KRIT
    KRIT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20370

What Is The Play For Duke-UNC?

Surprised to see Duke laying points here. Line is Duke -1.5. Figured it would be a PK, or UNC as a very slight fave.

Based on this initial line, I'm thinking Duke.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Duke or nothing.

Despite home court advantage for UNC, the Devils are the much, much better team.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: timsjungle

KRIT
    KRIT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20370

Yeah Duke is way better. But as we've seen, better teams don't always win. Best play might be no play on this game. Hard to pass on such a big game though. If I do bet this game, probably won't be for more than a unit.

Bet10Heinekens
    Bet10Heinekens's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5044

Tar Heels peaking right now, one of the hottest team in the nation

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Bet10Heinekens View Post
    Tar Heels peaking right now, one of the hottest team in the nation
    Still play zero D, though, and Roy will get out-coached by K.

grease lightnin
    &
    grease lightnin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3185

Doubled up on Duke -1.5 last night. Tarheels have weak perimeter defense and duke has too many who can shoot the 3. UNC can rebound, but Duke coming off two lackluster performances will be up for this rivalry. If blue devils can hang inside the paint as well as keep UNC from penetrating, Duke rolls. It will be a fun game to watch either way and thats what its all about to me. Good luck to all. And yeah--the coach k thing.

HeeluvaGuy
    HeeluvaGuy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3926

Quote Originally Posted by grease lightnin View Post
    Doubled up on Duke -1.5 last night. Tarheels have weak perimeter defense and duke has too many who can shoot the 3. UNC can rebound, but Duke coming off two lackluster performances will be up for this rivalry. If blue devils can hang inside the paint as well as keep UNC from penetrating, Duke rolls. It will be a fun game to watch either way and thats what its all about to me. Good luck to all. And yeah--the coach k thing.
    As a UNC fan I don't bet Carolina games so don't take this as an endorsement or pick of any sort.

However, I do feel the need to point out the misconception that UNC doesn't play perimeter defense. They're actual #1 in the ACC in 3pt defense yielding only 30.7% from behind the arc.

Having said that, I fully expect dook to go 18-26 from 3 tonight...

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

both teams hot ats should be an interesting game

HeeluvaGuy

Another note: UNC has held dook to 32.7% 3-pt shooting in their last three meetings.

Roy tinkered with a 3-2 zone early in the year and it was pretty effective. I don't recall seeing it recently but think it could return tonight against the devils.

I fully agree that this game will turn on how dook performs from three. If they continue on their current tear, they win going away. However, if the Heels can limit dook's efficiency from behind the arc (they're shooting 38% in their five losses), they should have a chance at the upset. This is because dook's interior defense is atrocious.

Again, food for thought. I expect a close game with lots of runs. My fear is that some in dark blue will step up a la Seth Curry and kill the Heels. (My candidates for that honor are Hood and Sulaimon. I figure Parker and McAdoo will cancel each other out.)

Should be fun. Go Heels!

irish1
    Update your status
    irish1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5081

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    Duke or nothing.

Despite home court advantage for UNC, the Devils are the much, much better team.
    Agree! Duke is playing real good! Rivalry or not the Blue Devils should win.

mahncpa
    mahncpa's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3000

Quote Originally Posted by HeeluvaGuy View Post
    As a UNC fan I don't bet Carolina games so don't take this as an endorsement or pick of any sort.

However, I do feel the need to point out the misconception that UNC doesn't play perimeter defense. They're actual #1 in the ACC in 3pt defense yielding only 30.7% from behind the arc.

Having said that, I fully expect dook to go 18-26 from 3 tonight...
    Heeluvaguy, I too am a UNC fan that does not beat on them. With dook/UNC, it seems to come down to dook hitting perimeter jumpers
    vs. UNC going inside. dook lives by the 3 and dies by the 3 pretty much. From a betting standpoint, you have to go with dook. They
    have played well against Pittsburgh and Syracuse on the road lately. The Heels have been hot, but mainly against team with losing conference records. Rivalary game that should come down to a few possessions. GL to everyone betting this one and Go Heels!!!!!!!!!!!

RollinDo
    Pickin' up Momentum with every lost Bet!
    RollinDo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5251

Everyone on Duke - UNC is the play tonight - very hot team right now and lots of confidence. And they are the dog at home???
    You all can take the Dukies if you want, but I'm not waivering.

ncwahoowa
    ncwahoowa's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 359

Albeit a uva fan, most of my friends went to carolina and all of us really only watch ACC basketball for years, so I like to think we know the ACC dynamic you can't get from looking at numbers/stats. We are pretty much all on Duke -1.5. Not (and never) a lock, but feeling pretty confident about it.

I was kind of surprised by the line actually just because before this got cancelled it was -2.5. Carolina looks to have picked up some momentum as of late thanks to their deep bench that pulled them out of a nightmare first half against FSU, but I feel like with the way Duke has played in the Dean Dome in the past (4-1 L5), and how they play so well on the road in general, I think Duke will win and cover. Duke 75-71

BOL

RollinDo
    Pickin' up Momentum with every lost Bet!
    RollinDo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5251

Quote Originally Posted by ncwahoowa View Post
    Albeit a uva fan, most of my friends went to carolina and all of us really only watch ACC basketball for years, so I like to think we know the ACC dynamic you can't get from looking at numbers/stats. We are pretty much all on Duke -1.5. Not (and never) a lock, but feeling pretty confident about it.

