yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

I actually would expect Rutgers to face some kind of legal action over this (moreso than Rice himself).

People like Rice should not be made coaches, and the fact that the administration let it continue for so long is appalling.

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3353

Quote Originally Posted by yisman View Post
    I actually would expect Rutgers to face some kind of legal action over this (moreso than Rice himself).

People like Rice should not be made coaches, and the fact that the administration let it continue for so long is appalling.
    Wonder if Rice had a similar MO when he was head coach at Robert Morris. He was a lot more successful there than at Rutgers. Maybe the pressure to win and $$$'s got into his head. You would think his reputation would have preceded him before he signed on with Rutgers.

I/O
    I/O's Avatar Become A Pro!

Over the years? Guy hasn't been a head coach that long.

There definitely could be lawsuits coming. These things take time.

Final numbers on Mike Rice at Rutgers:

44-51 record, 16-38 in conference play

Terrible coach, bully, probably mental issues.
    Mike Rice
    Sport(s) Basketball
    Biographical details
    Born February 13, 1969 (age 44)
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
    Playing career
    1987–1991 Fordham
    Coaching career (HC unless noted)
    1991–1994
    1994–1997
    1997–1998
    1998–2001
    2004–2006
    2006–2007
    2007–2010
    2010–2013
    Fordham (asst.)
    Marquette (asst.)
    Niagara (asst.)
    Chicago State (asst.)
    Saint Joseph's (asst.)
    Pittsburgh (asst.)
    Robert Morris
    Rutgers

yisman

What's your point? He hasn't been a head coach that long and I don't know if he was even doing this at Robert Morris. So what you pasted backs me up.

His years as an assistant are irrelevant.

You say over the years like he's been a head coach for 30 years and no one ever said anything. He started at Rutgers 2.5 years ago.

I/O

What's your point? He hasn't been a head coach that long and I don't know if he was even doing this at Robert Morris. So what you pasted backs me up.

His years as an assistant are irrelevant.

You say over the years like he's been a head coach for 30 years and no one ever said anything.
    He started at Rutgers 2.5 years ago.
    never said or inferred anything

guess you're gonna read into a simple post what you want

Nothing I pasted backs you up. What are you reading? Guy has been a head coach for a number of years at two different places. This video itself is from a while back. ESPN decided it was a slow news day so they posted it now.

STILL NO LAWSUITS

get it yet?

I/O

Family goes into a lawyers office......This coach has been throwing balls at various players nutz for 6 or 7 years. Lawyer can't take the case saying it hasn't been 30.

yisman

Quote Originally Posted by I/O View Post
    never said or inferred anything

guess you're gonna read into a simple post what you want

Nothing I pasted backs you up. What are you reading? Guy has been a head coach for a number of years at two different places. This video itself is from a while back. ESPN decided it was a slow news day so they posted it now.

STILL NO LAWSUITS

get it yet?
    Thank you for proving you lack reading comprehension.

You say "One of these men, or parents of them, over the years would have gone legal seeing as they could have used the money/notoriety"

I point out that he hasn't been a HC that long.

You reply by proving what I said by copying and pasting from Wikipedia.

get it yet? He was hired less than 3 years ago to coach at Rutgers.

So yeah, he could easily face a lawsuit. They take time to put together.

I/O

forget it

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30698

This coach should have his hands tied behind his back and punched in the balls repeatedly for 15 minutes by Iron Mike Tyson.

Crate Mayne
    Crate Mayne's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yeah I gotta agree... You guys that say "it happened to me, so what" don't understand the point. If it happened to you, you had a shitty coach. That isn't the norm. Verbal abuse is a part of the job, but physical abuse isn't.

When I decided to pledge a fraternity (no gay demeaning shit like eating throw-up, fish, etc, just basically boot camp hell every night) I SIGNED UP FOR IT.... You don't sign up for a sports team expecting to get balls thrown at your head. There is no coaching books that state it as a sound technique to get the most out of your players. It's just the product of a coach with anger issues. He was fired, albeit later than he should have been, but in the end, he deserved to get fired.

