thereof. Particularly teams in power conferences (B10 ranked second) that may have .500 or so records, like Illinois, but when they played a strong pre-conf schedule, with pretty good success, that weighs heavily as compared to a team that scheduled a bunch of cupcakes and didn't beat anybody of note. It's a reminder that you had better schedule quality opponents if you want to have a good chance of dancing.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

None of these teams have a chance.

If you cant make the field of 68, or were on the edge of the discussion. Then you have to schedule stronger, and win some games.

Such as Michigan St. They are horrible, and beat no one. Yet their coach scheduled a suicide run, and was rewarded for doing so.

Mw1264
    Mw1264's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 244

I've been saying Illinois sweet 16 all year and I'm sticking to it just watch there my sleeper

pacers101
    pacers101's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 156

I think Penn st and MSU are the ones that should not have made it. VT beat Penn St head to head. you say penn st played their way in by making it to B10 final. then shouldn't Dayton be considered using that logic. they made it to A10 finals beating A10#1Xavier and has a better record than penn st. seriously what has either of these 2 teams done away from home, absolutely nothing. Colorado and VT should have been in the tourney over these two.

BettingWizard
    BettingWizard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

still waiting on Brock's opinion of Illinois before filling out my bracket

stefan084
    stefan084's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 601

I'm a Penn State fan but watching Big Ten basketball is painful