I was kind of surprised by the line actually just because before this got cancelled it was -2.5. Carolina looks to have picked up some momentum as of late thanks to their deep bench that pulled them out of a nightmare first half against FSU, but I feel like with the way Duke has played in the Dean Dome in the past (4-1 L5), and how they play so well on the road in general, I think Duke will win and cover. Duke 75-71

BOL

Thanks for the input ncwahoowa!

MarcusPaige
    MarcusPaige's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 986

Still play zero D, though, and Roy will get out-coached by K.

LOL at zero D. They lead the ACC in defensive rebounding, 3rd in blocks, 2nd in steals behind Syracuse. That's in addition to leading the league in 3 pt. defense like already mentioned. This team's defense is good, you're stuck in 2005.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusPaige View Post
    LOL at zero D. They lead the ACC in defensive rebounding, 3rd in blocks, 2nd in steals behind Syracuse. That's in addition to leading the league in 3 pt. defense like already mentioned. This team's defense is good, you're stuck in 2005.
    107th nationally in scoring D this year, 241st last season, 170th year before that ... would you like for me to continue?

HeeluvaGuy

107th nationally in scoring D this year, 241st last season, 170th year before that ... would you like for me to continue?
    What are these rankings?

UNC is giving up about .96 per possession this year, which is somewhere in the 30s nationally. dook is just south of 100, surrendering almost exactly 1 point per possession.

HeeluvaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HeeluvaGuy View Post
    Another note: UNC has held dook to 32.7% 3-pt shooting in their last three meetings.

Roy tinkered with a 3-2 zone early in the year and it was pretty effective. I don't recall seeing it recently but think it could return tonight against the devils.

I fully agree that this game will turn on how dook performs from three. If they continue on their current tear, they win going away. However, if the Heels can limit dook's efficiency from behind the arc (they're shooting 38% in their five losses), they should have a chance at the upset. This is because dook's interior defense is atrocious.

Again, food for thought. I expect a close game with lots of runs. My fear is that some in dark blue will step up a la Seth Curry and kill the Heels. (My candidates for that honor are Hood and Sulaimon. I figure Parker and McAdoo will cancel each other out.)

Should be fun. Go Heels!
    dook shot 22.7% and Carolina played the 3-2 for almost the entire 2nd half. Roy got one over k tonight.

MarcusPaige

Yes, dipshit, I would like for you to continue. I would like to continue to show this board what a complete idiot you are.

When you run an up tempo offense and your average possession lasts 10 seconds, the other team gets more possessions and your scoring defense doesn't mean shit. Points per possession does mean shit. Now at least your stupidity learned your sorry capping ass something tonight. Now enjoy your happy meal and good luck winning back your losses now that you know one thing you were too ignorant to even think about before.

Scoring defense.

IDIOT.

ETA: You have 60,000 posts here? On a capping board?? And you cap like that??? God help you.
    Last edited by MarcusPaige; 02-21-14 at 01:14 AM.

MarcusPaige

Still waiting for the hack with 60,000 posts on this POS site to explain why he caps based on scoring defense.

HACK.

MarcusPaige

Here's a link to some stats that some of you may find useful: http://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-bas...ive-efficiency

I know it will be a shocker for some to learn that teams who only give up 60 points a game because they hold the ball for 30 seconds every possession don't necessarily have the best defense.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusPaige View Post
    Still waiting for the hack with 60,000 posts on this POS site to explain why he caps based on scoring defense.

HACK.
    Who said I used PPG allowed as a capping device? This has nothing to do with gambling. Carolina has always had a sub-par defense under Roy Williams. This isn't news.

My track record here speaks for itself. I can provide you season-long threads with units won/lost if you'd like. Until then, why don't you study up on Carolina's lock-down D, or the stupid idea that fans rush the court after every Carolina/Duke game.

TakingVegasMoney
    TakingVegasMoney's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 881

From 15:30ish in te 2H to about 6:06 (roughly 9 minutes) duke was held without a FG. That was the difference. They were up by 1-4 for te majority of that stretch without hitting a shot. All they needed was a few shots here or there and they win that one... Sucks. Can't wait to see duke vs Syracuse tho

MarcusPaige

Quote Originally Posted by TakingVegasMoney View Post
    From 15:30ish in te 2H to about 6:06 (roughly 9 minutes) duke was held without a FG. That was the difference. They were up by 1-4 for te majority of that stretch without hitting a shot. All they needed was a few shots here or there and they win that one... Sucks. Can't wait to see duke vs Syracuse tho
    How is that possible that Duke went 9 minutes in the second half without a field goal??? They have Jabari Parker and all that talent and UNC plays ZERO defense. I just don't understand. I bet UNC snuck a lid on their basket. And that Roy Williams, he was just manipulating those refs and coach K just can't do that. Duke never gets calls.