But I also really don't see any legal action taking place against the school or coach, because it wasn't extreme abuse... Sure it created a hostile environment, but it wasn't like he took players aside and beat them bloody. But then again, if lawyers do step in they'll be sure to amplify the situation to fit their case, so you never really know.
    Last edited by Crate Mayne; 04-03-13 at 07:30 PM.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

those players are so sad and demoralized that they will all end up like Jenny from forest gump. empty souls. I wonder how many players transferred from Rutgers during Rice's time there. I will bet more will transfer out now that he is gone. How ironic? Like an abused and battered wife.

jarvol
    jarvol's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3670

Eric Murdock gonna get paid.

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25689

Quote Originally Posted by jarvol View Post
    Eric Murdock gonna get paid.
    Murdock doesn't look too good in this situation either, he only released the video after he found out he wasn't going to keep his job. He'd been trying to blackmail Rutgers and it didn't work so he put the video out.

SEKTAUR
    SEKTAUR's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19046

guarantee this dirtbag beats his wife f'ckn loser

The Giant
    The Giant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

There is nothing wrong with calling people homophobic names and trying to start fights.

It happens every day at Players Talk.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21677

I wonder if any of the players ever complained to the university or to higher ups.

I/O

Might wanna back off a bit with the pitch forks and torches. Some players saying it wasn't as bad or as often as the vid depicts. Also this went on in front of recruits. Meaning, some players knew what was coming if they went to Rutgers.

thfootball
    thfootball's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7659

Ncaa probably knows all about this stuff, let's hear what they have to say now, or all being pushed under the carpet.

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25689

Might wanna back off a bit with the pitch forks and torches. Some players saying it wasn't as bad or as often as the vid depicts. Also this went on in front of recruits. Meaning, some players knew what was coming if they went to Rutgers.
    If the only incidents that happened are the ones in that video that's enough for me. He should have been fired months ago.

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

Still find it shocking that anyone defends this toolbag for ANY reason. Could care less about the tongue lashings. That isn't even an issue. I was shocked to learn today that several fox types think it's ok to be violent when it's not necessary and it's the 'pussification of 'merica' in Rice being fired. The only pussies in this debate are the people saying it happened to them and thinking it's ok. Shit like that penetrates people mentally. It ain't ok. Rice is pathetic and deserves whatever he gets - his defenders are even more pathetic.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Battered wife syndrome.

Art Vandelay
    Corona on St. Pats... WTF!
    Art Vandelay's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 57553

Did you see Rutgers play this season! These guys needed a kick in the ass...

Ernie Mccracken
    Ernie Mccracken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4304

I had a high school coach who acted like that. Total nutcase. He even spit on me after a particularly bad game. Took all the fun out of the sport.

tony_come
    tony_come's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1122

Mike rice is my daddy

Mike rice is my bigdaddy

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

had this coach in high school who used to get in everyone's face, right up in your face, and yell slowly "DO . . .YOU . . . WANT . . .IT? DO YOU?"

he was tough and we liked him ok but we used to make fun of that shit all the time behind his back didn't fukking throw balls at us and kick us though, that's crazy.

CBASS
    BUCK FAMA
    CBASS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 815

Tony Dungy won a Super Bowl.....never cursed or raised his voice. So, I don't wanna hear that you must coach like a jackass to get your point across.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Ratpack

Sportsbetting123
    Sportsbetting123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7617

Can't believe they fired him over this. He should they give him his job back and a fat raise.

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3353

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsbetting123 View Post
    Can't believe they fired him over this. He should they give him his job back and a fat raise.
    Rice was 44-51 and 16-38 in the Big East over 3 seasons.

YouHave2outs
    YouHave2outs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 198

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsbetting123 View Post

Brebos
    Brebos's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 271

tuff love

yisman

AD Pernetti was fired today

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422