bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

More problems for Indiana

The Hoosiers will lose a scholarship for violating the NCAA rules. He should have known better than to make those phone calls in the first place.

Hoosiers lose scholarship, Sampson loses raise over calls

INDIANAPOLIS -- Telephone calls to basketball recruits have landed Indiana coach Kelvin Sampson in trouble again and will cost the team a scholarship and Sampson a scheduled $500,000 raise.

Indiana announced Sunday that the school's basketball staff exceeded NCAA limits on calls to recruits during the past year -- a period during which Sampson was prohibited from off-campus recruiting because of excessive recruiting calls when he was coaching at Oklahoma.

The new violations happened on about 10 occasions when an IU assistant coach started three-way calls that connected Sampson into an ongoing recruiting conversation with recruits, their parents or coaches, school officials said.

"We determined that the impermissible calls occurred because some staff members did not fully comply with the sanctions they were operating under," IU athletic director Rick Greenspan said in a school statement. "We are addressing the problem, and we are voluntarily extending these limitations on recruiting for another season to ensure that the full effect of NCAA restrictions or recruiting is realized."

Sampson, who is entering his second year leading the Hoosiers, and Greenspan were scheduled to discuss the sanctions with reporters Sunday afternoon.

Sampson is voluntarily giving up a scheduled $500,000 raise for this season and the basketball program will lose one scholarship for next season, school officials said.

Wassymac
    Wassymac's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

That guy seems to care less about any rules. Indiana bailed him out while he left Oklahoma in ruins and now he's pulling the same stuff again.

Wassymac

They've even got Kent Benson calling for Sampson's head. I think this one ends up ugly.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...0601/310150001

Doc JS
    Doc JS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

I think Sampson sorta got a pass on the stuff at Oklahoma. I'm not sure he'll be so lucky this time...

bigboydan

Sampson received a $500,000 fine and a loss of a scholarship over this latest scandal.

Wassymac

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan View Post
    Sampson received a $500,000 fine and a loss of a scholarship over this latest scandal.
    BBD...do you think the NCAA will accept IU's punishment or take it a step further? I'd be surprised if this is all that happened here. These are words directly from the 2006 NCAA report on Sampson.

This case is a result of the former head coach's complete disregard for Bylaw 13 telephone contact limitations during the four-year timeframe (2000-04).* The former head coach created and encouraged an atmosphere among his staff of deliberate non-compliance, rationalizing the violations as being the result of "prioritizing" rules.* Though he acknowledged that he knowingly violated NCAA recruiting legislation, he did not take the phone contact violations seriously.* He considered them to be unimportant in comparison to, for example, the provision of significant material inducements for prospects, even though the end result could have been the same, securing the commitment of a prospective student-athlete by operating outside recruiting rules.* The former head coach preferred to think of what he and his staff were doing as "hard work" rather than cheating.

goldengoat
    goldengoat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 126

sampson won't get fired yet

he is catching some heat but hoosier nation is more concerned with the chances IU has to do some serious damage this year

if they fall below expectations that won't help but right now Sampson's job is safe for sure

you have to realize that IU followers were pissed about Mike Davis losing 5 star recruits one after the other from Indiana (Oden, McRoberts, Conley Jr.) so people are not going to overreact to someone going overboard in recruiting

it is a little embarassing to the university though and that's never a good thing to do. he better learn his lesson cause next time he might not be so lucky.

Wassymac

I was talking more about what else the NCAA may do. I understand Indiana has already done what they are going to do.

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by Wassymac View Post
    I was talking more about what else the NCAA may do. I understand Indiana has already done what they are going to do.
    I don't think any farther sanctions will be levied against Indiana over this one at all Wassymac. I feel that $500,000 bonus pretty much was the end of this saga.

buzzsawl
    buzzsawl's Avatar Become A Pro!

I love IU. I hate the violations. Sampson's job is safe i think because top players are coming to IU.

lbw1000
    lbw1000's Avatar Become A Pro!

Noticed IU is #9 even with all the stuff going on...proves that they are tough

Wassymac

I still don't think this is over. Just have to believe the NCAA will want to make a stand here against Sampson. We'll just have to wait and see

odusmykal
    odusmykal's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5944

I agree Wassymac.. The NCAA will not keep allowing this..

bigboydan

Sampson should have been the one that resigned.

Senderoff reaches settlement to leave Indiana

INDIANAPOLIS -- Indiana assistant Rob Senderoff, still the focus of an investigation into improper telephone calls to recruits, resigned Tuesday.

So far, the investigation has cost the Hoosiers one basketball scholarship and coach Kelvin Sampson a $500,000 pay raise. The NCAA is still conducting its own investigation, which could lead to further sanctions.

"Rob Senderoff has decided it is in his and Indiana University's best interests that he voluntarily resign," the school said in a statement.

Senderoff, a former assistant at Kent State, was hired by Sampson in May 2006, the same month the NCAA sanctioned Sampson for making 577 impermissible phone calls between 2000-2004 while he was the coach at Oklahoma.

Sampson was barred from calling recruits or making off-campus recruiting trips for one year, but on Oct. 14, less than five months after those sanctions expired, Indiana announced its compliance office had discovered new violations that occurred while the original sanctions were still in effect.

The university investigation found that Senderoff connected Sampson to 10 three-way calls involving recruits, which normally are permitted under NCAA rules but were banned as part of the previous sanctions. It also found that Senderoff made the majority of 35 undocumented calls from his home.

As a result of the internal investigation, Indiana gave up one basketball scholarship in 2008-09 and Sampson forfeited his pay raise. Also, Senderoff gave up a scheduled pay raise and was banned from calling recruits and making off-campus recruiting visits for one year.

After the findings of the Indiana investigation were disclosed, Sampson said Senderoff initiated calls with recruits in part because of a weak signal on Sampson's cell phone.

But Sampson said he wasn't aware that nine of the 10 calls were three-way connections. The one he knew was a three-way call was to clear up questions from a recruit who had already committed to making an on-campus visit, he said.

goldengoat
    goldengoat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 126

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan View Post
    Sampson should have been the one that resigned.

you're a drama queen if you think sampson should have resigned just for making too many phone calls

it was a dumb move but let's not get carried away

buzzsawl
    buzzsawl's Avatar Become A Pro!

IU wont put up with this crap for very long